craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

1 edit

craig70130

Premium Member

[CATV] Certain channels "unavailable"

This has been happening for over a year and may have been discussed but I can' find anything...

If I have my HD box (non-DVR) on a certain channel for more than a set amount of time (6 hours maybe?), it switches over to a screen that says it's unavailable or some nonsense. If I happen to be watching it before it goes off, a message comes up prompting me to press Select to keep viewing. If I don't, it goes offline. This does not happen on my DVR box. This does not happen on all channels.

All I have to do is pop the channel up or down one to get it back for another six or so hours.

Ideas?
Azlen
join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ

Azlen

More than likely those are SDV channels. They are handled differently with cable card devices than they are on the cable box. To save bandwidth, cable companies only send you the signal for that channel when you request it. Rather than sending the signal to someone who may not be watching the channel, it asks you to acknowledge that you are still watching when you are watching it with a cable card device. The whole purpose of a tuning adapter is to get these channels.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy to craig70130

Anon

to craig70130
said by craig70130:

This has been happening for over a year and may have been discussed but I can' find anything...

If I have my HD box (non-DVR) on a certain channel for more than a set amount of time (6 hours maybe?), it switches over to a screen that says it's unavailable or some nonsense. If I happen to be watching it before it goes off, a message comes up prompting me to press Select to keep viewing. If I don't, it goes offline. This does not happen on my DVR box. This does not happen on all channels.

All I have to do is pop the channel up or down one to get it back for another six or so hours.

Ideas?

It is definitely Switched Digital!

This first post is a good write up about it:

»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=357703