share rss forum feed

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

1 edit
reply to DanteX

Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

Neutering of bandwidth cap first...

Airtime minutes next.

I see this as a growing trend with Telus.

telususer

join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

When is Telus going to start strangling Teksavvy?

roach9

join:2005-04-10
Surrey, BC
reply to Foggy

My bandwidth usage is ridiculous.

Down/up = 3TB this month, 5TB in Dec/Jan, 7TB in Nov/Dec, and then an average of 3TB the months prior.

Never heard a peep from Telus, on the 25 Optik plan.

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS

said by roach9:

Never heard a peep from Telus, on the 25 Optik plan.

That's because last year Telus was still trying to compete with Shaw. This year it seems that Telus are positioning themselves so they can rake in the cash once Shaw actually implements their bump-up program and 1TB + 1byte will set Shaw customers back $195 a month.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

I know some of you will probably not like what I write sometimes.Never the less don't get personal we are talking about an issue and we all have our different points of view.
Setting up the TV side of the Telus business must have been very costly because for them it was from scratch. After it was all set up along comes Netflix.
That is one of the main reasons I feel Telus did this and as you know that the competition Shaw already has these usage limits and they didnot even have to set up from scratch their TV services.

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada

said by Kruisey:

That is on of the main reasons I feel Telus did this and as you know that the competition Shaw already has these usage limits and they didnot even have to set up from scratch their TV services.

What bandwidth issue?

National Cable and Telecommunications Association president Michael Powell told a Minority Media and Telecommunications Association audience that cable's interest in usage-based pricing was not principally about network congestion, but instead about pricing fairness.

»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···city.php

Maybe it's all the streaming that's causing problems on the network? After all, Telus only does DSL and thus shouldn't be put on the same plate as cable right? Anyone who uses Canadian Netflix knows the content on their service is lacking, to say the least. And the prices for iTunes, PSN and XBL movies are on par with regular physical media which makes them not very attractive for regular users. It seems very unlikely therefore that the emergence of Netflix has affected Canadian network capacity especially when the US has even more choice and alternatives like Hulu, Amazon, etc. and they're not having bandwidth problems.

So maybe there is a bandwidth problem for DSL? But then that begs the question why is Telus passing the buck off to existing customers instead of going after companies like Netflix that are using the internet to run their business? I guess the sad truth is it's easier to go after and dig into customers pockets over a large company's.

But maybe it's all the heavy bandwidth users that's spoiling it for the rest of us. Just like the magical 1% that are living it up while the rest of us 99% toil in misery, the "10%" is what's behind the bandwidth cap drop and price hike.

Well if bandwidth is the problem, then why not just halve the bandwidth and leave the pricing as is? As it is now, depending on what plan you were on the pricing has gone up by $13 this time alone. That's an incredibly high increase.

So maybe bandwidth is not a problem "now", but Telus needs more money to expand because they are getting up to capacity?
Sounds reasonable. But it makes you wonder why they offer discounted rates for new customers and also why they are offering a TV (retails for ~$850, you can find it for ~$650, Telus is probably getting them for ~$350) to expand their customer base on a near capacity network. Why work so hard to add incentives to add even more people to a network that might blow up at the seams?

Maybe Telus is struggling for funds to maintain proper service to it's customers? Maybe that's why they have to increase prices on existing customers AND get new ones? But a company that made 1.2 billion in net income can't be struggling that badly, can it? Shaw only made 500 million in net income as comparison.

So any way you cut it, it comes down to Telus doesn't give a fig about it's existing customers. They're assuming, and rightfully so sadly, that the majority of their customers will keep paying the prices and the new customers they get with their sweetened offers will offset any that leave.

It's a broken system, and Telus is using it to their full advantage.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

1 edit

I just sent the above mentioned to the following people and I encourage you to send these people direct emails as well

rob.thomas@telus.com Manager
darren.entwistle@telus.com president

as well add in the following people

Rachelle.Demosthene@telus.com, doug.strachan@telus.com, john.wheeler@telus.com, Eric-Pierre.Lavoie@telus.com, Devon Bergen

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

Everyone knows who Entwistle is.

I found these guys on a press release:

Doug Strachan, media relations (604) 816-3369 (cell)
John Wheeler, investor relations (780) 493-7310

Who are the rest?

Here is the email for the last name: Devon.Bergen@TELUS.COM

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to Foggy

Everybody email to these people that increases getting out of hand, Shaw will rake more customers in for raping fees. don't let these idiots ruin your telus switch over and experience from Shaw and get them to stop increasing rates and stop reducing services like caps. Email them and protest outside of their office. Do what you guys need to do.

EMAIL THEM NOW AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by bucko2012 :

Everybody email to these people that increases getting out of hand, Shaw will rake more customers in for raping fees. don't let these idiots ruin your telus switch over and experience from Shaw and get them to stop increasing rates and stop reducing services like caps. Email them and protest outside of their office. Do what you guys need to do.

EMAIL THEM NOW AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

lol. shaw's not much better (except they offer even fast packages with more bandwidth than cost even more). They also keep raising prices. The two benefits I see with shaw are the phone line is only an extra $10/month when your bundling (opposed to 20ish with Telus) and Shaw offers a Best of HD package for $35 which is cheaper than adding a bunch of mini-sd bundles just to get access to the HD channels. (Telus did offer best of hd last year but dropped it when Shaw raised their price on it).

In practice I don't think Shaw's or Telus' prices are very competitive at the moment. Shaw's not going to rake in loads of customers because they've also been raising there fees. Shaw pretty much gave up on intro deals as well (which actually sparked the upward price push), so there's no big incentive to change.

I'm lucky enough to be on a grandfathered rate plan with shaw so I pay 124.90 (before tax) for bb50/personal tv/best of hd/phone. The problem is I used too much bandwidth. My bill could go up 20 dollars a month if the bump up thing ever gets going. At which point I think I would drop the landline, get Teksavvy Unlimited Internet, and keep my TV services with Shaw.

DanteX

reply to Foggy

I received a response from Devon and it is below

Thank you for the email regarding the High Speed Bandwidth changes and price increase.

With respect to the bandwidth changes. It is only fair for customers to pay for the amount of bandwidth they use and be on a plan that realistically reflects their usage patterns; otherwise, moderate users end up subsidizing heavy users. Even with the change TELUS has some of the most generous usage caps in comparison to many other ISP’s. Most customers use only a fraction of the allotted threshold. Usage limits are put into place so that the small percentage of high usage customers to not impact the internet experience for other users on the network. We currently do not charge for over usage, but the thresholds allow us to ensure that customers are on an appropriate plan for them.

The rate increase is in response to rising costs in providing and maintaining the network. Since 2000, TELUS has invested more than $30 billion in infrastructure across Canada to provide our customers with some of the best communications technology anywhere in the world. These increases affect all clients, from TELUS employees to brand new sign-ups. All the pricing has been adjusted to the higher rate. In terms of price and quality TELUS Internet is very competitive versus our competitors. In most cases, TELUS services will still be less expensive than similar offerings from our competitors.

Most existing clients have already had the benefit of a promotion on sign-up. As with all promotions, including the current new client promotions, they run for a limited time and the discounts they offer expire. We do have loyalty programs in place for existing loyal clients and we do offer existing clients the new promotions in cases where they may not have received anything when they signed up. If you would like to provide me your home account number I would be happy to look at your account and see if there is a promotion that you are eligible for."

In response to that I responded back with another response and am waiting a response to issues such as wholesalers offering unlimited while telus will not, How Bell charges 10 extra for unlimited usage, how the Internet in Canada is seen as a backwater state and services are over priced and severely lacking, How when Shaw raises prices telus follows suit claiming they are staying competitive. As well I talked about how TV has no value when Theme packs offer no theme quality what so ever , the channels show the same content across the board and how the Internet is the prefered method for media now not tv.

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

I'm lucky enough to be on a grandfathered rate plan with shaw so I pay 124.90 (before tax) for bb50/personal tv/best of hd/phone. The problem is I used too much bandwidth. My bill could go up 20 dollars a month if the bump up thing ever gets going.

I wasn't so lucky.. I had my Shaw Internet disconnected while I was working from home one afternoon, and after doing some initial troubleshooting I got hold of Shaw to find out that they had disconnected me because I was going over my allotted bandwidth. So yeah, rather than actually give me a call on my Shaw-provided telephone service or email me on my Shaw-provided Internet connection they chose to just turn off my Internet and wait for me to contact them. I said I knew I was going over the BB50 rates, but I was waiting for the bump up to come in to take care of it for me. They said that the "automatic" bump up would happen in the future but that for now they were doing "manual" bump ups. So in order to get reconnected I had to agree to upgrade my package to BB100, which ended up costing me more than just the $10/month difference between BB50 and BB100 because of course this change made me lose my grandfathered rate.

That experience was the primary reason why I ended up back with Telus. I don't mind paying more if I use more as long as it's a fair price, but I strongly object to them using underhanded tactics.

/RantOff

CCTSrules

@terago.net
reply to zod5000

I have filed a complaint way back when the usage was going to be cut in half. It looks like the CCTS has sided with me and has ordered Telus to fix it. I would HIGHLY encourage everyone to file a complaint with the CCTS

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/

In my complaint, i said it wasn't a fair practice to offer a service for X amount of bandwidth, and i sign in for 3 years to have X bandwidth dropped in half, but still have to pay the same and be in my contract for 3 years.

DanteX

reply to Foggy

Well after speaking with Devon further here is what he had to see

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I can understand where you are coming from. There will always be value brand type resellers like Teksaavy around who offer lower prices on a service they wholesale from Bell or TELUS or Rogers. They don’t need to build or maintain any sort of network.

I like the thought of the add-on for unlimited and I’m going to take that feedback forward to our product manager for the bandwidth. It’s a bit moot at the moment as we don’t charge for the extra bandwidth right now. We just send out an email normally to let the clients know when they have exceeded their limit. I also looked at bells bandwidth caps and they are much lower than ours at all the tiers. If you don’t have TV and Phone with them, the add on is $30 a month. If they offer this add-on I’m guessing they must be charging for overages.

In terms of congestion, we don’t mean this in the sense that the entire network becomes congested. However I have seen firsthand some areas where when the ports are all in use and we have some very heavy users that node can become congested which in turn can cause everyone on that DSLAM to experience poor connections. In some sense this is a capacity issue for that area, and we recognize those issues and invest our dollars accordingly to clear up those issues. I’m sure you know that there is a fairly high cost to all of this.

That all being said, I think you raise some very valid points and sometimes the prices are going up in conjunction with Shaw. We are trying to balance between maintaining the better price than our competitor while also being able to build out a first class network which offers better services than the competitor.

I can understand your frustration with TV tiers. It’s also a bit of a pet peeve of mine. There is a lot of government regulatory framework involved in broadcasting cable in Canada, and to a degree hands can be somewhat tied on structuring themepacks and standalone channels.

On a side note, in your first email you mention Netflix content in Canada being somewhat lacking. I just wanted to say as a fellow tech minded person. Have you looked at changing your DNS on whichever device you use Netflix with? You can get a DNS that gives you the American content. No fiddling around with a new account or anything. Just use your Canadian log in and the new DNS. I do this at home and there is noticeably more to watch.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

2 edits
reply to DanteX

Yawn..... (In response to the bolded lines in quote)

So under these statements, anyone who has any product with Telus will be considered a leech if they use their rightfully 'payed for on monthly plan allotted cap' to its fullest, as allotted to them at sign up?

If you do not want customers to use their payed for service to the fullest that is allotted to them, then why did you sell it is such? (ie. 500gb's data before the 50% cut)

Was this just to round up customers into 2-3 year contracts, then in the shadows behind your customers backs, slash their existing payed for service then require them to pay more for less?

Yet you tell people that you do not charge for over usage, but your site says you charge $2 per gig over plan limit. (Well is showed at one point, they seem to have removed any reference to overage fees from their website?) Is this just to entice people to go over their limits every month, then one day as you feel like it you will start charging for the overages. Netting customers $100, $200, $500, $1000+ in overage fees and then tell the customers tough luck... It's part of the terms and services, you have no choice but to pay.

I really hope that more people on 2 or 3 year contracts file CCTS complaints against Telus (or any ISP that does the same for that matter).

Did you know that Telus reports late payments and refusal to pay for charges to the credit bureau of Canada?

said by DanteX:

I received a response from Devon and it is below

Thank you for the email regarding the High Speed Bandwidth changes and price increase.

With respect to the bandwidth changes. It is only fair for customers to pay for the amount of bandwidth they use and be on a plan that realistically reflects their usage patterns; otherwise, moderate users end up subsidizing heavy users. Even with the change TELUS has some of the most generous usage caps in comparison to many other ISP’s. Most customers use only a fraction of the allotted threshold. Usage limits are put into place so that the small percentage of high usage customers to not impact the internet experience for other users on the network. We currently do not charge for over usage, but the thresholds allow us to ensure that customers are on an appropriate plan for them.

The rate increase is in response to rising costs in providing and maintaining the network. Since 2000, TELUS has invested more than $30 billion in infrastructure across Canada to provide our customers with some of the best communications technology anywhere in the world. These increases affect all clients, from TELUS employees to brand new sign-ups. All the pricing has been adjusted to the higher rate. In terms of price and quality TELUS Internet is very competitive versus our competitors. In most cases, TELUS services will still be less expensive than similar offerings from our competitors.

Most existing clients have already had the benefit of a promotion on sign-up. As with all promotions, including the current new client promotions, they run for a limited time and the discounts they offer expire. We do have loyalty programs in place for existing loyal clients and we do offer existing clients the new promotions in cases where they may not have received anything when they signed up. If you would like to provide me your home account number I would be happy to look at your account and see if there is a promotion that you are eligible for."

In response to that I responded back with another response and am waiting a response to issues such as wholesalers offering unlimited while telus will not, How Bell charges 10 extra for unlimited usage, how the Internet in Canada is seen as a backwater state and services are over priced and severely lacking, How when Shaw raises prices telus follows suit claiming they are staying competitive. As well I talked about how TV has no value when Theme packs offer no theme quality what so ever , the channels show the same content across the board and how the Internet is the prefered method for media now not tv.

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada
reply to DanteX

Did you send that to stopthecap.com? Because there's an article on there that has the exact same response as you got.

DanteX

No I sent it directly to the emails I mentioned earlier and i got a response from Devon

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to CCTSrules

said by CCTSrules :

I have filed a complaint way back when the usage was going to be cut in half. It looks like the CCTS has sided with me and has ordered Telus to fix it. I would HIGHLY encourage everyone to file a complaint with the CCTS

»www.ccts-cprst.ca/

In my complaint, i said it wasn't a fair practice to offer a service for X amount of bandwidth, and i sign in for 3 years to have X bandwidth dropped in half, but still have to pay the same and be in my contract for 3 years.

Would you PM me with your complaint # if you're OK with it? My complaint is proceeding and I wouldn't mind citing yours in case mine doesn't go my way. I'm not overly encouraged so far to be honest.

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Exand

Not surprising, I received the same scripted BS reply from Telus when I emailed them. ( word for word)

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
reply to Foggy

I see the work of public relations officers and company lawyers; more useful information could be extracted from a potted plant. Or could it be that the upper management of Telus has been replaced by chatbots? Hello, Eliza?

Myth

join:2012-12-23
Canada
reply to Foggy

Really disappointed to be honest.

Meowwoof5898

@telus.net
reply to Foggy

Without these changes, how would Telus be able to spend money on trips to Santa Barbara and Florida in their Citation X?

»flightaware.com/live/flight/CFTE···YVR/KFPR

DanteX

Oh I dont know how about out of their own pockets instead of ours?

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC
reply to Kruisey

@kruisey, if this truly was about fairness, Telus should be offering low usage customers a break, which they are not. For example, my parents have optic phone, tv and internet. They send a few text emails every week and don't surf the internet at all. They probably use less than 1% of 1% of the usage cap. Their internet should be free. Last time I checked, it wasn't free. The ISPs did not pay for their infrastructure, WE DID! They are acting in a typical manner for companies that are not in a competitive marketplace. I used to have some sympathy for encumbents against well-capitalized foreign companies. That is no longer the case. We are getting screwed by Telus, Bell, Rogers, and Shaw. It's time to open the floodgates and let in some competition.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

I am an elderly person who is a retiree with Telus .I also find that the pricing now with my pensions,retired in 2001 and my Company discount are getting beyond my pocket.
Will have to cut back in some of my services.
I have written to Mr Entwistle with my concerns on behalf of students and seniors and most folks that are on budgets.
Mentioned by cutting down on internet usage amounts will not get more custom to Optik TV because folks cannot afford the prices.
I can understand all those on low incomes using Netflix via internet.
There again on the good side Telus has always given me good service (If I can reach them).Have no argument with my picture quality.
Am and always will be a loyal customer of Telus.
Just feel badly about the way things have turned out regarding pricing

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

1 edit

@kruisey, I used to work in the telus group so I was somewhat partial to telus. I have been their customer for a long time, first phone, then internet and now also tv. When Telus came out with optik, I gave shaw a chance to take all of my business and they clearly didn't want it, so I dumped them and moved everything to telus. When I first signed up for optik, I got an up-front discount, as well as some "loyalty" discounts. The up-front discounts went away a long time ago and Telus is clawing away the loyalty discounts, at the same time as they are increasing prices and reducing services. When I brought this up to Telus, they told me to pound sand. If I don't like it, don't let the door hit me on the way out. Telus clearly has changed over the past year. They aren't loyal to you, why should you be loyal to them? They are now no different than bell, rogers or shaw in this regard. Why should they be, there isn't enough competition. I once was opposed to foreign companies being let in. No more. I no longer give a sh*t what happens to telus.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
reply to Kruisey

said by Kruisey:

I am an elderly person who is a retiree with Telus ... Have no argument with my picture quality.

I'm not trying to be rude here so don't take this the wrong way. If that's true then maybe you shouldn't be so adamant about Optik's picture quality all the time.

You eyesight might not be what it used to be, plus as you get older your ability to process information decreases. At 30 fps you just may not be able to distinguish the macro-blocking and softness.

Optik looks terrible compared to American HD cable.

That also explains not caring about the reduced caps. There are many new ways of using the internet for us young whippersnappers.

Off-site backups of important information. Sharing HD video of your children with your family who live elsewhere. And many, many more. Its pretty easy to burn through 250 GB these days.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

They probably have alot more competition in USA that makes a big difference in the markets for customers.
Solution Get a green card and move over the border

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

More like too many apathetic customers here. It is the same situation in the States, a bunch of monopolies and duopolies and yet they still hire competent staff to setup their encoding hardware.

Even if it were true, that wouldn't excuse them for charging more money for an inferior product. And then making it worse and charging even more.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

There is no competition now so they can.