Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

Try this link

»www.telus.com/content/internet/

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to South_of_22
It's okay! They are just competing. Now their prices are identical to Shaw's.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
When one raises prices to match the prices of their so called competitor that is not competition that is collusion and in no way benefits the consumer.

But hey who am I to talk I am just a 10 percenter right?

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada
reply to Foggy
said by ruiner:

That's for the plan with the 75 GB cap. Unlimited is unlimited.

I called in again and got that clarified. GG clueless customer reps and broken website :|

said by Upupupup :

It's an $8 increase across the biard except on Internet 50 went up by $5

Wasn't Optik High Speed Turbo $47 with the $5 bundle discount? And the $60 price on the site is with the $5 bundle discount as well so it's a $13 increase isn't it...?

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
Canada
Reviews:
·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine
That's exactly right comparing apples to apples. A $13 increase on internet alone, plus whatever the increase is on the TV. Looks to be $16 total (Im on essentials) , PLUS the previous price increase in less than a year of $3 on the essentials. For an overall total of $19.

This is absolutely unbelieveable.

And I'm on contract too.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to DanteX
said by DanteX:

When one raises prices to match the prices of their so called competitor that is not competition that is collusion and in no way benefits the consumer.

But hey who am I to talk I am just a 10 percenter right?

Collusion is when both parties meet together and preplan the same prices as a strategy.

So it isn't collusion. It's the effect of an oligopoly/duopoly (not a monopoly, but not many players either). If one side lowers prices, the others will do so rather quickly to remain competitive. If one side raises prices, the other will at a slower pace (kind of a wait and see approach).

I agree that limited competition doesn't benefit the consumer, but I felt the need to correct the assumption that it was collusion when it isn't

ExTel

@sunwave.com.br
reply to Exand
Prices before and data caps before.

Exand

Canada
said by zod5000:

Collusion is when both parties meet together and preplan the same prices as a strategy.

Well, it could be collusion as we don't know whether or not if they've been meeting behind locked doors to map out this strategy

said by ExTel :

Prices before and data caps before.

Thanks for the screenies.

I forgot about the non-Optik plans. So if you were on Optik 25 (Optik High Speed Turbo) it is a $13 increase just for internet. Throw in the $3 bump back in June and it's $16 in 7 months... Wow :x

DanteX

reply to Foggy
I am not very good at communicating but could someone raise a stink about this to Openmedia ?

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
It doesn't matter if you are a good communicator or not. The more feedback they hear, the better.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to Foggy
Well, I just cancelled my internet service with Telus. I really wanted to give them a piece of my mind, but the CSR was very friendly and sympathetic so I couldn't be upset with him.

I took the time and explicitly told him why I am cancelling and to please pass on the info, of which he said the marketing people will be seeing his report on our call.

I told him I've been with Telus since, well, forever, when they took over the AGT infrastructure anyhow. The whole way they went about cutting the caps and raising the price is insulting to me even though I never get anywhere close to their caps. The whole way they went about doing it showed contempt and the only way to show my distaste was to vote with my wallet.

He tried his best to keep me by throwing discounts and such to me, but admitted he was powerless on the cap side of things.

DanteX

reply to Foggy
I believe both Telus and Shawn Hall both stated Telus has no plans to start charging overages anytime soon, so we will have to wait and see if that happens because if it does that means they lied to us and we will use that against them.

tired

join:2010-12-12
reply to slidebite
What sort of notice do you need to provide in order to cancel -- and also give you enough time to arrange the Teksavvy install? Was it next billing period, 30 days, etc?

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to DanteX
said by DanteX:

I believe both Telus and Shawn Hall both stated Telus has no plans to start charging overages anytime soon, so we will have to wait and see if that happens because if it does that means they lied to us and we will use that against them.

Fall, like I said .. That isn't "any time soon" -- That was 2 years ago.
--

DanteX

Could have sworn something was said recently

DanteX

reply to Foggy
found the source of where he said Telus would not be charging overages

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/05 ··· 422.html

"Hall said that, unlike some other internet providers, Telus doesn’t actually charge customers overage fees for exceeding their caps. Users who exceed their caps are encouraged to switch to a higher service plan."

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by DanteX:

found the source of where he said Telus would not be charging overages

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/05 ··· 422.html

"Hall said that, unlike some other internet providers, Telus doesn’t actually charge customers overage fees for exceeding their caps. Users who exceed their caps are encouraged to switch to a higher service plan."

Nothing in there says that TELUS is not going to start charging overages in the future.
--

DanteX

Ok maybe they will maybe they wont but what about a bump up program like shaw?

I am optik 25 and if I go over i would be bumped up to 50 but what if I go over the Cap while on Optik 50?

Also what If i am on Optik 25 and go over my cap but cant be bumped up to 50 because 50 is not available to me in my area?

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by DanteX:

Ok maybe they will maybe they wont but what about a bump up program like shaw?

I am optik 25 and if I go over i would be bumped up to 50 but what if I go over the Cap while on Optik 50?

Also what If i am on Optik 25 and go over my cap but cant be bumped up to 50 because 50 is not available to me in my area?

I already posted in another thread what is going to happen :|
--

DanteX

1 edit
NVM saw your comment about the overages.

How about a model like this

The more you use your internet connection the cheaper your bill will be and the less you use it the more you have to pay

Exand

Canada
said by DanteX:

what thread?

Probably this one:
»[BC] 80% of my current usage for an extra $13/month?

DanteX

reply to Foggy
Remember when Telus bumped up the caps a few years back?

»Telus Bumps Usage Caps In Response to Shaw

•The cap for Optik High Speed Turbo / High Speed Turbo 25, is increasing from 250GB to 500GB
•The cap for Optik High Speed / High Speed Turbo is increasing from 125GB to 250GB
•The cap for the standard "High Speed" tier is increasing from 75GB to 150GB
•The cap for "High Speed Lite" is increasing from 13GB now 30GB

Now they are rolling it back

And Pfak $15/100 or 75/1tb for overages thats still too steep considering the price per gb is what 0.0001 and falling?

Exand

Canada
said by DanteX:

Remember when Telus bumped up the caps a few years back?

One step forward, two steps back.

DanteX

I have been thinking , to sign up for services with most ISPS these days you need to do a credit check which pretty much lets the ISP look into your personal and financial life. Well how about this if the ISP wants to sell a service to the public we should be able to know what the true costs of the services are and know exactly how what and why we are paying for.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to tired
Teksavvy said they needed min of 5 days or something like that, so I just asked Telus to make my cancelation date effective that date, so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

Regarding the talk about Telus not enforcing the caps, even if that's true (as it probably is.. for now at least), they whole way they did it stinks.
Expand your moderator at work

TedBear

@telus.com
reply to Exand

Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

What's sad is that Telus could care less about us complaining and venting on a forum.

They know they the have us by the short and curlys. and that we have no choice but to cough up x-amount pet month if we want service.

They know that today's North American society is dependant on internet services, so the ISP's take advantage of that and force the routine price increases down our throats.

Maximize your profits regardless off all the negative flack you receive.

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by TedBear :

What's sad is that Telus could care less about us complaining and venting on a forum.

They know they the have us by the short and curlys. and that we have no choice but to cough up x-amount pet month if we want service.

That's where they're wrong. See »openmedia.ca/switch

You have options.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Foggy
Maybe Telus should remove the useless promotions and actually work on improving their services for their existing customers.
Seriously, they are giving away an $850 HDTV for every new contract signed.

Use the 850 bucks to actually DECREASE rates and INCREASE the amount of usage per month.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

1 edit
While I do agree with you, I SERIOUSLY doubt that TV is costing them more than $250 - $300. You need to tone back the drama a bit if you want to be taken seriously. There is no way it retails for anywhere near $850.

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sam ··· 8868en02

Cutting the cap in half saves them a few dollars a month at most per customer that actually uses their connection. It has nothing to do with costs and everything to do with profits (TV, on demand and overage charges). Thing is, some of the customers this affects may end up switching away from them.