uniqs

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

[Voip.ms] limit voicemail duration

Is there a way to limit the duration of incoming messages on voicemail? I hate listening to long messages and would like to set it at say 1 minute (then the caller would get cut off!).
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Yep. I see the value of the option. It'd be nice to set that timeout for my callers too

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

So it seems that the limit is 3 minutes now. Seriously, I don't want to listen to a 3 minute long message!!
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

Is there a way to limit the duration of incoming messages on voicemail? I hate listening to long messages and would like to set it at say 1 minute (then the caller would get cut off!).

So record an OGM that tells the caller to record a BRIEF message. Or press 7 when you've heard enough.

Most messages left for me have any contact information provided at the very end. Go ahead and cut 'em off . . . They'll just leave a 2nd message with the rest of the info. Is that really preferable?

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by DoctorStinky:

said by crazyk4952:

So record an OGM that tells the caller to record a BRIEF message. Or press 7 when you've heard enough.

Most messages left for me have any contact information provided at the very end. Go ahead and cut 'em off . . . They'll just leave a 2nd message with the rest of the info. Is that really preferable?

Well one can only hope that if someone is cut off when leaving a message, they might get the hint that they are being a little long-winded...
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to crazyk4952

Premium Member

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

So it seems that the limit is 3 minutes now. Seriously, I don't want to listen to a 3 minute long message!!

You don't have to listen to it, just press the Delete key before the ending. It's a better solution than hanging up a call while someone is leaving their personal biography on your mailbox.

I don't see the difference between you pressing Next or Delete compared to listening to a recording that cutoff suddenly. It's not like the caller is aware of his time limit.

We're giving the mailbox owner a choice, instead of the other way around.
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

Well one can only hope that if someone is cut off when leaving a message, they might get the hint that they are being a little long-winded...

Seriously?
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry to crazyk4952

Premium Member

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

Its pretty hard to try to police voice mail etiquette. Good voice mail etiquette is really the responsibility of the caller. Sadly, we seem to live in an era of bad etiquette all around.

Good voice mail etiquette dictates that one leaves their name and contact info at the beginning of a voice mail message. Then BRIEFLY add only what you feel is REALLY important - then finish by repeating name and contact info. This format gives the listener a chance to make decision whether to listen to the whole thing - plus enables a quick repeat of contact info if necessary.

Good sales people know that if you are leaving a voice message and you want to increase the chances of a call back, practice good phone etiquette. Everyone should learn from this.

Of course, according to sales trainer Jeffrey Gitomer, one of the best ways to get a call back is generate curiosity by intentionally cutting the call in the middle of leaving the voice mail message: "Hi this is Joe at 555-555-5555. I have something really important to te...[click]...". Short, to the point and gets the curiosity boiling every time.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer to MartinM

to MartinM
said by MartinM:

said by crazyk4952:

You don't have to listen to it, just press the Delete key before the ending. It's a better solution than hanging up a call while someone is leaving their personal biography on your mailbox.

I don't see the difference between you pressing Next or Delete compared to listening to a recording that cutoff suddenly. It's not like the caller is aware of his time limit.

We're giving the mailbox owner a choice, instead of the other way around.

One thing I miss from my Primus TBB voicemail since I switched to voip.ms is that I was able to skip the "enveloppe" message (date/time with phone number) at the beginning of the message by pressing the # key. If I press # key with voip.ms vm, I'm logged out from the vm system.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

Yep. I see the value of the option. It'd be nice to set that timeout for my callers too

The greatest value of that option might be that when it's set to zero, you have an "announce only" service.

On the other hand, when I get the longwinded ones, I rarely listen to the whole thing on the phone. I'll listen to the audio file attached to the e-mail so I can skip through the mumbo-jumbo and listen to important parts easily.

On the other other hand, one set of rules won't work for everyone. Some people like detailed messages and call back with equally detailed responses. Some ignore all messages and just write down the name and phone# to call back. I hate leaving a message and then calling people back and having them say, "So what did you need?" and then I tell them, again, and they say, "OK, wait while I research that" or even worse, "I'll check it out and get back to you." I'd love to send them an e-mail but doctors & lawyers and a lot of billing offices don't do e-mail or text messages.

Best advice is to state your preferences. "You've reached 909-555-5555. Please leave ONLY your name and phone number and I will return your call." "You've reached 909-555-5555. Please leave your name and number FIRST and any DETAILS after that. Remember, name and number FIRST."

If you really want some fun, sign up for Google Voice and check out the transcription, thinking you'll avoid listening to messages. Lots of good stuff that you could never make up. Half the time I get the gist, but the other half I have to listen to see just how far off the transcription was.