how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

workman845

join:2011-09-22
reply to TSI Outages

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] Feb 1st, 2013 3:20PM

Does it really take over 4 hours to replace a router?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Well they're not basic off the shelf routers you can pick up at your local Canada Computers.

Not sure what make and models TekSavvy is using at their POIs, but I used Cisco's ISR 2800s while studying at Fanshawe, they're pretty complex. And it depends on what TekSavvy's procedure is for replacing a down router is. There's many different ways of dealing with it. At the very least a fresh router will need be re-flashed with a backup configuration of the downed router. And double checked it wont ruin things if connected to the network. You don't just plug in a new router, flash it and hope for the best.

Rogers had downtime for a few days a week or two back, even they sometimes incur some pretty bad setbacks.

wtbinternets

@teksavvy.com

said by TypeS:

Rogers had downtime for a few days a week or two back, even they sometimes incur some pretty bad setbacks.

I'd like to know if this is a few hour setback or a few day setback not just "ASAP." If I had known this was a 4+ hour setback 4 hours ago I would have scheduled accordingly and probably taken a nap.

workman845

join:2011-09-22
reply to TypeS

Obviously their not home routers. But I'm hoping they're not just putting in an order to Cisco now. You would think they'd have replacements setup in place at least close to as convenient as driving up to Canada Computers.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

It'd be ideal to have replacements at every location there is any networking equipment but ideal is not always attainable when balancing revenue and cost.

TSI Martin's latest post seems to imply Rogers has role to play in getting the downed router back up or replaced. Probably the equipment is housed in property owned by Rogers, meaning its Rogers rules as to how & when.

Not to mention, the weather is atrocious today if anything needs to be delivered any significant distance.

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
reply to workman845

Over 5 hrs now. Still no update other then "Rogers hasn't updated us"

jacob1994

join:2013-02-01
London, ON

i can't even access GMail........pissed

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to londoner1

said by londoner1:

Over 5 hrs now. Still no update other then "Rogers hasn't updated us"

That would be correct.

Sourkeys

@teksavvy.com

Still working for me (In London) South Highbury Area.

Some websites are slow others are normal.

Netflix has been streaming all night no problem.

anonrob

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Martin

London - Bonaventure and Admiral

Was wondering why some websites just wouldn't load... glad bbr still worked.

Thanks for the hard work, I hope it gets fixed soon!

Rob

jacob1994

join:2013-02-01
London, ON
reply to Sourkeys

Cable?

Wtbinternets

@teksavvy.com
reply to workman845

said by workman845:

Does it really take over 4 hours to replace a router?

Apparently it takes 16+ hours.. Wow

noemails

@bell.ca

this outage is not anyway to do business....my advice..go with the data centre business. a ton of less employees the softeare watches things and you just have to look at the writing on the wall....

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Because TekSavvy is the only ISP to ever suffer an outage right? Please.

Not really sure what you're trying to suggest when mentioning a data center, are you insinuating Rogers build a data center at every single POI where the feed in the fibre and coax into nodes? That's like asking Bell to build a data centre where ever there's DSLAM.