1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to rawgerz

Premium Member

to rawgerz

Re: Oil furnace ?

Can I ask this.. why don't people stock up during the summer months or off-season?? I ask because I know a person that had a large area that had I think 1,000 tank or so and they could only afford to maybe put like $600 in and it would only last maybe 2 weeks at the most.. All that time I would assume summer months would be cheaper? they could get the tank most to full and not have to worry about the renters complaining about not having any heat.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Can I ask this.. why don't people stock up during the summer months or off-season??

I would if I could. Unfortunately, I only have a 550 gallon tank. And actually, this past summer the prices were even higher than they are right now.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by rockotman:

said by Subaru:

Can I ask this.. why don't people stock up during the summer months or off-season??

I would if I could. Unfortunately, I only have a 550 gallon tank. And actually, this past summer the prices were even higher than they are right now.

Hmm I would of thought it would go down since hardly any demand to buy any oil.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by rockotman:

said by Subaru:

But the refineries switch over to making more gasoline so the supply is scarce, as well. Net result is that the price stays high.

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

1 recommendation

rockotman to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

said by rockotman:

said by Subaru:

The only difference between #2 fuel oil and over-the-road diesel is the dye added to signify that the fuel oil is not subject to road-taxes. As a result, the demand does not go down by much, as a percentage of the overall demand for diesel. But as pointed out above, the demand for gasoline does go up in the warmer months, so the refineries change the quantities of each such that the price really remains relatively stable, and is proportional to the overall price of crude (subject to the typical market lags as varying price point works its way through the supply chain). Generally the price of fuel oil (at least here in PA) is about 25-30 cents higher than the prevailing price for gasoline. Again, it pays to shop around.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by rockotman:

The only difference between #2 fuel oil and over-the-road diesel is the dye added to signify that the fuel oil is not subject to road-taxes. As a result, the demand does not go down by much, as a percentage of the overall demand for diesel. But as pointed out above, the demand for gasoline does go up in the warmer months, so the refineries change the quantities of each such that the price really remains relatively stable, and is proportional to the overall price of crude (subject to the typical market lags as varying price point works its way through the supply chain). Generally the price of fuel oil (at least here in PA) is about 25-30 cents higher than the prevailing price for gasoline. Again, it pays to shop around.

did not know about that between diesel and fuel oil.. I knew about the dye however

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

did not know about that between diesel and fuel oil.. I knew about the dye however

You can burn either or in your furnace or diesel vehicle. Works well if you get in a pinch and run out of oil. You can run down to the gas station and fill a few containers with diesel and throw it in your oil tank.

Don't get caught using dyed heating oil / off road diesel in your truck though. There is no road taxes paid on it so if they dip your tank you end up with a fine. State Police do it here but I have never seen a local / county police officer do it.

Lots of farmers will try and get away with it though.

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

I think it is legal to use it in diesel equipment that does not use public roads; i.e. tractors or combines.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by Subaru:

You can burn either or in your furnace or diesel vehicle. Works well if you get in a pinch and run out of oil. You can run down to the gas station and fill a few containers with diesel and throw it in your oil tank.

Don't get caught using dyed heating oil / off road diesel in your truck though. There is no road taxes paid on it so if they dip your tank you end up with a fine. State Police do it here but I have never seen a local / county police officer do it.

A station I go to has un-dyed kero which last time I looked was around $4.29/gal I have a small heater that is tri-fuel (JP1, diesel, kerosene)

One question I have to ask.. I forgot what the PPM content was for the kero, I think the pump says it could exceed 500 PPM but I wonder what it would be for diesel? since I think diesel may be a little cheaper?

The good thing about the kerosene price is it does not go up and down much since it's use is very small.. I don't know how large the tank is but I remember the price was the same for at least 3-4 weeks once.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman
said by rockotman:

I think it is legal to use it in diesel equipment that does not use public roads; i.e. tractors or combines.

Use heating oil? I suppose. I have to imagine that off-road diesel may be similarly priced as well or could be once you get a fuel contract set up.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to Subaru

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

A station I go to has un-dyed kero which last time I looked was around $4.29/gal I have a small heater that is tri-fuel (JP1, diesel, kerosene)

One question I have to ask.. I forgot what the PPM content was for the kero, I think the pump says it could exceed 500 PPM but I wonder what it would be for diesel? since I think diesel may be a little cheaper?

The good thing about the kerosene price is it does not go up and down much since it's use is very small.. I don't know how large the tank is but I remember the price was the same for at least 3-4 weeks once.

Depends on a crazy mix of

Category 1, is it heating oil, off road diesel for motor vehicles, diesel for marine, diesel for locomotive, diesel for plane, diesel for public road

Category 2 which state and county you are in

Category 3 3000, 500, 40 or 15 are the PPM sulferchoices

Its a matrix only a lawyer can understand.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Well in this case diesel for a road vehicle.. aren't most all stations low sulfur now? I forgot what are the limits now?

I want to say 15, I never had issues with the pump that says it could exceed 500 ppm.

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

1 recommendation

rockotman

Premium Member

All on and off road diesel is now ULSD by EPA mandate. ULSD by US standards is 15 ppm or less.

Even locomotive diesel is now ULSD. About the only non-ULSD is some marine diesel. And that is being forced to go ULSD some time in the next few years.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Thanks did not know about offroad diesel

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by Subaru:

Mainly I only encounter commercial trucks getting dipped(now more than ever because of the high price). But I think your fine is set per gallon they pull out if you are running illegal. Been out of the diesel game for a bit and not current anymore.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to rockotman

to rockotman
said by rockotman:

All on and off road diesel is now ULSD by EPA mandate. ULSD by US standards is 15 ppm or less.

Even locomotive diesel is now ULSD. About the only non-ULSD is some marine diesel. And that is being forced to go ULSD some time in the next few years.

Not true. »epa.gov/oms/standards/fu ··· lfur.htm

rockotman
Premium Member
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

I stand corrected on the locomotive and marine. Still, the only existing exemption this year for non-road are for small refineries. And next year, locomotive and marine will also be subject to the tighter limits, except for Alaska and Northeast.

Anything that a homeowner in Connecticut can buy is going to be ULSD, unless he gets a large delivery of farm diesel from a small refinery. I don't think Mr. Subaru is out buying large quantities of farm diesel.
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to Subaru

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I think the main reason is space. My 275 gallon tank takes up a sizable area. Adding another tank would take up too much space. Also, depending on the state, you may not be able to have a large quantity without special permits and licenses. In MA we are limited to 660 gallons without a special permit. With a tank(s) to hold 660 gallons, I would have no place for all my junk...

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I think Subaru was thinking along the lines of people topping up their current tanks in the summer when he thought fuel oil should be cheaper.