spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thephantom

join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA

[Help] How long before a battery goes bad?

(note: I am not asking how long a battery charge should last, but how long the battery itself should remain useful)
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII phone that is just over 1 year old. Up until very recently, I would recharge about once a day. Either via USB while online, or with the wall charger. It would be 100% when I went to bed and useful throughout the next day.

But in the last few days, the battery goes from 100% down to anywhere from 40-60% overnight. I leave it on, but I have only the synch with email going on. No wireless. No GPS location. No NFC. Just the basic phone. So I'm thinking the battery has gone beyond its useful life. Does that sound likely for a 1 year old battery?

And are there better battery replacements? Where do you buy your cell phone batteries?

TIA,
s.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

The OEM batteries are generally going to be pretty good. They really don't want lots of complaints about battery life, especially in the first year or so.

The behavior you're seeing is a sign that your battery is dying. Is that normal for 1-years old ? No one can really say...

Look for (true) OEM batteries, SEIDIO, and certainly others (that others may comment on).

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to thephantom

If you noticed that a couple of days ago, it could be some bad app, that suddenly starts to consume a lot of power. I've seen it time to time on my phone too. It's difficult to find the bugger though...

I'd recommend to watch your battery with this free program - Battery Monitor Widget. It will show you battery stats, current, voltage, % of availability every 10 min.

My battery is more then 2 years old and still working just fine, BTW.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Look for (true) OEM batteries, SEIDIO, and certainly others (that others may comment on).

Then again I have had pretty good luck with both camera and phone 3rd party batteries, and often of higher capacity than the OEM ones and a fraction of the cost.
--

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to thephantom

I have three OEM batteries and two battery chargers. I do live in hurricane country, so thought it was a good thing to too.

When one of my batteries starts acting "strange," I put a new one in and charge the one that I just took out.
--
Team Discovery

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

If you noticed that a couple of days ago, it could be some bad app, that suddenly starts to consume a lot of power. I've seen it time to time on my phone too. It's difficult to find the bugger though...

I'd recommend to watch your battery with this free program - Battery Monitor Widget. It will show you battery stats, current, voltage, % of availability every 10 min.

My battery is more then 2 years old and still working just fine, BTW.

This
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
reply to thephantom

I would definitely be looking at one of your apps as the culprit. There are plenty of tools to monitor all kinds of things on your Android phone. It's actually not that difficult to find out what is eating your battery.

My first step is always to check if it's going into deep sleep when it's not being used. This can be done by all sorts of apps, I personally use CPU Spy.

If it's determined that it is not going into deep sleep, you start looking for wake locks. Better Battery Stats and similar applications will tell you what is causing the wake locks. Go from there.

If it truly is your battery going bad, you should be experiencing other anomalies such as random shut offs, not holding charge and or calibration issues. Before you get into any of the above research, I'd recommend doing a calibration. This can be done by allowing your phone to fully discharge (let it die), plug in the charger and leave the phone off. Allow it to charge to 100% while it's off, then unplug it and turn it on. The battery will recalibrate itself. This isn't something you should do every night, or even that often. Just when you feel the battery might be need to be calibrated. Then go off and start checking for deep sleep, apps acting wonky etc.
--
Weeeeeee

Lone Wolf
Ready For Retirement
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to thephantom

said by thephantom:

So I'm thinking the battery has gone beyond its useful life. Does that sound likely for a 1 year old battery?

TIA,
s.

It doesn't sound likely. Maybe your phone is just reporting wrong numbers.

I suggest that you wipe your battery stats. You may have to root to do this but it clears a lot of problems.

Google "wipe battery stats android".

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

said by Lone Wolf:

I suggest that you wipe your battery stats. You may have to root to do this but it clears a lot of problems.

Google "wipe battery stats android".

Wiping battery stats does nothing and has been confirmed by Google/Android engineers.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to thephantom

This could go either way. Yes, you may have a battery that is going bad after 1 year...that is all it is warrantied for after all...equally it could be a misbehaving app or process.

You should have no problem through android viewing which apps or processes are consuming the most battery power.

Before replacing the battery, I would first explore the possibility of an app running in the background sucking up power, but if nothing shows, you may need a new battery.
--
Deeds, not words

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to thephantom

Yet another vote for an app. You may want to turn off background data as well for a test. Some apps get very 'chatty'.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 edits
reply to thephantom

As suggested by nekkidtruth See Profile, try Better Battery Stats to help identify what apps/services are (likely) causing your battery drain.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

said by Mister_E:

As suggested by nekkidtruth See Profile, try Better Battery Stats to help identify what apps/services are (likely) causing your battery drain.

Listen to this advice, disregard the rest. Android really has no clue which apps are really using the battery. It collects lots of good stats, but those % are very inaccurate. BBS lets you look at lots of raw data to make sense of it. Example: Kik messenger is a battery hog that shows as less than 1% in other battery apps and Android. Then the alarms screen in BBS lets you see how often it really wakes the phone. Uninstalling that and 4 other apps that ranked as low usage in Android(but constantly set alarms to an excess) tripled my battery life within 1 hour of using better battery stats for me. It reads raw stats from Android and runs no service to waste battery. It's a real winner. If your battery is losing some capacity, I recommend battery doctor. Using no features but the alarms and trickle charge, my battery of over 1 year old feels like new. You just have to follow when it says to unplug and not bitch about the alarm and not unplug it, then bitch about it not working(I swear some reviewers on Google Play are brain dead!! Way to go missing the entire point of what the app does ). Hope this helps.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.