how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JosephB

join:2012-10-19
Manhasset, NY

1 edit

[OOL] Upgraded to Boost Plus, only getting 25Mbps Down - Why ?

I just "upgraded" from the Optimum - 15/2 service to "Boost Plus - 50 Mbps/8 Mbps:

But, for "Boost Plus", only getting 23 - 25 Mbps for Downloads, but Uploads are in range at 7.6 to 8 Mbps.
(NOTE: This was tested with "speedtest.net").

1. What speed do others on Long Island (NY) get ?

2. What could be the problem for "slow" Downloads ?
.... Anyone experience this and had problem solved ?
... If yes, What was the cause of slowness/what was fixed by cablevision to solve it ?

P.S. Does *not* matter the time of day, still not faster than 25Mbps, so far.
.... Also, tested *without* the router and connecting pc directly to the Arris Modem and still get 23 - 25 Mbps Down.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Re: [OOL] Upgraded to Boost Plus, only getting 25Mbps Down - Why

Did you reboot the modem when you disconnected the router and plugged right into the modem? Have you tweaked any settings on your network card? There is no reason why you shouldn't get the full speed. Try troubleshooting with support if you don't get anywhere on your own.

JosephB

Manhasset, NY

1. Yes, I rebooted the modem (its an Arris DOCSIS 3 Modem).
2. No, I have *not* tweaked any settings on the network card (Intel Pro 100) - Was I suppose to tweak them ?
3. Spoke to support and they will send out a Tech, but what things could be wrong for him to fix ?

P.S. BTW - When I had the 15/2 service, speedtest.net showed I was getting the proper range for that service.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Why not try several large downloads at the same time and see what speed you get, just to make sure it is not a speed test anomaly.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

JosephB

Manhasset, NY

TheWiseGuy,
Do you mean while downloads are in progress, open another browser tab to run speedtest.net ?

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to JosephB

I'm guessing you don't have a D3 modem? Prolly some old motorola that you've had for years??

I was gonna say router but since you mentioned direct connection it's definitely because you have a old modem.

JosephB

Manhasset, NY

ShoTTa35,

I actually have a "New" - Arris Modem, is a D3 (aka "DOCSIS 3") installed around Oct. 2012, when I first added optimum broadband access with the 15/2 service. Which worked nicely.
.... Now, I just upgraded 2 days ago to Boost Plus.

JosephB

Manhasset, NY

2 edits
reply to JosephB

I just found the problem !!!
... If I "Disable" my AntiVirus Pgm's - "Web Guard" (aka Browser Guard) and then run "Speedtest.net", .. I now get 45 - 48 Mbps !!!

... Anybody else here using "Avira" - AntiVirus Pgm - with WebGuard Enabled ?
.... Does the Web/Browser protection module of your AntiVirus Pgm also reduce the speed of your connection, when using Speedtest.net ???

*** UPDATED 2/2/13, on Avira's web site, as follows:

>>>> " How does Web Protection impact my Internet download speed?

The Avira Web Protection works like an HTTP proxy and needs a cache to verify received data sequences.
After scanning, the cached data is forwarded with maximum speed to the Internet browser.
The Avira Web Protection works very fast, the search process delays the download very small.
In purpose of caching data the Web Protection works up to 50% progress with about half speed. Thereafter, he proceeds at full speed.
Therefore, the estimated download time remains in most cases the same.
However, the short-delay delivery at the beginning arises a subjective impression that the speed is slower.
Out of the same mentioned reasons, speed measurements of test programs or websites provide inaccurate results.
Affected products
Avira Professional Security, Version 2013 [Windows]
Avira Antivirus Premium 2013 [Windows]
Avira Internet Security 2013 [Windows]
..... "

anonn

@optonline.net
reply to JosephB

I live on Long Island and recently upgraded to boost plus as well, but I'm only getting download speeds of 20 Mbps, virtually no different than before. I'm not using Avira though. My modem is a Cisco DOCSIS 3 modem with model# DPQ3212.

JosephB

Manhasset, NY

anonn,

Have you tried 'Disabling the "Real-time protection" (or at least its "Web/Browser Guard") of your AntiVirus pgm, before running "Speedtest.net" ? . ... Which AV pgm do you use ?

anonn

@optonline.net

said by JosephB:

anonn,

Have you tried 'Disabling the "Real-time protection" (or at least its "Web/Browser Guard") of your AntiVirus pgm, before running "Speedtest.net" ? . ... Which AV pgm do you use ?

I use Microsoft security essentials. Tried turning it off, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

YankeeFan

join:2009-01-13
reply to JosephB

I've got Boost Plus and I'm in Bayonne NJ and have noticed a significant drop off in speeds. The first week after installation, everything was great, getting speeds of 45 to 50 consistently. Now I'm lucky if I get 30. I've tried calling Optimum tech support but the idiots they have working there are useless.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to TheWiseGuy

said by TheWiseGuy:

Why not try several large downloads at the same time and see what speed you get, just to make sure it is not a speed test anomaly.

btw, in case you are not aware, speedtest.net under the hood actually downloads 6 files at the same time(and if i remember correctly, from different servers).
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1

Does it download 6 actual files to your computer? Do any of the speed tests do this?

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

Click for full size
said by Rojo:

Does it download 6 actual files to your computer? Do any of the speed tests do this?

speedtest.net applet does that.
I was wrong about "6", it looks like it's 4 at a time.
You can see latency.txt applet measures latency..duh
random*.jpg applet measures download speed. You can see 1st it tried smaller fake images and then larger ones. And upload.php measures upload speed with 2 requests at a time.
--

Rojo

New York, NY

just now
So the website test itself does not load files to your HD?
I'd hate to think there's GBs of useless junk accumulating somewhere from all these tests, having done hundreds of 'em.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

said by Rojo:

So the website test itself does not load files to your HD?

Sure it does.

said by Rojo:

I'd hate to think there's GBs of useless junk accumulating somewhere from all these tests, having done hundreds of 'em.

It goes into your usual browser cache dir, which automatically gets cleaned by your browser as needed.
--

JosephB

Manhasset, NY
reply to JosephB

I am now finding that during most hours of the day and prime night hours, I am now getting 35-36 Mbps, (but after 11PM at night I could get 45-48 Mbps).
... Does anyone know what is cablevision's - Minimum "commit to" speed for the Boost Plus - 50/8 Mbps service ?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

There is no contract requirements. If you are unhappy they will certainly investigate an issue.

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
reply to JosephB

My service is intermittent. Late at night and off peak, it's fast. During business hours, however, forget about it. My Xbox Live service can't connect because I get no upload.

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
reply to JosephB

Found out that my router was hampering my speeds. Hooked up PC directly to cable modem and the speeds are incredible. Near 60mpbs down and 8mpbs up.

Rojo

New York, NY

said by sandman9r:

Found out that my router was hampering my speeds.

Same old story

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to JosephB

said by JosephB:

... Does anyone know what is cablevision's - Minimum "commit to" speed for the Boost Plus - 50/8 Mbps service ?

Optimum Online(even biz) is a "best effort" service. You get what you get. You can complain to them and if they'll feel like it, they might look into fixing your problems.
If you want guaranteed speeds, you'll have to sign up for their Lightpath service..if it's available in your area.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to JosephB

(topic move) No change Boost- Boost Plus?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »No change Boost- Boost Plus?

yonkers10701

join:2001-09-06
Yonkers, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MxxCon

Re: [OOL] Upgraded to Boost Plus, only getting 25Mbps Down - Why

i have boost plus , had same problem, uploads 7 and 8 ,DL at 23 and under, many times 15, Cablevision told me they only had to deliver like 25 DL per their specs, i forget the number it was not acceptable. They run these commercials on how their speeds are higher than advertised, meanwhile , many times they are 50 to 70% less .
I would consider anything under 80% a trouble, if it was never at the 50 range , i would consider that i trouble.
I am retired telco, I know line quality and standards, as i worked troubleshooting inside and outside . If they wouldn't fix it i would push the issue with every elected official and the PSC i think for cable, it was PSC fpr Land line telco. FCC for cells , but am not sure if local is FCC. At worse i would make good test reports , print them up . document all the calls and every x months file a small claims case , bring in their add about the higher then documented speeds, nad request , a refund on x months for the cable service. It would be fun. if you had the time, i would do it. but i may switch to FIOS this mount as my one year discount expires, the only thing keeping me wanting cable is the wifi in the metrony area.
The only way people will get good service is by not accepting the answers they give you and fight it with the officials.
The PSC was real powerful , before verizon bought them out, like the carriers bought out the FCC. This generation doesnt understand that it ised to be the elected officials made sure you were not getting ripped off, now ?????

noticewhat

@optonline.net
reply to JosephB

For the people that complain about only getting 30 or 35, other than going to a speed test website what do you actually notice?

I get 52 without my router and 23 with my router. I do not notice any kind of difference in using the internet even with the router connected at 23m instead of 52 and all kinds of other devices connected. (ie sling box, a Roku player, a couple ipads and a security DVR all being used at the same time ).

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

It's irrelevant if people don't notice it in day to day use.
If they run a speed test or download a large file and they see service they paid for is not delivering, they have every right to complain..or switch services.
But you have no right to chastise people for asking to get what they paid for.
--

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JosephB

you'd be surprised how many people have bad antivirus/web protection or outdated routers that are 10/100 which can't handle 60 megabits... and many people aren't as tech savvy which makes them blame the svc instead of their equipment. my boost svc has been within 10% of the fluff of 59 mbits down and 8 up just about all the time. On rare occasions it slows down to about 50 and 6ish (or lower for about 10 minutes)... can't explain why...

on many tablets you will only get 11 - 30 megabits over 802.11n so don't expect the full speed there. a desktop/laptop is the only rateable test you can do. as for antivirus, I think ESET would be a better choice... if it does anything bad, it would shut down internet svc, not bottleneck it... then you have to go in & fix. also, checking your protocol list in internet connections is a good idea too to make sure that no bad client stuff got in there that shouldn't be.. the web is a nasty place in the last 5 years and your antivirus/anti malware might not keep up..

noticewhat

@optonline.net
reply to MxxCon

said by MxxCon:

It's irrelevant if people don't notice it in day to day use.
If they run a speed test or download a large file and they see service they paid for is not delivering, they have every right to complain..or switch services.
But you have no right to chastise people for asking to get what they paid for.

So what you are saying is they don't see any issues. They are running speed tests and not getting a guaranteed number they are told they should get... although I never was told I would get 50. I was told "up to 50".

I was just asking what were the symptoms they witness in order to check their speeds. Your reply tells me you know they are not actually witnessing an issue.