share rss forum feed

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to PBateman

Re: VPN router recommendations for whole house VPN

said by PBateman :

One thing I do not want is VPN software on my PCs, we just have too many and tablets and phones.

The fact that you have this requirement :

said by PBateman :

I would also like the ability to VPN INTO my local network (in the case of being near open wifi).

If you're doing an IPSec VPN, you'll need client software, unless you use SSL VPN.
Also, you'll have to do some research into the LEVEL of access you want in SSL VPN.
It can vary from simple things and web-based mail all the way to full Java client
access... again, YMMV with SSL VPN so do your research accordingly.

said by PBateman :

would it be more cost effective to get cheap dated x86 hardware with 2 nics and place that between my ISP gateway and my router?

Possibly. If you have an old box lying around and you're in a DIY mood, go nuts. There's multiple
*nix distros that'd do what you want. On the commerical end is Vyatta and possibly Astaro, neither
of which I do not have any direct experience with.

Regards

bigboy

join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA

said by HELLFIRE See Profile
If you're doing an IPSec VPN, you'll need client software, unless you use SSL VPN.
Also, you'll have to do some research into the LEVEL of access you want in SSL VPN.
It can vary from simple things and web-based mail all the way to full Java client
access... again, YMMV with SSL VPN so do your research accordingly.

Depends on what you're running. I am able to use L2TP/IPSec that comes with Mountain Lion (10.8) to VPN into my Zyxel. In fact I am also able to VPN with my iPhone as well, though I haven't found that feature too useful for me in a home context.