uniqs

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to roman19

Anon

to roman19

Re: Electronic Box Pre-Sale Experience

you can try start.ca

you can get DSL or Cable to most places in Ontario. They service Rogers and Cogeco areas with Cable.

roman19
@cogentco.com

roman19

Anon

I already contacted Start, they replied within 24hrs, and checked my address against Bell database, I can get max. 14/1 here.

Currently have cable plus cellphone data plan as backup. Cable provider had 2 day planned outage and there was no warning. I have no way to tether cell to entire home network so it was 1 PC only. Still with same cable folks, but would like an overlap when switching (not sure if two cable providers can overlap service if they both go through Cogeco) plus I read somewhere DSL does not get congested as easy as cable.

ElectronicBox is the only one who has no-charge dry-loop. IMO dry-loop is Bell cash grab, physical line has been paid for long ago when phone service was first installed here and Bell is only milking it today. Cogeco also owns physical line and yet cable ISPs don't charge "naked cable" fees. If there was no $10/m dry-loop fee, I'd take Start no problem.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

can you pm me the name of the person who replied to you.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Uh-oh, someone's gonna get a spanking.....

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax to roman19

to roman19
said by roman19 :

Cogeco also owns physical line and yet cable ISPs don't charge "naked cable" fees.

I beg to differ. All cablecos collect a one-time service charge to switch one of their customers over to one of the new resellers. (Cogeco charges almost $60) In addition, the cableco charges back a monthly fee (dry loop equivalent) to the reseller. The end user customer does not see it because it is built into the price unlike DSL incumbents that are required to break out the charge. Cogeco's rates are the highest which is why there is so little competition in Cogeco territories of Ontario and Quebec. They must be in someone's pocket at the CRTC to have such high tariffs approved.

roman19
@cogentco.com

roman19 to diskace

Anon

to diskace
I got another reply with answer to my original question directly from Jean Philippe. He even offered more info than I requested. Thank you !