uniqs
share rss forum feed

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Zach1

Re: Fluke 37X clamp meter recall

What was the flaw that requires the recall?

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
said by PrntRhd:

What was the flaw that requires the recall?

Holding the OP's link up to a strong light, we see:
said by Fluke advisory :

Description of the problem

The printed circuit assembly may not be properly fastened to the test lead input jack. This may result in inaccurate voltage readings, including a low or no voltage reading on a circuit energized with a hazardous voltage, presenting a shock, electrocution or thermal burn hazard.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
said by Steve:

Holding the OP's link up to a strong light, we see:

said by Fluke advisory :

Description of the problem

The printed circuit assembly may not be properly fastened to the test lead input jack. This may result in inaccurate voltage readings, including a low or no voltage reading on a circuit energized with a hazardous voltage, presenting a shock, electrocution or thermal burn hazard.

Only Fluke would ever do that. Commercial Electric (UL registration says Sperry Instruments same model »www.ebay.com/itm/2-SPERRY-HDM350···25866053 »donnahuebsch.files.wordpress.com···eter.jpg ) and Harbor Freight special, loose sockets are normal. I occasionally have to open them, and sqeeuze the socket on the PCB board to get it to grip the lead tightly. Always test your meter in a known live socket a few seconds before use on a "dead" circuit.

»www.harborfreight.com/7-function···025.html »www.amazon.com/Digital-Multimete···ltimeter (note almost but not exactly the same), if you paid more than $3.00 for this meter you were ripped off. AFAIK this is the cheapest multimeter on earth that comes with leads.

The alternative is a coathanger (if you have scrap zip wire, turn into to the scrap metal dealer), pipe clamps (2 of them, one small one around the neutral (ok engineers, you win, there is no neutral on a bulb), a large duct size pipe clamp to attach coathanger to the hot pin, and light bulb, if you get funny feelings in your hands from touching the coat hanger. Put up a ladder upto your chimney, get a knife, carve some creosote from the chimney and spread that along the coat hanger. Put the remaining creosote in your grill for the next hog BBQ. It will taste like christmas I promise you.

Choice 2, DRY! fingers and plastic soled shoes.

Choice 3, not really a choice (since it doesn't test for power, it just turns off the power), unfold a paper clip, take a deep breath, put it in the outlet. Instant off switch! now your kids can't do the same thing when you are gone!

Choice 4, this one is very expensive, inductive tone probe for wire tracing detects hot and in use neutral wires. That noise the tone probe creates, its the sound of cancer! Try it on your smartphone, make sure the screen it lite, apply the toner, and you can confirm your smartphone is keeping your family nuts warm for the future.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
said by patcat88:

Always test your meter in a known live socket a few seconds before use on a "dead" circuit.

Wow, I have never thought of that. Thank you.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Steve
Thanks

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Always test your meter in a known live socket a few seconds before use on a "dead" circuit.

Agree with the precaution but I use a much lower tech solution to make sure the circuit is dead. I use a neon voltage tester. I have a non-contact voltage testers but much prefer my simple method and it does not require batteries.

Due to the high value of series resistor you don't even need neutral or ground. Simply holding one of the neon leads in your hand while touching the other to "dead" circuit will light the tester if the circuit is hot. I would not recommend this for high voltage circuits but for 120V works fine.

I used to have a screwdriver tester that worked this way but have long since misplaced it.

/tom

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to Steve
said by Steve:

said by patcat88:

Wow, I have never thought of that. Thank you.

The preferred dead-or-alive circuit test-method adopted in segments of the power utility industry is to prove the tester (meter), check the "work" and prove the meter, once again.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
In addition to testing the meter immediately prior; when doing high voltage or switchboard work; we use two meters, as well...

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
said by LazMan:

In addition to testing the meter immediately prior; when doing high voltage or switchboard work; we use two meters, as well...

What happened to grounding?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
Depends on the circumstance - as a utility, we do a lot of hot work. I mainly do DC; and that is a whole different set of rules, as well.