uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

1 edit

[crt/lcd] Possibly Scratched LCD Monitor

Click for full size
Hi

I may have a scratched LCD montor possible I may of hit it by accident with a USB cable but Im not sure if that was the cause or I did not notice this before until today. Please see print screen.

Its not really noticable as shown in the picture. That spot in the picture only looks bigger because of the camera shot and light relections....But its not all that bad.

I tried scraping it off but I thought that would cause even more damage. By looking at the print screen, there is this small white blob looking scratch on it. Can this be fixed with any homemade remedy or should I replace the whole monitir with a new one?

Thanks

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

I have something similar on one of my LCDs. Sorry, no advice on repair as I never found any. I've just gotten used to it being there and barely notice it anymore. It's my secondary monitor in a 2 monitor setup.

Hopefully some might have a suggestion.
--
»www.caryontech.com

slajoh01

Its not noticable especially when Im concentrating on my work.
Its not too bad.

Thanks, and any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

another suggestion is to replace the broken screen as it has micro cracks in it.

slajoh01

I would just get a new monitor down the road. Thanks for the advice though.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to slajoh01

That looks more like a "burn" or a "hole" in the screen (assuming you're referring to the white portion). If so, your USB cable did not damage it. See this thread for what the likely cause is (see what Aranarth See Profile said):

»[crt/lcd] Screen Issue
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

slajoh01

2 edits

According to that thread link, the picture shows black spots.
Mine is a small tiny white blob. It doesnt bother that much at all.

But eventually, I will get a new monitor down the down someday.

I tried to scratch it off with my fingers, but I dont wanna damage it anymore.

The white spot on my monitor looks smaller than the one from my print shot. It just seems bigger due to the light orientation from the camera shot.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

Please look closer at the picture in the thread I linked.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to koitsu

said by koitsu:

That looks more like a "burn" or a "hole" in the screen (assuming you're referring to the white portion). If so, your USB cable did not damage it. See this thread for what the likely cause is (see what Aranarth See Profile said):

»[crt/lcd] Screen Issue

his warranty is voided since he did abuse it by hitting it with the USB cable
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

said by Anonymous_:

said by koitsu:

»[crt/lcd] Screen Issue

his warranty is voided since he did abuse it by hitting it with the USB cable

Hitting an LCD with a USB cable would not cause the problem I referenced -- what it looks like is the TFT array or colour film wearing away (possibly as a result of misaligned lighting inside of the monitor, i.e. it's being gradually burnt through). Please see how common TFT LCDs are layered: »www.plasma.com/classroom/what_is_tft_lcd.htm -- also worth watching:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiejNAUwcQ8

What I'm saying: I strongly doubt his USB cable mishap would have damaged the monitor in the fashion demonstrated via the photo. Otherwise, he should take a more accurate photo to depict the problem. :P
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.