VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

4 edits

1 recommendation

Path of Exile - Guide and Tips

Thought I'd start a new thread for easy access to PoE info so it wouldn't get buried in the other PoE thread.

said by »www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/com···rs_need/ :
• HAVE FUN and don’t worry if you’re using the best or most optimal builds! The game is designed for you to create multiple characters and explore different item and skill combinations. Your first character is almost guaranteed to suck. So go with it and just enjoy the ride.

• Pick an AOE skill early on and USE it! You can thank me when you’re not 30 levels behind everyone else.

• To link an item in chat hold control + alt and then click the item.

• You can use ANY gem as ANY class as long as you meet the stat requirements

• Some reasons to not level up a skill gem – the mana cost of the upgraded skill may become too prohibitive or you may not have the stats required to use the upgraded skill gem.

• Control + click an instance allows you to reset that instance. Useful for farming.

• Empty instances are reset after 15 minutes. Keep those town-runs quick, and if you need to be AFK for longer periods of time do so in a safe part of the instance and not in town.

• If you die in hardcore your character will be moved to the regular(softcore) league and you can continue playing them there.

• Exalted Orbs, Divine Orbs, Gem Cutters Prisms, and Chaos Orbs are the most valuable currency. Best bet is to hoard everything until you get a good understanding of values in this game.

• White items can be insanely valuable. This is because some of the best items in the game can be crafted from a white item using the aforementioned currencies. Example: Find a high base quality white weapon. Increase its quality by +20% using Blacksmith’s Whetstones(a currency item), then use an Orb of Alchemy on the item to make it a rare!

• Pick up: all currency items, quality skill gems(hover over the gem, if it has a Quality bonus, no matter how small, pick it up), uniques(duh), items with three color links(ex. red, blue, green socket linked together, these vendor for chromatic orbs, a valuable currency item).

• Vendors change their inventory when you level up. Be sure to check vendors for 3 color link items as you can sell them back for the chromatic orb at the cost of one scroll of wisdom. Thanks Koil See Profile

• White items to keep a lookout for – any item with 5+ links, 5+ link items are very rare and can be sold/upgraded well. And of course three color link items.

• Dual wielding grants +10% increased attack speed and +15% increased block chance

• There are now three acts with three difficulty types(normal, cruel, and merciless). Pretty much normal, hell, inferno. Each increase in difficulty and act makes the game noticeably more difficult. In cruel your resists are reduced by 20% and in Merciless your resists are reduced by 60%.

• You need elemental resistances. An easy way to build up resists is through rings. It’s a good idea to carry around different sets of resist rings and swap them out depending on the mobs you encounter.

• Path of Exile can be unforgiving for those who neglect defenses(like elemental resistances). Sure you could make a full glass cannon build. But, would I advise that? Absolutely not.

• Be sure to pick up over +100% life or energy shield from your passive skill tree(cumulative from +8% and +20% nodes, there isn't one single gigantic +100% node to clarify).

• When making new builds plan for about 80-85 skill points. No need to get all crazy with a 120 point build. By the time you have 80-85 points you’ll have a much better understanding of where the skill points should be going. Also, this keeps your head from exploding.

• Look out for puncture. This is a skill enemies use that does five times more damage while you are moving. You are effected by puncture if you’re leaving a giant trail of blood behind you, and you HP is dropping like a rock.

• Don’t know how to build your character? Check out the official path of exile forums for ideas. »www.pathofexile.com/forum

• You can join other player’s games by visiting the message-board in town. Friends who slay together, stay together!

• AURAS. Put your aura spells in gear set II if you don't intend on using gear set II otherwise. Frees up space on your hotkeys for all your explodey needs.

• Weapons/shields equipped in your secondary weapon/shield set (you can swap between 2) can be used to level up skill gems, though you can't cast them when those weapons aren't equipped.

• If you happen to over-level a gem sell it together with an orb of scouring to any vendor and it will lose a level. For example, when you sell a level 14 wrath gem plus 1 orb of scouring, you'll get a level 13 wrath gem in return.

• Tab to open map, arrow keys to move map around.

• Ctrl+Click item to move it between stash, trade, vendor, inventory windows

• Control + click an instance allows you to reset that instance. Useful for farming. -Thanks TheThing See Profile

• X - swaps you back and forth between primary and secondary weapon sets. -Thanks Koil See Profile

• Use a portal spell right before a boss fight to avoid a long walk back (ex: Merveil). Thanks Dissembled See Profile

Approximate Orb Values

Better Currency Exchange Rates

Console Commands
• /help - shows you a list of all commands
• /invite CharacterName
• /online - list the number of players currently online in the whole game, not just the realm or league
• /ladder - shows the top ten places in the current ladder
• /destroy - destroys the item on the cursor
• /deaths - displays the amount of times the current character has died
• /played - displays time played on the current character
• /age - displays how long ago the current character was created
• /itemlevel - displays the level of the item on the cursor
• /debug - displays information about the current characters level/position - this is useful for game developers
• /whois
• /ignore and /squelch - adds the account to your ignore list so you don't see their chat messages
• /unignore and /unsquelch - removes the account from your ignore list
• /kick - kicks a character from a party, you can kick yourself to leave
• /party_description - change the party description, only if you're party leader
• F1 - FPS, Latency

»templeofexiles.com/ - Fan site with more information
»en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes - Special Vendor Recipes. Thanks Coolbrz See Profile
»www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223 - Expanded Recipes Thread
»www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/ - GGG's Interactive Passive Skill Tree. Thanks Koil See Profile

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
Reserved

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to VioletVenom
ooo la la

thanks!

"• Control + click an instance allows you to reset that instance. Useful for farming."

going to try this out tonite!

does ctrl+click work for resetting Act bosses so I can farm them?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to VioletVenom
Leveling gems on your secondary weapon/armor set. That's brilliant. Thanks for that tidbit.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to VioletVenom
X - swaps you back and forth between primary and secondary weapon sets.

Awesome list...thanks!!!

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to VioletVenom
I'm going to assume that the worth of a white item that you used orbs to get to a 3 link / color items isn't going to be worth what you put into it to get it there, right? (unless you got super lucky somehow, maybe?)

Rares: Do you treat these the same as you do magic items? I'm building up quite the collection as I'm not sure what to do with them.
Same goes for browns (Legendary??...actually got one today, as well (its crappy, but still))?

I've been picking up all magic items and ID'ing the shit out of them, which is not possible to sustain, lemme tell ya. Hopefully with your tips here I'll refine what I pick up. Thanks again.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

TheThing

seems complicated...

im not going to worry about building a super weapon until end game..

but even then, i guess it would probably be much cheaper to trade for something you see cool in global chat, than to build it yourself

luck > grind

some marauder might come accross some epic weapon for a witch, and sell it cheap compared what it would cost you to build it

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to VioletVenom
Also, I'm building something of a magic find set (Increase of rarity for items found), to use some diablo terminology...is this viable and often done?

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to VioletVenom
Pretty nice build calc for those interested.

Note the check boxes at the bottom to help find your way.

»www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
Keep this tips coming, I'll keep adding stuff as it's found.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to VioletVenom
Here's a tip: Throw down a portal before engaging an end dungeon boss.

We all like to think we're invincible, but when you waypoint back and find the upper two levels of the dungeon have reset on you, you'll be happy you left that portal open.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to VioletVenom
Placing this in the tips thread:

3 link / 3 color items are worth a chromatic orb

Vendors change their inventory when you level up.

Always check all the vendors for these type items. I just found 2 from the A1 vendor that I bought for 1x Wisdom scroll, turned right around and sold it back to him for the chromatic.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to VioletVenom
I was just thinking to myself "I should go check out some guides/tips for PoE" when staring at this forum thread list and I noticed this post. Thank you!
--
Cutler @ Jade Quarry (GW2)

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
Games this in-depth I don't like jumping in feet first myself. I prefer to play some and get a feel for the game and then get some edjumahcation on. So, you're welcome.

I'll add the above tips when I get home later.

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to VioletVenom
This game seems very in-depth. My mind is already becoming a giant clusterfuck until I figure out how everything works, heh (ah, the beauty of MMOs).
--
GW2 - Cutler, PoE - Cutlerbeast

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
Hehe, me too. I just leveled up to 32 with my witch. I think I've spent 12ish passive points and have the rest saved. For the reason I feel the game is slowly ramping upwards in difficulty and I'm trying not to pidgeonhold my first character. For example I've noticed mobs are starting to curse me now in the latest area I moved into. Their resistances are changing, more spell casting mobs, etc. So far the character doesn't seem that gimpy by not having spent all my points. I am going slow so that might have something to do with it.

Edit- My original point I was going to make. I still feel lost with the passive skill tree. Still trying to wrap my head around what does what and the possibilities of certain builds.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to VioletVenom
said by VioletVenom:

• To link an item in chat hold control + alt and then click the item.

Goddamn it thank you! I could NOT figure this out. I kept trying ctrl+click and alt+click; it never occurred to me to do both at the same time.

Anyway that was bugging me and I never took the time to figure it out in game. I'll go read the rest of the post now.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to VioletVenom
I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've spent a few more than you, but I'm level 33 and have 11 pts to assign.

I'm in A3, and I'm feeling the ass whippings more and more. This is likely due to gear first and foremost, but I'm thinking resists are going to need to be taken at some point in the tree.

To help wrap your head around the skill tree, use that skill calc I linked. You search certain keywords to find where they appear in the tree. It will also show the shortest path to get to that spot as well. Kinda helps take the tedious out of it.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
I've heard the same thing about not skimping on resists.

Believe me, I've been using the skill calc, and I'm still apprehensive to spend my points in game. Here is how I have my points distributed right now minus the elemental equilibrium (EE), which reinforces my point. My thought was to build a frost/fire witch. Using that passive I could weaken mobs with one elemental and slap them with the other, coupled with a curse (using elemental weakness right now) my thought was hardly any resists. In reality, after playing with EE for a while I couldn't stand it. Mobs don't group up nicely to hit them with one elemental spell and then another. So I would be battling some mobs that were fire resistant and others were frost. There went my first respec point.

Anyway, this is my current build:
»www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil···HRSYrQ==
And this is where I'm thinking of heading:
»www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil···B6VrFw==

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
lol..I found this out today, too! This is kinda bizarre...anyway, yeah, I found the cold curse spell, I forget the name atm, but i had to equip some dex to get it to fire. So, off I go thinking how awesome it will be to debuff and then nail with frost nova....not so much. First, it doesn't debuff THAT much (at least the current level...may be worth leveling it up and trying it later), and secondly...getting everyone to smile for the camera so I can debuff em didn't work all that well, either...so I scrapped that and wen't back to my regular setup, but I'm in the mosolium now, and it's rough....Very Rough. I'm gonna have to upgrade some gear asap and / or spend pts...I don't think I can complete with out it, unless I just get lucky.
--

My Blog - Raising Connor

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

1 edit
reply to VioletVenom
Found this, and it freaking rocks, esp for ppl like me with inventory hoarder syndrome:

»www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-t···2/page/1

What is it:
An extension to the chrome web browser that allows you to find crafting recipes and helps to organise your inventory. Initially developed by HouseAbsolute then updated by TJJ. I have taken the sourcecode and mutilated it beyond recognition.

You can download the extension here: »njs50.github.com/poe_ext/

Installation

1) click »raw.github.com/njs50/poe_ext/mas···_ext.crx to download the file

2) Ignore the message about not being able to install

3) Type in chrome://extensions in the address bar to go to your extensions page.

4) drag the file you downloaded in 1 (should be on the bottom of your screen still) into this page.

See more details on the actual page.

It works like a champ...freaking awesome.

You can print out your inventory, export to a spreadsheet, show all the stats on the items, etc...pretty boss and would go a long way in trading on here, for example. Just list what you got for trade and boom. Post it up. Epic.

--

My Blog - Raising Connor

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

lol..I found this out today, too! This is kinda bizarre...anyway, yeah, I found the cold curse spell, I forget the name atm, but i had to equip some dex to get it to fire. So, off I go thinking how awesome it will be to debuff and then nail with frost nova....not so much. First, it doesn't debuff THAT much (at least the current level...may be worth leveling it up and trying it later), and secondly...getting everyone to smile for the camera so I can debuff em didn't work all that well, either...so I scrapped that and wen't back to my regular setup, but I'm in the mosolium now, and it's rough....Very Rough. I'm gonna have to upgrade some gear asap and / or spend pts...I don't think I can complete with out it, unless I just get lucky.

Frostbite? That curse is great, it has a chance to actually freeze them too. It really shines on the later difficulties where the resist cold mobs are really tough.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29

1 recommendation

reply to Koil
said by Koil:

I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've spent a few more than you, but I'm level 33 and have 11 pts to assign.

I'm in A3, and I'm feeling the ass whippings more and more. This is likely due to gear first and foremost, but I'm thinking resists are going to need to be taken at some point in the tree.

To help wrap your head around the skill tree, use that skill calc I linked. You search certain keywords to find where they appear in the tree. It will also show the shortest path to get to that spot as well. Kinda helps take the tedious out of it.

Also, I don't know about taking passive skills for resists. My freezing pulse templar has max resists and all I've got is a few double resists on some armor and a 34% to all resists kite shield. I think passive points for resists in my opinion would be a waste.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom
There's some good info here in this article »leviathyn.com/games-2/pc/2013/01···aeclast/. This is the section on bartering and upgrading.....

quote:
Understand the barter and upgrade systems, don’t discard any loot

One thing you really need to let slam into your noggin is that Path of Exile does not have a gold system or any other kind of coin/dollar/price tag currency system. It uses a barter system in which items are the form of payment and trade.
Let that sink in because this is a very rare system to see in games like this.
The first thing you need to know is that any piece of loot can be worth your while – either for barter or even use. So do yourself a favor and get rid of the Diablo-like “oh it’s only a white-colored item, it’s not worth it” attitude, because you’ll be missing out. Any item can theoretically be something of worth.
This system does well to make sure that almost any item put into Path of Exile will be something to note and there is no need for gold farming or price gouging among players. In fact, the barter system and item upgrade system in Path of Exile promotes player trading and helping out those around you.
That being said, the way to tell if an item is useless to you is to look at its quality level and parity (level of rarity).
For instance, if you have a common (white) level Superior Mace with a quality level of +15%, I’d keep that thing. What you can do is use your obtained orbs and increase the quality to, say, +20% and then use an Orb of Alchemy to reforge it into a rare (yellow) item and you may have just made yourself a brand new weapon.
If you find a common item with a low quality level then its barter food, sell it or just don’t pick it up.
In fact, the most common bartered items are magic (blue) items. Most of them are useless and they can’t be converted into rare items so keep them unidentified and just sell them as unknown items, unless you desperately need something to fill a slot early on in the game.
Try your best to not sit there and identify every item with Scrolls of Wisdom, they are precious and not something you can buy from vendors. Scrolls and Orbs can be made from fragments you get from bartering or you can find them out in the world as loot drops. Either way, don’t sell them and don’t squander them. Also, they are the preferred items for trade among players.
Also, don’t upgrade every item with your Orbs. Wait until you get to a point where you need an upgrade and then use them. You can typically get by most areas with the gear you have until you hit a boss or come up to a strong elite enemy. Carefully read what each Orb does and try to memorize the names for every Orb and what they do because when trading with players you’ll need to remember what each does if you’re asked for one as a negotiation piece.
Finally, know that Divine Orbs, Chaos Orbs, Gem Cutter Orbs, and Exalted Orbs are the rarest, most powerful, and most sought out of the Orbs. They will do some amazing things to your items and you could get some amazing things from other players for them.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom
I thought this video was really good about item progression. After watching it, it makes a whole lot more sense. He demonstrates a lot of stuff on upgrading items and what to expect.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpbOUvXCEE

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
Nice vid....thx

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to VioletVenom
He's certainly right that any piece of gear has value. The problem is, it's unrealistic to think you're going to haul around everything you find.

I also disagree with something else he said. He says look at the quality on white items and judge based on that. Perhaps in the first 10 levels that is correct, but last night I found a white Royal Bow and kept it. It has 0% quality. I put 4 whetstones on it and took it to 20% quality. Then, I turned it yellow. Why? Because it had 4 green sockets, all linked. It's now a kick ass bow for my ranger while he's in his 30's.

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom
The ability to augment/alter items in this game to tailor them to my character is phenomenal. Awesome idea. So happy to not see any real form of currency in this game as well (orbs only, which is mostly a currency created by the community itself). No pay-to-win =
--
GW2 - Cutler, PoE - Cutlerbeast

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
I plan on jumping on this tonight! Quick question, what is the point or purpose of linking the sockets in items as opposed to them not linked?
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

TheThing

you have skill gems

and you haev support gems

support gems modify skills from gems

you can have a skil gem, modified by 2 support gems (3 linked together)

so your skill might be fireball

support #1: split spell into 3

you now fire 3 fireballs

support #2: damage caused by your spell heals you

you now fire 3 fireballs, that when they cause damage, it heals you