Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to VioletVenom

Re: Path of Exile - Guide and Tips

Found this, and it freaking rocks, esp for ppl like me with inventory hoarder syndrome:

»www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-t···2/page/1

What is it:
An extension to the chrome web browser that allows you to find crafting recipes and helps to organise your inventory. Initially developed by HouseAbsolute then updated by TJJ. I have taken the sourcecode and mutilated it beyond recognition.

You can download the extension here: »njs50.github.com/poe_ext/

Installation

1) click »raw.github.com/njs50/poe_ext/mas···_ext.crx to download the file

2) Ignore the message about not being able to install

3) Type in chrome://extensions in the address bar to go to your extensions page.

4) drag the file you downloaded in 1 (should be on the bottom of your screen still) into this page.

See more details on the actual page.

It works like a champ...freaking awesome.

You can print out your inventory, export to a spreadsheet, show all the stats on the items, etc...pretty boss and would go a long way in trading on here, for example. Just list what you got for trade and boom. Post it up. Epic.

--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to Koil

said by Koil:

lol..I found this out today, too! This is kinda bizarre...anyway, yeah, I found the cold curse spell, I forget the name atm, but i had to equip some dex to get it to fire. So, off I go thinking how awesome it will be to debuff and then nail with frost nova....not so much. First, it doesn't debuff THAT much (at least the current level...may be worth leveling it up and trying it later), and secondly...getting everyone to smile for the camera so I can debuff em didn't work all that well, either...so I scrapped that and wen't back to my regular setup, but I'm in the mosolium now, and it's rough....Very Rough. I'm gonna have to upgrade some gear asap and / or spend pts...I don't think I can complete with out it, unless I just get lucky.

Frostbite? That curse is great, it has a chance to actually freeze them too. It really shines on the later difficulties where the resist cold mobs are really tough.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29

1 recommendation

reply to Koil

said by Koil:

I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've spent a few more than you, but I'm level 33 and have 11 pts to assign.

I'm in A3, and I'm feeling the ass whippings more and more. This is likely due to gear first and foremost, but I'm thinking resists are going to need to be taken at some point in the tree.

To help wrap your head around the skill tree, use that skill calc I linked. You search certain keywords to find where they appear in the tree. It will also show the shortest path to get to that spot as well. Kinda helps take the tedious out of it.

Also, I don't know about taking passive skills for resists. My freezing pulse templar has max resists and all I've got is a few double resists on some armor and a 34% to all resists kite shield. I think passive points for resists in my opinion would be a waste.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom

There's some good info here in this article »leviathyn.com/games-2/pc/2013/01···aeclast/. This is the section on bartering and upgrading.....

quote:
Understand the barter and upgrade systems, don’t discard any loot

One thing you really need to let slam into your noggin is that Path of Exile does not have a gold system or any other kind of coin/dollar/price tag currency system. It uses a barter system in which items are the form of payment and trade.
Let that sink in because this is a very rare system to see in games like this.
The first thing you need to know is that any piece of loot can be worth your while – either for barter or even use. So do yourself a favor and get rid of the Diablo-like “oh it’s only a white-colored item, it’s not worth it” attitude, because you’ll be missing out. Any item can theoretically be something of worth.
This system does well to make sure that almost any item put into Path of Exile will be something to note and there is no need for gold farming or price gouging among players. In fact, the barter system and item upgrade system in Path of Exile promotes player trading and helping out those around you.
That being said, the way to tell if an item is useless to you is to look at its quality level and parity (level of rarity).
For instance, if you have a common (white) level Superior Mace with a quality level of +15%, I’d keep that thing. What you can do is use your obtained orbs and increase the quality to, say, +20% and then use an Orb of Alchemy to reforge it into a rare (yellow) item and you may have just made yourself a brand new weapon.
If you find a common item with a low quality level then its barter food, sell it or just don’t pick it up.
In fact, the most common bartered items are magic (blue) items. Most of them are useless and they can’t be converted into rare items so keep them unidentified and just sell them as unknown items, unless you desperately need something to fill a slot early on in the game.
Try your best to not sit there and identify every item with Scrolls of Wisdom, they are precious and not something you can buy from vendors. Scrolls and Orbs can be made from fragments you get from bartering or you can find them out in the world as loot drops. Either way, don’t sell them and don’t squander them. Also, they are the preferred items for trade among players.
Also, don’t upgrade every item with your Orbs. Wait until you get to a point where you need an upgrade and then use them. You can typically get by most areas with the gear you have until you hit a boss or come up to a strong elite enemy. Carefully read what each Orb does and try to memorize the names for every Orb and what they do because when trading with players you’ll need to remember what each does if you’re asked for one as a negotiation piece.
Finally, know that Divine Orbs, Chaos Orbs, Gem Cutter Orbs, and Exalted Orbs are the rarest, most powerful, and most sought out of the Orbs. They will do some amazing things to your items and you could get some amazing things from other players for them.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom

I thought this video was really good about item progression. After watching it, it makes a whole lot more sense. He demonstrates a lot of stuff on upgrading items and what to expect.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpbOUvXCEE

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Nice vid....thx

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to VioletVenom

He's certainly right that any piece of gear has value. The problem is, it's unrealistic to think you're going to haul around everything you find.

I also disagree with something else he said. He says look at the quality on white items and judge based on that. Perhaps in the first 10 levels that is correct, but last night I found a white Royal Bow and kept it. It has 0% quality. I put 4 whetstones on it and took it to 20% quality. Then, I turned it yellow. Why? Because it had 4 green sockets, all linked. It's now a kick ass bow for my ranger while he's in his 30's.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom

The ability to augment/alter items in this game to tailor them to my character is phenomenal. Awesome idea. So happy to not see any real form of currency in this game as well (orbs only, which is mostly a currency created by the community itself). No pay-to-win =
--
GW2 - Cutler, PoE - Cutlerbeast

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

I plan on jumping on this tonight! Quick question, what is the point or purpose of linking the sockets in items as opposed to them not linked?
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

you have skill gems

and you haev support gems

support gems modify skills from gems

you can have a skil gem, modified by 2 support gems (3 linked together)

so your skill might be fireball

support #1: split spell into 3

you now fire 3 fireballs

support #2: damage caused by your spell heals you

you now fire 3 fireballs, that when they cause damage, it heals you

TheThing

reply to VioletVenom

right now my marauder has a 3-linked gem axe

skill: cleave (hit multiple mobs)
support #1: your attack also does fire damage
support #2: a % of the damage heals you

my cleaves now do fire damage, on top of the regular damage, and a % of the damage heals me

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to VioletVenom

More great stuff guys! One problem I didn't realize about the forums here, you are only able to edit a post 5 days from the original posting date. So I'm no longer able to edit the top post now. I was thinking of trying to organize it better so the newest information people found would be displayed at the top. But that idea is out the window.

@stvnbrs- You have main gems (spells) and support gems. So say I socket my fireball and then link it with a multiple projectile gem now I have multiple fireballs.

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC

Awesome, and the f2p is because it is in beta still? Any word on cost later?
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

said by stvnbrs:

It's f2p forever...microtrans will support it, will never be pay to win.

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC

said by Koil:

said by stvnbrs:

Is it still in beta? If I make characters tonight, will I lose them in the future? And holy ****, need to get in on this.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

said by stvnbrs:

said by Koil:

said by stvnbrs:

Is it still in beta? If I make characters tonight, will I lose them in the future? And holy ****, need to get in on this.

Yes, still in beta, but there will be no more wipes. It's basically "out" now, but there are still bugs they're working on.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to stvnbrs

It's a cool ass game dude. Very atmospheric. Your head will explode from sheer overload just looking at the skill tree. The more I read about this game, the deeper it gets.

This game is a theory crafters wet dream.

TheThing

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

blizzard coming!

time to bunker in and play vodeo games for 72 horus non stop!

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to VioletVenom

I work at a medical clinic in Chicago (~5-minutes from downtown) and ~2-3 years ago, while I was here, a blizzard began coming down hard. I punch-out at 6:00 PM, however, on that day we were sent home early (~3:00 PM) because of poor visibility and the snow just packing so bad. The clinic was closed down for an additional 2 days. Boy do I wish we'd get hit by this Northeastern storm.

I think we got over 2-feet on that day. Standing outside of my house the streets had snow piled up to the level of a car's hood, and in some places more. My friend and I made 600 total (which we split) for 4-hours of shoveling that day by hand. I was hurtin'!
--

TheThing

reply to VioletVenom

chicago is a beautiful city

i b*nged a hot exotic asian/polish chick there

the good old days!

tell dino sue i say hi!

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to pr1mo

We got 18 inches here a couple of years ago, which is a lot for the middle of Missouri. I put some pics in the weather forum. I hear you about hurting after all that shoveling,it took me hours just to get a path to the street from my door. As much as I'd like a snow day to play PoE I don't know if I want that much to happen again any time soon. A friend in Albany says they're expecting something like 20 inches.

TheThing

reply to VioletVenom

in CT the last tiem we had a major snow storm we lost power

that's double screwed

as long as we don't lose power... let it snow let it snow let it snow!

pr1mo
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to VioletVenom

Everyone give TheThing a nice farewell. We won't see him online for about a week. Make sure you take pictures of your igloo
--

TheThing

Gonna be locked in the house with the wife with no power for 3 days, with nothing to do but...

i told her

"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to VioletVenom

Started playing last night. So far I have been keeping all mats / orbs ect. I am also only picking up blue items or quality items for sale. Does anyone have any better tips on how to distinguish loot? Also, someone mentioned in-game that there are vendor recipe sales, such as a 3-color linked item will give you an orb, or a ring + orb will sell for a different type of ring. Anyone have better info on this?
--

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

Gonna be locked in the house with the wife with no power for 3 days, with nothing to do but...

i told her

"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

"This won't end well." - Traherne

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to stvnbrs

said by stvnbrs:

Started playing last night. So far I have been keeping all mats / orbs ect. I am also only picking up blue items or quality items for sale. Does anyone have any better tips on how to distinguish loot? Also, someone mentioned in-game that there are vendor recipe sales, such as a 3-color linked item will give you an orb, or a ring + orb will sell for a different type of ring. Anyone have better info on this?

»en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

This is a recipes list for ya. Just selling items as you get them will not get you the best orbs in return. Make sure you try to sell items so it fits what you want.

What I try to do is pick a orb that I want to work on, and sell items to match that orb for a while. Get a few of them, then move on to the next.

Stash Tab Bundle is a great item to buy if you really get into it. Items like Chaos Orb's can take a lot of saving and room up in your stash.

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC

said by primeomega:

said by stvnbrs:

»en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

This is a recipes list for ya. Just selling items as you get them will not get you the best orbs in return. Make sure you try to sell items so it fits what you want.

What I try to do is pick a orb that I want to work on, and sell items to match that orb for a while. Get a few of them, then move on to the next.

Stash Tab Bundle is a great item to buy if you really get into it. Items like Chaos Orb's can take a lot of saving and room up in your stash.

At work, any way to get a copy/paste? I normally show support for games like this though a transaction, even if I don't stick around, kinda like a tip for doing well. I may just get the tab bundle while they are on sale.
--

Coolbrz

join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom

Another tip, most may know this but have seen people ask about it in game.

You dont need a skill always on your hotkeys to have them work. I bring this up due to later on when you start possibly running alot of auras.

You can switch a key to an aura, then activate the aura and then remove it from your hotkeys. So i use one key to enable the 3 auras i currently run, then switch it back to another skill.

As long as you dont die, the auras will always be on. They wont show up when youre in town but as soon as you head back out in an instance they will be on.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4

I spent 45 minutes last night reading skills. Are the level up points all passives for all classes?
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.