·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total to Stewart

to Stewart

Re: [Asterisk] Connect a landline to a laptop /w asterisk

said by Stewart:

If you will only be making calls, instead of actually connecting to your landline, you could get a SIP account that allows you to send your landline number as caller ID; look at Anveo and VoIP.ms.

Since PX Eliezer is no longer contributing to this forum, someone has to say it, Callcentric can do this too, though you do have to establish ownership of your phone number.

Bruce Lee
@electronicbox.net

Bruce Lee

Anon

Also looking at the little video, I see that when people call in the Obi110, there is a little default menu, anyway to delete this???

thanks all
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

1 edit

SCADAGeo to grand total

Premium Member

to grand total
said by Bruce Lee :

I want to have asterisk inside a VM on my laptop.

On my desk, I have one cat5 cable, one digital phone and one Rj-11. I know there is a PBX somewhere, but it doesn't work with IP phones. I don't think the rj-11 is connected directly to the phone company.

It was setup half a decade ago and the IT guy is for all intent and purposes not there to help me. So my big question is:

Will the obi110 work in this case?

(sorry if its a noob question, I have no idea how older PBXes work)

You can connect your regular phone, via the Obi110, to your Asterisk VM.

You'll need a minimum of 3 cat5 cables - one for your IP phone, one for your laptop with Asterisk VM, and one for the Obi110.

I'm also making the assumption that you have a DHCP server (or assigned static IP's) and a multi-port switch.

Bruce Lee
@dsl4u.ca

Bruce Lee

Anon

I can buy one cheap multi-port switch.

There is a DHCP server but I don't have access to it until at least the end of the month (in fact, I don't have access to anything until the end of the month except the three things I've mentionned). I don't even have a static IP, I just plan right now to plug the switch, plug the laptop, one p4, and leave the P4 on 24/7 so that the DHCP doesn't reassign it a new address,lol.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
N California

SCADAGeo

Premium Member

said by Bruce Lee :

I can buy one cheap multi-port switch.

There is a DHCP server but I don't have access to it until at least the end of the month (in fact, I don't have access to anything until the end of the month except the three things I've mentionned). I don't even have a static IP, I just plan right now to plug the switch, plug the laptop, one p4, and leave the P4 on 24/7 so that the DHCP doesn't reassign it a new address,lol.

DHCP leases need to be renewed periodically.

May I suggest that you consider an inexpensive wireless router with LAN ports or check with family/friends/colleagues about older wireless 802.11 b/g routers that are no longer in use.

Normally, the radio on a wireless router can be disabled (keeps the IT group happy), and most come with built in DHCP servers.

Asterisk: The Definitive Guide, 4th edition is a great resource, and it's part of O'Reilly's Open Feedback Publishing System, so there is no cost.

I would also suggest that you set up a free CallCentric IP Freedom account. SIP Broker calls, and calls to other CallCentric numbers can be made without funding the account.

Bruce Lee
@dsl4u.ca

Bruce Lee

Anon

I actually posted another thread but I failed to see your response first. lol

Thanks a bunch... It answers all my qs.:D
Expand your moderator at work
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
N California

SCADAGeo to Bruce Lee

Premium Member

to Bruce Lee

Re: [Asterisk] Connect a landline to a laptop /w asterisk

said by Bruce Lee :

I actually posted another thread but I failed to see your response first. lol

Thanks a bunch... It answers all my qs.:D

You're welcome.

Some of my replies have been... delayed, so it may not have been visible before you posted the other thread.

Bruce Lee
@dsl4u.ca

Bruce Lee

Anon

Ok, Im not clear about something: the phone line from the rj-11 is digital, that I am pretty sure, will that still work with the obi???
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by Bruce Lee :

Ok, Im not clear about something: the phone line from the rj-11 is digital, that I am pretty sure, will that still work with the obi???

Likely not.

Make/model of phone? Make/model of PBX?

Bruce Lee
@electronicbox.net

Bruce Lee

Anon

Ok Ill havve to go back to work to know for sure what make model the PBX is

For now the model of the PBX is a huge black box because for all intent and purposes the IT guy is now in the sales department and not in the least interested in IT...