share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2
reply to mbernste

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 Review

I watched about 10 minutes of it, and while I will say that to some people, his views are correct. If you are expecting things to be in the exact same place as they were in previous versions of windows, or the steps to perform a given task to be exactly the same as in previous versions of windows, you might as well not even run it.

This review (at least to me), makes that assumption on everything.

I've been using it off and on now for about 3 months. While the Start Screen (aka Metro) was quite the shock to me, I did not feel it was that hard to figure out. The underlying directory structure, as well as the underlying functions match what they do inside of Windows 7.

I've said it a few times on here in different threads, but I think its worth saying again. While we all know exactly where everything was in Windows 7, and the exact steps to get things to operate (in fact some of us can quote specific tasks without even being in front of the PC), IF you approach Windows 8 with an OPEN MIND, and embrace the new OS, it is not as bad as he is making it out to be.

I'm not saying forget everything you ever knew about Windows 7, or any previous versions you may have used before it. What I am saying is to approach it with an open mind, and for just a few seconds, forget what you know about previous versions, and see what the new OS is about. Don't open it and try to change it back to what Windows 7 (or Vista, or XP) looked like because "you liked how things worked and functioned in" that OS. If you are so happy with Windows (insert your favorite version here), then stay with that version. No one is putting a gun to your head and going "YOU WILL USE WINDOWS 8, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT". If you buy a new computer and it comes with Windows 8, and you want to run Windows XP, Format the drive, install Windows XP, and be done. Again, you don't have the FBI standing in your house with a gun to your head going "YOU JUST GOT THIS DELL WITH WINDOWS 8 ON IT...IF YOU FORMAT THE DRIVE, WE WILL KILL YOU, SO USE WINDOWS 8."

I have no idea what he was talking about when he made the reference to the Weather App just "popping up full screen on its own". Even in Windows 8, you have to CLICK on the app for it to get to full screen, it just does not do it on its own.

For me, I never ran Vista. I went from XP to Windows 7. While the "shock" of the UI made me go "Where the heck did they move ?" or "How do I find x", that only lasted for about 20 minutes. Once I sat down, and took a few deep breaths, I was at home in Windows 7. The same can be said for me with Windows 8. Yes its different, and yes it looks nothing like Windows 7 (at least from the Start screen), but once you get past that, things work the same. Everything in the Control Panel is the same as it was inside of Windows 7. Windows Explorer still works the same way, you have the same options to view hidden or system files, folders, etc.

--Brian

--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Apparently you didn't pay attention in the video, yet you claim he made an assumption on everything. When he moved his finger on the touchpad from left to right anywhere it was triggering the side action of recalling another loaded metro app. This is what was screwing up the progress, and likely the fault of some touchpad drivers in my opinion. If they could have plugged in an external mouse it would have gone far smoother, but the unwanted app switching was interrupting his work, along with trying to figure out how to close the metro app.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.