uniqs

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT

Re: 1,137 B.C. drunk driving penalties to be refunded

said by FiReSTaRT:

Looks like many of them were first-time offenders. It's pretty bad in Ontario, where, regardless of what the propaganda tells you, a single drink can get you over the new low limit. In any case at least in BC, they challenged a law that doesn't follow due process. In Ontario, we still have the street racing law where you get punished before getting your day in court.

Meanwhile the real killer in Ontario, undivided highways, never get a mention. Wonder why that is? Perhaps because it costs the province money, rather then making the province money?

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by CanadianRip:

said by FiReSTaRT:

Looks like many of them were first-time offenders. It's pretty bad in Ontario, where, regardless of what the propaganda tells you, a single drink can get you over the new low limit. In any case at least in BC, they challenged a law that doesn't follow due process. In Ontario, we still have the street racing law where you get punished before getting your day in court.

Meanwhile the real killer in Ontario, undivided highways, never get a mention. Wonder why that is? Perhaps because it costs the province money, rather then making the province money?

I used to do that but never had any accidents, even at 160Km/s.
I don't drink anymore but its time somebody challenge the Ontario laws. Even I feel its over the top...at least sometimes.

The drivers were caught during a three-week period in November 2011 just before the B.C. Supreme Court ruled parts of B.C.'s tough drunk driving rules were unconstitutional.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

1 recommendation

TLS2000

Premium Member

I'm impressed at your ability to travel 576,000km per hour.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by TLS2000:

I'm impressed at your ability to travel 576,000km per hour.

HaHa. Nice catch. I am not going to edit it.
But that was my speed when I was drunk right?

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Anyway, I agree we need to change our laws. I really don't like that people get punished without a trial. This applies to street racing and stunt driving laws mainly.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to CanadianRip

Premium Member

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Most provincial highways in Ontario with an AADT above 10,000 (the threshold for twinning) are already multi-lane or in the process of becoming such. That, combined with statistics for the last 15 or so years showing Ontario's highways as the safest in North America, doesn't lend a lot of credibility to the argument about undivided highways being a problem in the province.

While one can harp on about speeding, drunk driving or whatever, the number of fatalities and injuries that occur on our roads today pales in comparison to 30-50 years ago. While it's one thing to strive to be better, it's another to beat a dead horse over impossible perfection.