leslief
join:2013-02-02
Brewer, ME

leslief

DSL Split at outside NID with Leviton panel basic install

Click for full size
at the pole

leviton panel

Hello, Thanks so all that post here and the help you give. I'm about to wire our home/new construction for DSL and phone (we are in a rural area with unreliable cell service). The Fairpoint install includes a splitter at the NID on the pole (pic attached). I bought a Leviton panel with a 47603-TSV (pic attached). I also have a security system. The modem I have is a Westell 6100 with a wireless router.
The panel is located in the tack room on the first floor (it's a barn with living area above). The Cat5e is already run from the pole to the panel. I also have cat5e cable running to 5 other locations through the second floor living area. 2 separate cables are run for the modem and 1 phone line for the base phone in my office.
Do I follow the basic instructions for the panel by following the T568A wiring configuration for all the drops? (including the phone), or do I need to separate the phone drop (and how)?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Nice that FairPoint installed a splitter for you. Whole house splitter makes for a much neater arrangement (no inline filters) and does a better job isolating DSL from voice.

A good way to think about this is to pretend these are two separate phone lines.

Phone
Connect a pair (orn/whi) to the voice CPE terminal at the NID and run it to the Line side of the RJ31/38 disconnect used by the alarm system. Connect a pair to the phone side of the RJ31/38 and run it to the Leviton panel. At the panel cross connect it to all the phones. You want the alarm panel first so it is able to disconnect a voice call if alarm is activated.

DSL
Take another pair, (blu/whi) connect it to the NID "data" CPE terminal and run it to wherever you want to locate the DSL router. The DSL modem connects directly to the phone line, everything else goes through the filter via the alarm system.

Alarm Caution
One caution to keep in mind with this method is that if a phone is plugged into the DSL modem jack and the phone is in use the alarm system will not be able to disconnect call to place the alarm call. So you only want the DSL data circuit going to a single location where the modem is located, and only ever connect the modem to that jack.

/tom
leslief
Brewer, ME

leslief

Thanks Tom, that all makes sense. I think the leviton panel I bought is a bit overkill but I like the fact that it is prewired to separate the alarm from the phone.

..a few notes... there is only one cat5e cable coming in from the pole, and the modem and router are the same device.

So do I...

run (orn/whi) to my current panel, row 1, then use rows 2+ for phone only. My alarm system goes to the dedicated port on the same panel (switched to the on position).

(blu/whi) to the modem/router which I should locate in the leviton box. Then from modem in to switch, and then from switch out with other cables running through the house.

I did want my modem/router in the office upstairs, but that won't work if I want the drops to come from the leviton panel (the cables are already run) I can use wireless of course but need the cables for printer, smart TV and security camera.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

»www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ ··· te=10251

I think I found the data sheet for your panel.

Correct, the orn/whi pair are connected to the voice CPE in the NID so you route them to the 1st pair in your panel. Per the data sheet the first pair goes to a 8-pos jack to connect the alarm. Normally line 1 is blue pair, line 2 is orange. That is the way you should wire all the phone drops in the house even though it will not match the colors wired to the NID.

Then punch down the rest of the phone lines to the panel.

I'm confused by the rest of your post. How are the LAN drops wired, I assume they also all go the the panel. You have several choices

1) Locate the DSL/router and Ethernet switch in the Leviton cabinet. In that case need to wire a RJ-11 jack in the cabinet to the blu/whi pair and connect the router WAN interface to it and a short patch cable to the Ethernet switch.

2) Locate the DSL/router in your office and the Ethernet switch in the cabinet. Need to extend the blu/white DSL pair to your office. It sounds like you only have a single phone line and house is wired with 4-pair Category rated wiring If that is the case use an unused pair on the drop to your office to deliver DSL.

Assuming you are using 6-pos jacks for phone use blu/whi for line 1 and orn/whi for line two.

Use one of the unused pair (grn/whi) for DSL. In your office install two phone jacks one for phone (blu/whi line 1 & org/whi Line 2. The second 6-pos jack is dedicated for DSL. On the DSL jack terminate grn/whi to line 1 (blu/whi).

Connect a LAN port in the router to Ethernet jack in your office. This connects the router to the Ethernet switch in the cabinet. Connect the various Ethernet drops to the switch. Modern networking gear uses Auto-MDIX so there is no need for crossover cables.

Option 3) some combination of the above.

/tom
leslief
Brewer, ME

leslief

...actually I could run all the upstairs ports (4) directly from the modem/router in the panel, put the switch in the office, and run the office equipment from there. seems simple now.
leslief

leslief to tschmidt

to tschmidt
now I'm totally confused...

the cables are just loose cat5e, cut on both ends running from the panel to open unfinished boxes. They are not connected on either end.

at the NID do you mean orn/whi is usually Data? and blu/whi TR?

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by leslief:

at the NID do you mean orn/whi is usually Data? and blu/whi TR?

Multi-pair cable have different colored pairs. There are standards as to how to wire them.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EI ··· TIA-568A

Line 1 Blue
Line 2 Orange
Line 3 Green
Line 4 Brown

Long discussion from another thread.
»T568A wiring vs T568B, which do you use?

FairPoint terminated data as blue (Line 1) and phone line orange (Line 2). That makes sense as to the way the NID is wired but can get confusing if extended to the way you wire phone line inside the house.

/tom
leslief
Brewer, ME

leslief

Hey Tom, Just wanted to thank you for your help. I hooked everything up yesterday per your recommendations and it all works great. The modem/router is in the panel and the switch is on a port in the office upstairs. It was a bit complicated by the fact that my electrician hadn't labeled any of the cables when he ran them! ...but with the process of elimination I was able to identify and label them all.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH

tschmidt

MVM

Glad it worked out. Labeling is important and will save time later if you need to troubleshoot.

/tom