uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to HarryH3

Re: Squirrels destroying my Cedar - Help

Cause killing them is always the answer.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

1 recommendation

said by Jon:

It's effective and low cost, so yeah, it's at least AN answer. His tree is being destroyed, now, and so action is warranted.

Trap and release may be another answer, with the risks attendant of near contact with a live, very upset wild mammal. Rabies, fleas and other diseases may be present in these critters, plus it can take more time and be less effective in the short term.

What other "answers" can you think of that will work well, quickly and with little risk to the people that have to put up with them?

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

said by garys_2k:

said by Jon:

What other "answers" can you think of that will work well, quickly and with little risk to the people that have to put up with them?

Quickly? I dunno. But as I said get rid of the feeders. I can see two in the pic. If there's nothing in you're yard they want, they wont go there. Though I'm not convinced the problem with the tree is Squirrels anyway. You're not gonna get multiple Squirrels nesting in one tree and one squirrel isn't gonna strip a tree for it's nest.

We have plenty here too and I see them picking up stick and leaves from the ground rather than pulling them off of trees. It's too much work.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Jon

said by Jon:

+1

How dare these audacious squirrels come in to OUR habitat and destroy OUR trees?

There are better ways to co-exist with the "nuisance" species around us than killing them. Besides you're not likely to make much of a difference in the 1.2+ billion North American squirrel population by taking them out one at a time with a rat trap.

thestealth
Premium
join:2009-11-10
Lasalle, QC

The Cedar is not diseased, I have actually watched the rodents do this damage. Gnaw off a branch, start moving towards the nest, drop the branch. Repeat. Just with the snow, I did not realize how much the suckers dropped.

So far the only "good" solution would be to get rid of the bird feeders. I do not wish to kill them, maybe just force them to live elsewhere. Is there anything else I can do to discourage them?

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:1

I have a small-scale version of your problem with a sweet gum. I used to shoot them, but then a pair of red-shouldered hawks moved in across the street. Over three years they fledged 7 young, and they exterminated most of the squirrels and chipmunks. They are just now coming back after the departure of the hawks. We don't have trouble with ash trees - they are almost all gone, and the city has several crews working full-time to remove what's left.

Are there other trees suitable for squirrels besides the ash? Are you treating it? If both answers are no, then get rid of the ash.