share rss forum feed

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to MaynardKrebs

Re: You do not realize how old a movie is...

said by MaynardKrebs:

Ah yes, a great thespian.

I believe that he stands out in his field.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to sm5w2

said by sm5w2:

> Crap! I feel even older! I remember watching the ORIGINAL
> Charlie's Angels back in the Seventies!

You and me both.

I had the Revel model of their van.

Did you have the iconic poster of Farrah Fawcett?
--

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by lugnut :

Somehow I think the accomplishments of a generation who can't spell without spellcheck, add without a calculator or drive crosstown without a GPS pale in comparison

Preach it, my aged brother!

I was once almost tempted to throw a friend's GPS out of the window of his own truck! Bloody thing was SO annoying, and I already knew where to go! I don't need a bloody road nanny!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

g121
MrGee

join:2004-05-28
Toronto
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

hi DKS ..

nope .. but i did have this one .. approximately same vintage : )) .. cheers

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by lugnut :

Somehow I think the accomplishments of a generation who can't spell without spellcheck, add without a calculator or drive crosstown without a GPS pale in comparison

I still have my pocket protectors and slide rules.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by sm5w2:

> Crap! I feel even older! I remember watching the ORIGINAL
> Charlie's Angels back in the Seventies!

You and me both.

I had the Revel model of their van.

This is all I had back in my era, 1 Million Years B.C.
My favourite pickup line back then was, "Woman, want to come my cave and see my stone stylus?"

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

said by DKS:

said by lugnut :

I was once almost tempted to throw a friend's GPS out of the window of his own truck! Bloody thing was SO annoying, and I already knew where to go! I don't need a bloody road nanny!

And remember... Grandpa's generation INVENTED Atomic Energy, Solid State Lasers, Integrated Circuits, Digital Circuits, Cellular Networks and the Internet and DISCOVERED DNA!!! And we did it all with slide rules and pencils!!!

I mean really, what has the current generation truly created? Facebook and Twitter??? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Granpaws ROOL!!! Kidz DROOL!!!

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

Just remember, "Grandpa's Generation" made it to the moon and back with less computing power than a Casio wristwatch

Holy hell do you think we are teenagers? You mean our parents' generation made it to the Moon and back, not grandparents.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

And remember... Grandpa's generation INVENTED Atomic Energy, Solid State Lasers, Integrated Circuits, Digital Circuits, Cellular Networks and the Internet and DISCOVERED DNA!!! And we did it all with slide rules and pencils!!!

Not to mention the foundation of all, TRANSISTORS (which came before IC's).
--

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada

You don't have to be ancient to have watched Star Trek the original series over the airwaves, in 1982 I used to watch it on KHOU t.v. station down in Texas.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

Um, most of that stuff was discovered by people of the same generation who post here. For many others, it was their father's.

Most of those things also weren't "invented" - they were discovered. Atomic energy always existed since the dawn of time. It just took some smart people to figure out how it worked.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

said by lugnut :

Just remember, "Grandpa's Generation" made it to the moon and back with less computing power than a Casio wristwatch

Holy hell do you think we are teenagers? You mean our parents' generation made it to the Moon and back, not grandparents.

What I am implying is that the generation who made these technologies possible are currently grandparents, great grandparents or currently taking a dirt nap.

"Grandpaw" is used in the generic sense.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

True, but the people who refined and/or continue to refine them and make them even better may only be parents or not even parents at all yet.

lugnut

@communications.com

First of all, if you want to be a nitpicker about it, atomic energy was technically "discovered" by Albert Einstein back in the 1920's or perhaps you could even track it back to Madame Curie or Charles Rutherford in the 19th century.

The technology to harness it for useful purposes, however, did not come to pass until the latter half of the twentieth century and that in fact was an act of invention.

Secondly, one item is not "most of that stuff" as you so glibly put it.

And finally, most of the innovations we see coming from today's generations are largely trivial and not nearly as groundbreaking as the work of their forefathers. Google may be a nifty information processing tool, but next to some of the achievements I've mentioned, it is nothing more than evolutionary development and not the paradigm shattering creations which came out of WWII and the 4 decades which followed.

Today's discoveries are evolutionary, not revolutionary...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by lugnut :

First of all, if you want to be a nitpicker about it, atomic energy was technically "discovered" by Albert Einstein back in the 1920's or perhaps you could even track it back to Madame Curie or Charles Rutherford in the 19th century.

Atomic reactions on this planet are about 2 billion years old.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

You don't have to be ancient to have watched Star Trek the original series over the airwaves, in 1982 I used to watch it on KHOU t.v. station down in Texas.

Since the show went off the air in 1969, your watching it on TV in 1982 is no more meaningful than somebody watching it on TV in 2012...

I can only go as far back as Star Trek: The Next Generation, which I watched live on TV for the full original run. And it wasn't my parents' generation who landed a man on the moon, it was my grandparents. For my parents generation to have landed a man on the moon, assuming that holding a position of note at NASA in 1969would have required somebody of age 30, they would have had to have been born in the 1930s. If they were to have been there from the start of the manned space program, they'd have to have been born in the 1920s.

Neither of my parents were born in the 20s or 30s.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

Secondly, one item is not "most of that stuff" as you so glibly put it.

... yet you went out of your way to say this particular one was "invented" while the others were discovered. As DKS rightfully pointed out, atomic reactions have existed for billions of years, and are the foundation blocks to the creation of this universe. We as human beings merely came to a point where we figured out how they work, and have continued to figure out even more about how those reactions work even today (Higgs boson, anyone?), despite your claims that people today have contributed nothing to science.

said by lugnut :

And finally, most of the innovations we see coming from today's generations are largely trivial and not nearly as groundbreaking as the work of their forefathers. Google may be a nifty information processing tool, but next to some of the achievements I've mentioned, it is nothing more than evolutionary development and not the paradigm shattering creations which came out of WWII and the 4 decades which followed.

Aside from the fact that the "invention" of Google has allowed anyone anywhere to have access to instant knowledge on any topic and as a result is not something I would so "gibly" dismiss as trivial, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the modern advances made by today's generation, particularly in the fields of health care.

When you're surviving cancer or any other at-one-time-terminal illness rather than discussing funeral arrangements with your wife and children and preparing yourself to be dead in the ground, be sure to tell the young researches at the university who discovered new innovations in treatment that their contribution to science and technology is "trivial" compared to what people before them did.

WhyNoUpload

join:2013-01-15
reply to donoreo

Damn... How old are you guys? Am I the only one in my early 20s here?

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to Gone

Technically, any computer related discovery or invention isn't anything truly new. It's just the extended use of existing tools which have been developed over many decades.

What Nikola Tesla has accomplished with electricity however was truly new and revolutionary. Multi-phase motors, AC power, fluorescent lighting, radio and wireless remote control, AC generator...

Try to find a single inventor who's contributions came anywhere close to Tesla's earth changing inventions.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

If you're going to use that argument, all discoveries are just extending the use of something already available. AC power always existed. Nuclear reactions always existed. Radio-frequency radiation always existed. It merely took someone to figure out how they work and harness their potential for practical purposes.

So, knowing this, your claim either isn't valid, or it's a blanket statement that applies to everyone at all points in history for all discoveries. Take your pick.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to WhyNoUpload

said by WhyNoUpload:

Shut up and learn, sonny!

You have to admit, this discussion makes you stop and think for a second, isn't it?
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

said by WhyNoUpload:

I have kids older than you.
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by DKS:

said by WhyNoUpload:

Tell us again what poker nights at Methuselah's place were like!

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to WhyNoUpload

said by WhyNoUpload:

I joined DSLR when I was 17, you could do the math. We should make an age poll, should be fun

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to donoreo

I joined DSLR when I was 16, but I've had my account a wee bit longer than you
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by DKS:

said by WhyNoUpload:

I wasn't gonna be that bad, I was gonna say, So, you and Moses were drinking buddies eh? . And they came up with the 10 commandments on a stone napkin down at Glug's bar .

But all kidding aside...I'm in my 30s now...I've "sort of" grown up with DSLR...joining way back in my early 20s...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by DKS:

said by WhyNoUpload:

He was a drag. King David, OTOH, was quite the partier.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

I wasn't gonna be that bad, I was gonna say, So, you and Moses were drinking buddies eh? . And they came up with the 10 commandments on a stone napkin down at Glug's bar .

Moses was a straight up guy. And it was in the Sinai Shwarma House that we got The Word. Back room. Lots of smoke. But what happened on Sinai stays on Sinai. Mind you, it was one hell of a golden calf we found in the morning.
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

He was a drag. King David, OTOH, was quite the partier.

and King Solomon wanted to divide everything up?

MaynardKrebs
Premium

My buddy, Adam, really loved ribs.