linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

You are lucky

Where I live offers 10/.500 to 10/4 with digital phone for $70 to $150 depending upon whether one chooses for phone or cable. Neither is very good.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Re: You are lucky

I know a coworker who only has dial-up available as a wired ISP service, yet AT&T has underground fiber-optic cables within 100 meters of an exterior wall of his house. He uses Millenicom's resale of Verizon Wireless service, but has only 20GB per month available. No streaming music or video, very little video use from things like YouTube, and having to deal with environmental affected service disruptions.

It seems many residents of the USA will be stuck with no wired service, or in your case bad wired service, until we get some kind of crisis that causes the politicians to act to create better service choices.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

As long as corporations have sock puppets in places of authority nothing will change. It especially will not change as long as they live in a protected environment.

There are communities in America with tiny populations that have no television, no cable, and will soon have no phone. The travesty is this little city is 20 miles from a state capital served by AT&T. It was not big enough to bother with - a runt pup to be starved to death - and they didn't. The senior at home will have no phone. .

AT&T is determined to drop POTS and everything else even remotely inconvenient. Wanna try a VoIP phone get VioPo. It works. Friend in Dallas refuses to pay for half-a** expensive telco or cable phone, Vonage, MagicJack. . He's had this for almost 4 years now and loves it. It takes a minimum on 1MB uplink before it will work properly. Better to pay $9 for a phone that is half-a** like mine than $40 like I do know.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Comcast needs to up their 105 to 150 now
also up that upload
4 upstreams should be able to do 30-40 mb/s w/o issue

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

It ain't gonna happen in rural America. You will only find it in heavily populated cities and perhaps in larger metro areas where you find schools with 20-40K students Maybe