spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

ATT DSL keeps dropping connection

What would cause my ATT DSL Internet to randomly drop connection?
This random connection drop occurs sometimes once a day or at least several times a week!
I/we use our Internet every day and for many hours every day.
How can I go about finding the culprit, or at least understand the problem?
Please keep any explanation simple for I am a NON expert average consumer/user.

I have ATT DSL PRO with Speed Stream Modem and Asus RT-N66U Router.
Everything is set correctly AFAIK and generally works well MOST of the time, with the exception of "out of the blue" unexpected random dropped connections!
This then requires a re-start of Modem and Router by turning off each (button(s) in rear,
then turning back on Modem first, followed by the Router after the DSL solid green light appears on front of Modem, in order to complete the "Ethernet" connection light on the front of Modem. Finally after the "Internet" and "Activity" light starts blinking and syncing, I get all 4 steady green lights on the Modem and Router shows normal lights, I am ready to go again!

I have updated the Firmware of the Asus Router to the latest revision recently, and can
NOT find anything amiss in the Router`s software Interface or settings. I have not looked at or changed anything in the Modem`s settings, software or Interface since I first received it from ATT many (?) years ago.

Thanks for any insight into this issue.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

Which Speedstream modem version?

Your description indicates that the modem is making the PPPoE connection, correct? Have you determined if drops are due an interruption of DSL sync or simply loss of the PPPoE connection?

Can you access your modem stats?

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

1 edit

mattrixx

Hi and thanks for your reply

Modem is SpeedStream 5100

On Modem`s "Internet Connection Configuration" page it says: PPP on the Modem (Public IP for LAN). Also says Protocol PPPoE
On "PPP Location" page it says: PPP is on the modem.
Under "Home Network Configuration" it says: DHCP Lease 0 Days, 0Hours, 10 Minutes.

How do I determine "if drops are due an interruption of DSL sync or simply loss of the PPOE connection"?

Edit: corrections

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
With the power LED, there are five LEDs, right? Then you have a 5100b and checking the modem stats: »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Where are the Line Stats in a 5100b or 4100? would give some info about the drop causes.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Click for full size
Is this "normal" for PPP on the Speedstream 5100B Modem, and PPPoE Protocol?

Connection is UP, with 4 solid Green lights (Activity light blinking)

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Can you post the contents of the log page?

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

modem.txt
30,405 bytes
Thanks

Here you go, attached as a .txt file.
I hope this will help determine what the problem might be, cause I have NO idea how to interpret this modem log.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The log looks okay.......
I would like to have a look at the dsl line stats, click the statistics button and paste the

Modulation
Max Allowed Speed
Signal to Noise margin
Line Attenuation
CRC Errors

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Click for full size
Nothing here that I can report?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Ohhhh that looks bad...
Have you rebooted the modem?
Have you tried connecting the modem at the nid when it's like this?

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

By rebooting the modem do you mean turning off and then back on (button in back)?
If so yes, when I have dropped connection.
No I have NOT "connected the modem at the nid when it`s like this?".
If this is a "bad" indicator, how is it I am still connected online?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by mattrixx:

By rebooting the modem do you mean turning off and then back on (button in back)?

Just turning the modem off then on is a reboot
said by mattrixx:

If this is a "bad" indicator, how is it I am still connected online?

The page image makes me think there is no internet connection. And I still would too see the dsl stats before offering any suggestions
I don't have access to the modem so I can only speculate about what is occuring/

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Click for full size
Thanks, but I can assure you I DO have an Internet Connection (at this time), but one last thing to look at might be this screenshot of a portion of the modem`s "Technician Readout".

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by mattrixx:

Thanks, but I can assure you I DO have an Internet Connection (at this time)

Ok, The log indicates that the modem or router is slow to acquire the public ip address when the connection goes down. I suggest that you try changing a setting on the modems connection configuration page.
At the bottom of the page select

No, use private IP address

And save the change this should reduce the amount of time the internet is down

I won't tell you that replacing the modem will stop the internet connection drops.
Something is not right with the modem you should consider replacing it.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

OK, thanks again wayjac.

After saving the "No, use private IP address" setting, wouldn't I necessarily have to provide
a private IP address?

Also, so as I understand it, this "change" is just going to reduce the time I`m back up online automatically, when and if the connection drops, without actually physically rebooting the modem (and Router) ?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
If you are still connected to the internet without the modem ever showing no DSL sync stats, I'd say your modem is in the process of dying. ... but it doesn't look as though sync losses are dropping your connection.

The DHCP server at times isn't updating the modem and the Smarttimeout is invoked dropping the connection.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
said by mattrixx:

After saving the "No, use private IP address" setting, wouldn't I necessarily have to provide
a private IP address?

No, you will not need to provide a private IP address
The modems dhcp server will do this automatically
said by mattrixx:

Also, so as I understand it, this "change" is just going to reduce the time I`m back up online automatically, when and if the connection drops, without actually physically rebooting the modem (and Router) ?

I'm thinking this change will allow the modem to fully
reestablish it's internet connection without a reboot of the modem
or router.

I think this will help because the log indicates the public ip address is not renewing as quick as it should.
Here's some example messages:
Last DHCP Server message repeated 206 times.
Last DHCP Server message repeated 2860 times.
|Last DHCP Server message repeated 12 times.
|Last DHCP Server message repeated 567 times.

The dsl sync speeds are normal
The dsl is set to fastpath

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

2 edits

d_l to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
I don't know if this will help your problem, but your modem's firmware is way, way out of date: »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Where can I get the 1.0.0.53 firmware update for the 5100b? The problem is that FAQ doesn't have a working link to the newest firmware.

Edit: This FAQ has a link to the upgrade ZIP file: »SBC DSL FAQ »What is the latest firmware update for my 5100B?

Cut-n-paste the complete ZIP and help links into a new tab or window in your browser to access them.

[code=http://web.archive.org/web/20100906042502/http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/upg/005-E142-A2B-SBC53-5100B.zip]
[/code]

Flash help file: [code=http://web.archive.org/web/20100906042502/http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/subscriber_networks/upg-5100b.shtml]
[/code]

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

I don't think updating the firmware is something that should be attempted with a "dying" modem it could kill it, left as it is it's working.

I can provide a copy of the firmware

There is a chance the router is the cause of the delayed exchange problem
I say this because the modem is attempting to allocate the ip address but the router won't accept it.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

1.0.0.36 firmware had problems with the DSL stats and DHCP.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The 5100b I have has 1.0.0.36 and no problems with dsl stats or dhcp

It's late I'm sleepy......I'm gone

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
If the OP could get the modem to be regularly showing the DSL stats, then there shouldn't be any problem with the upgrade.

I think letting the router make the PPPoE connection might solve the drop problem, but then the modem stats aren't readily accessible unless alternative methods are used: »SBC DSL FAQ »How do I access the modem GUI thru a router - advanced methods?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to mattrixx

to mattrixx
I seem to be getting this too but I have 5100 4 led that one has no GUI right??

IS there away to get att to give me a new one for free? or should I use my old wirespeed? I also have a 5 led 5100 that I will try.

I may want a IPV6 one soon.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to wayjac

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

I don't think updating the firmware is something that should be attempted with a "dying" modem it could kill it, left as it is it's working

It`s been so long since I've dealt with a modem (2004 from SBC Yahoo), Just how would I go about getting a replacement from ATT?
I would rather replace the modem than "flash" newer firmware!

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
You would have to buy a replacement DSL (not one of the ADSL2+ models) modem from AT&T's online store or buy a used AT&T modem from eBay or Goodwill.

Try not to spend a a large amount for a replacement just in case AT&T forces you to switch to ADSL2+ or UVerse which would obsolete any DSL modem you have.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Thanks d_l and wayjac for all your help in this matter

One last question: Will I be able to use my Asus RT-N66U (expensive nice) Router if I should make the switch to UVerse,
which sounds like what ATT wants legacy DSL users to do?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
said by mattrixx:

It`s been so long since I've dealt with a modem (2004 from SBC Yahoo), Just how would I go about getting a replacement from ATT?
I would rather replace the modem than "flash" newer firmware!

You can purchase a brand new dsl modem with a warranty at any online or brick & mortar retailer for less money than att wants
wayjac

wayjac to mattrixx

MVM

to mattrixx
said by mattrixx:

Will I be able to use my Asus RT-N66U (expensive nice) Router if I should make the switch to UVerse

With some simple configuration changes the asus can be used with a uverse internet connection

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to wayjac

MVM

to wayjac
Some of those non-AT&T modems at brick and mortar stores will work with AT&T DSL, but their DSL stats are crazy wrong. So if your DSL line sync acts up and you check your stats, you can't really believe the numbers.

The Actiontec DSL modem comes to mind if I recall correctly.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to wayjac

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

said by mattrixx:

Will I be able to use my Asus RT-N66U (expensive nice) Router if I should make the switch to UVerse

With some simple configuration changes the asus can be used with a uverse internet connection

OK, exactly what "simple configuration changes" do I need to make to my Asus Router, to include it (and all it`s nice features) with a U-Verse Connection, with it`s required proprietary "Gateway"?