It's late I'm sleepy......I'm gone

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to mattrixx

If the OP could get the modem to be regularly showing the DSL stats, then there shouldn't be any problem with the upgrade.

I think letting the router make the PPPoE connection might solve the drop problem, but then the modem stats aren't readily accessible unless alternative methods are used: »SBC DSL FAQ »How do I access the modem GUI thru a router - advanced methods?
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to mattrixx

I seem to be getting this too but I have 5100 4 led that one has no GUI right??

IS there away to get att to give me a new one for free? or should I use my old wirespeed? I also have a 5 led 5100 that I will try.

I may want a IPV6 one soon.

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL
reply to wayjac

said by wayjac:

I don't think updating the firmware is something that should be attempted with a "dying" modem it could kill it, left as it is it's working

It`s been so long since I've dealt with a modem (2004 from SBC Yahoo), Just how would I go about getting a replacement from ATT?
I would rather replace the modem than "flash" newer firmware!

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
reply to mattrixx

You would have to buy a replacement DSL (not one of the ADSL2+ models) modem from AT&T's online store or buy a used AT&T modem from eBay or Goodwill.

Try not to spend a a large amount for a replacement just in case AT&T forces you to switch to ADSL2+ or UVerse which would obsolete any DSL modem you have.
--

mattrixx

Orland Park, IL

Thanks d_l and wayjac for all your help in this matter

One last question: Will I be able to use my Asus RT-N66U (expensive nice) Router if I should make the switch to UVerse,
which sounds like what ATT wants legacy DSL users to do?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to mattrixx

said by mattrixx:

It`s been so long since I've dealt with a modem (2004 from SBC Yahoo), Just how would I go about getting a replacement from ATT?
I would rather replace the modem than "flash" newer firmware!

You can purchase a brand new dsl modem with a warranty at any online or brick & mortar retailer for less money than att wants

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to mattrixx

said by mattrixx:

Will I be able to use my Asus RT-N66U (expensive nice) Router if I should make the switch to UVerse

With some simple configuration changes the asus can be used with a uverse internet connection

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
reply to wayjac

Some of those non-AT&T modems at brick and mortar stores will work with AT&T DSL, but their DSL stats are crazy wrong. So if your DSL line sync acts up and you check your stats, you can't really believe the numbers.

The Actiontec DSL modem comes to mind if I recall correctly.
--

mattrixx

Orland Park, IL
reply to wayjac

said by wayjac:

said by mattrixx:

Will I be able to use my Asus RT-N66U (expensive nice) Router if I should make the switch to UVerse

With some simple configuration changes the asus can be used with a uverse internet connection

OK, exactly what "simple configuration changes" do I need to make to my Asus Router, to include it (and all it`s nice features) with a U-Verse Connection, with it`s required proprietary "Gateway"?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by mattrixx:

OK, exactly what "simple configuration changes" do I need to make to my Asus Router, to include it (and all it`s nice features) with a U-Verse Connection, with it`s required proprietary "Gateway"?

I can't be "exact" without knowing what the model number of the uverse router/modem that will be used.

Put simply:
The uverse modem will have a option that will nullify nat, that can be used for the asus router and all it`s nice features.

mattrixx

Orland Park, IL

OK thanks again. I guess I`ll cross that bridge when I get there.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Have you tried any of the suggestions for the current issue?

mattrixx

Orland Park, IL

said by wayjac:

Have you tried any of the suggestions for the current issue?

said by wayjac:

I suggest that you try changing a setting on the modems connection configuration page.
At the bottom of the page select

No, use private IP address

And save the change this should reduce the amount of time the internet is down

I have checked this setting (and saved) on the bottom of my Connection Configuration page.
I have NOT tried to connect the modem at the "nid" (This is the grey box the phone line enters the house on the outside?)

I haven't decided yet whether or not to "flash" the latest firmware. The connection has been good enough so far to risk
"killing the modem" for a *possible* fix. I have looked online at E-Bay and Craig`s List and see there are cheap (under $20) exact replacements available. OR should I look for a newer model? If so which one?

I did find out thanks to you guys help that something is wrong with the modem.
However after checking around the forums, I can NOT be sure the modem is indeed causing my connection dropping,
as other users with even U-Verse, and / or more current modems sometimes have this same issue.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by mattrixx:

I have NOT tried to connect the modem at the "nid" (This is the grey box the phone line enters the house on the outside?)

Connecting the modem at the "nid" is pointless when the modem is not displaying the dsl line stats.
The grey box the phone line enters the house on the outside is the nid
Here's a link to images of common nid for your reference.
said by mattrixx:

I haven't decided yet whether or not to "flash" the latest firmware. The connection has been good enough so far to risk "killing the modem" for a *possible* fix.

I think the software update would be a attempt to get the modem to display the dsl line stats like it should.
I doubt the software update would correct the main issue.
At best the software update would make the modem display the dsl line stats.
said by mattrixx:

I have looked online at E-Bay and Craig`s List and see there are cheap (under $20) exact replacements available. OR should I look for a newer model? If so which one?

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money
If you check back here about what you pick out I can advise
DSL modems that work with att dsl are easy to find but again check back here to be sure
said by mattrixx:

I can NOT be sure the modem is indeed causing my connection dropping

This comment is so very true.
If it's dsl line conditions that are the cause little to nothing you do will improve the issue