share rss forum feed

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to thestealth

Re: Squirrels destroying my Cedar - Help

that tree is diseased, the squirrels may be using some of it but they did not do all that.

if you do kill the squirrels, skin/batter/fry them. they are wonderful, especially the red ones. greys have less meat, but still tastey.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

Some good info already given - as a rule, squirrels do in fact come to a place that has some attraction for them - food (esp bird feeders), water, whatever. If there IS something attracting them, then killing them will not do much long term good as other squirrels will take their place. No issue with killing squirrels as they are basically rats and do as much (or more) damage as rats. A good pellet gun will kill a squirrel easily but will the neighbors take kindly to you shooting 'those cute things'?

I agree, it appears that the amount of debris beneath the tree looks to be more than squirrel damage. Looks more like a hail storm hit the tree.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by boaterbob:

A good pellet gun will kill a squirrel easily but will the neighbors take kindly to you shooting 'those cute things'?

Then make some squirrel gravy and give it to them as a peace offering. But one squirrel doesn't make a big meal, the more the merrier.