how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kyle444

@rcn.com

1 edit

[Other] Unfair pricing for old customers. Allentown, PA

I currently have RCN 25 Mbps offering as well as "Signature digital cable". This package, is my second year with RCN, is costing me $112 a month before taxes.

The same package is currently offered on their site for substantially less:

"79.99 per month package price is a promotional rate and valid for 12 months from installation date; thereafter, months 13-24 is $87.99; months 25-36 is $95.99."

So, even in their third year, new customers would be paying $16 dollars less a month than I do in my second year.

How is this fair to the customer? Has anybody else noticed this when comparing their bill to the current rates? If so, is there any chance I will be able to get the new rates by contacting customer support?

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

Re: [Other] Unfair pricing for old customers.

Do as most of the people on this board do yearly..... Call and talk to their retentions department (Same department when calling and going to the cancelation option on their phone menu when calling). They are most likely the ones to help. Admittedly, they've been pretty tough in the last few years, but don't give up. Call two or three times a week. You'll eventually get someone who'll help.
Expand your moderator at work

Kyle444

@rcn.com
reply to shadyman777

Re: [Other] Unfair pricing for old customers.

I just called and tried to explain how I thought it was unfair, but was unable to get my rates lowered so I will be canceling my account and returning in 90 days to receive the lower rates.

So much for customer service

Kyle444

@rcn.com
So, another update.

I called in yesterday and put in the cancel request on my account (9 days from now my service stops).

Today, an account manager, or account specialst, or something of that nature called me and left a voicemail, asking that I call them back.

I was excited at this point, hoping maybe they would offer to lower my bill. However, I accidentally erased the message, now I have no idea who to contact! I spoke with a couple people at RCN (customer service as well as live chat) and nobody is showing any record of this. I think I may have just missed my opportunity at a lower bill!

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA
said by Kyle444 :

So, another update.

I called in yesterday and put in the cancel request on my account (9 days from now my service stops).

Today, an account manager, or account specialst, or something of that nature called me and left a voicemail, asking that I call them back.

I was excited at this point, hoping maybe they would offer to lower my bill. However, I accidentally erased the message, now I have no idea who to contact! I spoke with a couple people at RCN (customer service as well as live chat) and nobody is showing any record of this. I think I may have just missed my opportunity at a lower bill!

It was probably someone from your local office, try giving them a call.

FedUp

@rcn.com
reply to Kyle444

Re: [Other] Unfair pricing for old customers. Allentown, PA

I just got this month's bill and it jumped $20.

I gave RCN a call and they just said, you've got the best price we can do. If you want you can drop features to lower your bill, but all discounts have expired and we can't do anything more.

Frustrating.
Expand your moderator at work

jsolo1
Premium
join:2001-07-01
reply to Kyle444

Re: [Other] Unfair pricing for old customers. Allentown, PA

They don't care if it's fair or not. There are certain words you need to use to get their attention. Words such as cancel, transfer service to comcast/att/cox/whoever else is in your area usually gets the job done.
--
Insanity is living in a state of illusion.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to Kyle444
Every company does this. New customers will always be given better offers than existing ones.

Is it fair? No. But it's common industry practice.

Dawk2013

join:2013-02-07
Easton, PA
said by Os:

Every company does this. New customers will always be given better offers than existing ones.

Is it fair? No. But it's common industry practice.

No it isn't. This is why companies offer "loyalty" discounts.