Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Freon cooling

Just thought I'd throw this up here, since this forum gets so little traffic.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Damn, that's some dedication for setting up something so massive. I think I'll stick with watercooling as my most extreme cooling option .

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I remember way back when, Asetek had the Vapochill which was a compact version of this kind of setup. And then there was a competitor (who I forgot their name) but then brought out something called the Prometeia... I always thought these kinds of coolers were amazing, and even entertained several ideas, including using one to replace the 'radiator' portion of a typical liquid cooling loop, in order to cool more than just the CPU. Does Asetek or anyone for that matter still make buyable kits like those?

I know that LN2 and Liquid helium are pretty much requisite for world record runs, but at least these setups usually don't have to be refilled or anything.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

I saw them on sale a long time ago. They were on LGA 775 socket.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Honestly, I'm surprised that neither company has saw fit to make some for at least the current (and last couple) generations of sockets.

775...? really? funny, I remember it stopping way before that It must have been during the many refreshes or something.

But yea, my idea with one in conjunction with a liquid cooling setup was rather simple - use the evap head in lieu of a radiator to remove heat; this way, you could cool way more than just the CPU with it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by C0deZer0:

Honestly, I'm surprised that neither company has saw fit to make some for at least the current (and last couple) generations of sockets.

Possessing and handling Freon requires an HVAC technician license in many jurisdictions (release of Freon contributes to ozone depletion in the atmosphere). That makes it not really a hobbyist technology any more.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

... Even though it's in a sealed loop? that's a new one on me.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by C0deZer0:

Yes. Refrigerants are dangerous chemicals. They are an environmental hazard and can be deadly. They can also be volatile.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Welp thats awesome! Time to add another to the crazy cooling stuff I want to do before I die.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

It maybe classed as a sealed loop, but like cars for instance, you can not build one and have it registered without engineering approval. I could understand that something like this would need a technician to put it together and also an engineer may need to sign off on it due to the chem rating for some gases these days. So building it yourself and saying it is sealed is not enough, there would also be solder and or bronze specs that need to be included due to leakage of the gas.

Try putting up a gas hot water system up at home and then ask the insurance company if they would insure, I bet 99% would say no, a gas fitter needs to sign to off on fitment.

No different.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by norwegian:

Try putting up a gas hot water system up at home and then ask the insurance company if they would insure, I bet 99% would say no, a gas fitter needs to sign to off on fitment.

No different.

The gas company here won't even supply gas if it is not installed and tested by a licensed technician. And they have to inspect it. Same with hydro.

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

The other big problem with this type of cooling is condensation. If you don't have everything that handles the cooled freon completely covered you're only 1 drop away from a blow up. Just look at the condensation that comes from a home A/C unit (especially in high humidity areas) and you'll get the picture

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Beezel to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by C0deZer0:

Possessing and handling Freon requires an HVAC technician license in many jurisdictions (release of Freon contributes to ozone depletion in the atmosphere). That makes it not really a hobbyist technology any more.

R134a doesn't require it yet at least in the US..

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Beezel:

said by DKS:

said by C0deZer0:

R134a doesn't require it yet at least in the US..

In this province it is, including touching an automotive A/C system.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Yep, general public are not allowed to play with rated utilities.
Even your own soldered/bronzed copper plumbing lines in a new house has to pass inspection. Let alone a gas.

Creating something new with a gas as a coolant would require an engineering certificate, not a technician. Little different for standard products and fitting them, but design anything new and an engineering certificate would be required.

I think this at home without lodging the cert at the insurance office would help void any issues if it all went up and the fire unit found house was guttered by Freon.

-----------

Don't get me wrong, love seeing anything posted new and they certainly look the part, thanks for the topic. I'm gathering they were put together by techs though; and would love to see the differences in loads/timing/temps etc and the logs created when testing it all out. Youtube to the rescue.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Just go with one of these:

Cooler Express 2013 Design Super Evaporator CPU / GPU Cooling Unit w/ Upgraded Socket Kit - All Sockets

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Now that looks like an off the shelf solution to the hot summers.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
OP, where's the computer ????

Dakine
A Happy Camper
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
Honolulu, HI

Dakine to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I would be impressed if a view of the motherboard was available.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to C0deZer0

to C0deZer0
Air conditioner and dehumidifier chiller mods are more common then you realize, focusing the power to drop a small room 10f down to the surface area of a CPU can get you temps that are extremely cold, like -20f or more below zero under full load and a high OC.

The problems are condensation/frost build up, power consumption and noise.

»www.xtremesystems.org/fo ··· -ac-unit
»forums.extremeoverclocki ··· 464.html

But if you want to play around with sub ambient cooling on the cheap, build a massively oversized bong cooler into you liquid cooling setup, though it has the problems of adding allot of moisture to wherever it is, noise and the fact that you have to keep adding water to it else it will dry out on you, since it's not a closed loop.