spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

loud fan catalyst 2950 24 port

Guys I just powered up some catalyst 2950 switches and these things are loud almost as if a fan was going bad. So I would like to ask can these fans be replaced with quieter ones or do you have to go back to the oem ones?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Yes. And I have one who's fan doesn't work -- so in some environments "it's optional" (yes, the status led will not be green anymore, but no one is ever looking at it.)

** Don't read this as an indicator that you can, or should, remove the fans in various equipment. The 2950 doesn't complain about a failed fan, and will run with out one. Other devices may (will) bitch about it every 30s. **

watts3000

Cramer I wonder if you can cool this by putting a heat sink on the chip? So with that said has anyone here before ever tired putting a heat sink on a noisy switch.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

I've run this one for 2 years (or more) without a working fan. It gets hot, but it's still working. I don't remember, but I think there's heatsinks in there already.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to watts3000

I'd have to crack open one of my 2950s to confirm... and I'm not sure if the fan is 2prong or 3prong. Also be aware
you want to know what polarity? the prongs are. I think there's been one or two horror stories here of people
putting their own fans on gear and zapping something, though not necessarily on 2950s.

My 00000010bits

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to watts3000

IIRC the 2950 doesnt have any heat sinks. The lowest model I recall seeing them in is the 3560.

But if you wanted to try running it without a fan, the best thing you could probably do would be to stand it on its side so that hot air can rise up and out through the vents at the top while drawing cooler air in from the bottom. At least then you have a small amount of convection cooling going on.

watts3000

1 edit

After listening to each one I think one has a fan going bad the others are loud but not like this one. Also I think I'm going to put some Dynamat sound dampening material in the cases I've used this stuff in several computer cases over the years. Also I will start looking for a fan replacement I don't know if I will look for an oem one or if I will try to find one with a good noise rating basically a lower rpm speed. Also I did not use the corrent mouning brackets for the 2950 the seller did not send any so I had to use some that were desingned for a router I wonder if that can cause rattling and vibrations.

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020···i=507846

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to watts3000

I have a 2950 in my den that I disconnected the fan from about 2 years ago. So far so go. I do keep a backup of the switch in case it fails so I can restore that config to another one.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

watts3000

Also for all of you that's running these without the fan do you have the switch cover removed or do you have it in a rack I ask because all of my lab gear is in a rack so i would need the cover to stay on?

watts3000

I found this link I might do this I have at least 3 120mm fans that I'm not using right now

»www.instructables.com/id/Quieten···-switch/

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to watts3000

I've tried it both ways with the cover partially removed and completely on and it didn't seem to make a difference. I would note that the 2950 is on a shelf by it's self with nothing directly above or below it that would create additional heat.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

watts3000

Thanks for the info looks like I need to pick one of the below options

1. unplug fans
2. install heat sink
3. cut hole in center and mount 120mm

Expand your moderator at work