spc
Search similar:

uniqs

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

DVD stand alone player Philips DVP3560/F7

I have a DVD player (named in subject) that will play a movie for about 10-20 minutes then shut off for no apparent reason. It has also given a fuzzy picture as well after some minutes of play.

I thought it might help to upgrade firmware which I did. I do notice when the machine is turning on there is a message stating checksum fail.

Can anyone guess at what might cause this to occur? My thoughts are a bad HDMI port on the dvd and/or a hardware issue that is causing the random shutoffs.

TIA.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Could it be overheating?

How long have you had the player? Has it always done this? Is it still under warranty?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to planet

Premium Member

to planet
Shutting down on it's own would indicate some form of hardware issue. Most likely component in these cheap DVD players is the power supply.

The checksum error would indicate a firmware or mainboard issue.

In any case, these units are not cost effective to repair. Even the manufacturer simply replaces them.

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

1 edit

planet

How long have you had the player?

Reply: Not mine. Companies where my wife works. When they called the IT guy, his reply was you guys just got that DVD player and hasn't acted since. I think they got the player last summer though.

Has it always done this?

Reply: Been acting up since roughly 9/2012

Is it still under warranty?

Reply: Dunno??

Could it be overheating?

Reply: Had similar thoughts

Shutting down on it's own would indicate some form of hardware issue. Most likely component in these cheap DVD players is the power supply.

Reply: not worth repairing I know

The checksum error would indicate a firmware or mainboard issue.

Reply: I did update the firmware. Was hoping it might correct the issue if it was perhaps a copyright thingie. Not sure if the check sum fail was there beforehand or not though.

Reply: Funny thing is I fiddled around with the player after updating the firmware and after it shutting off a few times it stayed on through a full length movie. However, when my wife returned it to her company, it shut off again after about 20 minutes of play.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to planet

Premium Member

to planet
The checksum error would have nothing to do with "copyright" issues. You would get an actual error like "format not supported" or now error at all, but it just wouldn't play.

The error, usually seen at boot up only, would indicate a problem when reading the firmware during bootup. This can be caused by faulty firmware, any number of components on the mainboard, or the power supply.

In short, because of that error alone, I'd simply replace the unit.
ttfg
join:2000-09-27
PlantationFL

ttfg to planet

to planet
I have a couple of these, as well as a few of its predecessor models. I've had probably 10-12 of them, and unfortunately the HDMI ports are known to just die. Has happened to three of mine. Haven't seen the checksum error myself, but a suddenly dead HDMI port is a well known issue with this whole line.

Sadly, they only come with a 90-day warranty, and in all of my failures, they happened shortly after the warranty expired. But I have others that are still going strong after 5 years or more. Philips knows of the issue, but they still won't help you after the warranty ends.

Since you can usually get them for $35-$40, it's easier to just replace them, or just use the component outputs as an alternative.

The reason I put up with this crap, is because while they are cheap players, they upscale nicely to 1080P, and they all play DIVX (.avi) files. I can also play movies right off a USB flash drive, w/o having to burn/waste a disc. (I don't have a media center PC connected to the TV). All in all, the cost/benefit works for me. YMMV
ttfg

ttfg

I meant to add that they are also easily converted to region-free, with just a few series of entries on the remote. The hack is easily found, if you haven't found it already. FYI