spc
Search similar:

uniqs
racebyu
join:2013-01-22
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

racebyu

Hitron Ultimate Wireless Speed compaired to Wired Speed?

I have bridged my Rogers Ultimate Hitron and connected a Linksys E2500 wireless router.
What expected speeds should you be able to obtain though the wireless connection
when compared to the wired on my laptop?

Before the Hitron was put in bridged mode when wired directly to the units ports I could
get around 260Mps with the laptop but now only 55Mps on the E2500 ports. My wireless
speed though the E2500 is the same as my wired sheep though the unit at around 55Mps.

I dont understand why the speed was much faster when wired to the Hitron when unbridged
compared to wired/wireless to the E2500 with the Hitron in bridged mode?

Should I be able to get faster speeds like wired and unbridged or not?

Wired, Speedtest connected to Hitron (Unbridged).

Wireless/Wired, Speedtest connected to the E2500 (Hitron bridged).

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Re: Hitron Extreme, Wireless Speed compaired to Wired Speed?

1) The speedtest when behind the E2500 (bridged to the Hitron), are you wired to the E2500 or connecting to it wireless?

2) The E2500 4 LAN Ethernet ports are 10/100 only, the most you will ever see is 100Mbps, consumer routers have never really been known to reach their limits of wire speed simply because of the low grade chipsets they use. Even if it could max out, the most you would see is slightly under 100Mbps (because of overhead).

Whats funny is in theory the 2x2 Wireless Antennas can achieve faster speed (300Mbps) than your wired speed. Alhough it's wireless, dont expect to see that full 300Mbps. If you were wired to the E2500 when you ran that test, try on wireless and see what speeds you get.

If it's your budget to do so, I would recommend upgrading to a router with gigabit LAN ports (1000Mbps) and 3x3 802.11n antennas. The EA4500 (if you want to stay with Linksys would be good). If wireless performance isn't absolutely crucial, you could go with E2700 and save money.

Similar offering from D-Link, ASUS or Netgear would be just as good as well.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to racebyu

to racebyu
Well, 55.68mbps looks like the more accurate reading for the Extreme tier. If you're getting 55/9.5 on a 35/3 tier consider yourself lucky................
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

He's on Ultimate, not Extreme.
Ultimate is 150/10, its also the only way to get the higher upstream.

E2500 doesn't have gigabit ports (10/100 only), and frankly its not meant to handle the OP's cable package.

OP: Get a better router, or unbridge the Hitron.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to elitefx

to elitefx
It seems more like he is actually on the Ultimate tier, since his upload is 10Mbps in either situation. And since speed boost puts you into the next tier, down from 250 is 150. Maybe he got the plan names mixed up.
racebyu
Mississauga, ON

racebyu

Ops, my bad just got the Roger a few weeks ago, it is the Ultimate.
Sorry for the confusion.
racebyu

racebyu to TypeS

to TypeS
Thanks, and if I go with the EA4500 what cable do I run for the unit to the Hitron?
Cat 5, 5e, 6 6a or does it matter?
Also what type of speed should I be able to get then with a faster router, 100MPs? or the same speed as the Hitron direct connection?
Thanks for the info guys!

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Cat6 is what you should use, but Cat5e is capable of Gigabit speeds as well, I use Cat5es myself to connect my laptop at home. Cat6 isn't much more expensive though, might as well buy a 5 footer (assuming your router will be beside your Hitron) Cat6 to be sure.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd to racebyu

MVM

to racebyu

Re: Hitron Ultimate Wireless Speed compaired to Wired Speed?

Wireless SPEED is dependent on a number of factors;

1.. the capability of your wireless radios and antennas
2.. the capability of your wireless client

When 1 and 2 are identically capable THAT is when your wireless performance will provide the best results.

for example: I am currently testing a ASUS RT-AC66U wireless Router and my wireless Client is the ASUS USB-N66 and I typically get 134 Mbps Down and 9.55 Mbps Up using Rogers Ultimate via a CISCO DPC3825
racebyu
Mississauga, ON

racebyu to TypeS

to TypeS

Re: Hitron Extreme, Wireless Speed compaired to Wired Speed?

Thanks, I moved the router from the basement to the main floor for better signal though the house so the connection is around 30' of wire between router and modem. I guess that cat 6 might be the best.
racebyu

racebyu to mozerd

to mozerd

Re: Hitron Ultimate Wireless Speed compaired to Wired Speed?

I would love that download speed, will have to read up on that ASUS router,
hum ASUS RT-AC66U or Linksys EA6500 both have future AC support.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

The E2500 has a 300mhz MIPS processor. IMO it's not capable of pushing speeds beyond 50Mbps. You basically need a better router.
racebyu
Mississauga, ON

racebyu

Think I got this all sorted out now, took back the LinkSys E2500 and upgraded to the EA6500, big difference now.
Unit has much better range though the house (3 levels) and I get some great wireless speeds now on my new
Acer laptop with i5 processor 802.11n wireless adapter. LinkSys EA6500 to Hitron on 30' of Cat 5e cable.

Thanks for the help and great information everyone.

Wireless speed now at 5Ghz!

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

No problem, glad we could all help.

Now if only November would come sooner so I can get the same speeds from TekSavvy (I hope).