1 edit

[FireFox] Firefox thumbnails?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jhgfkjgukg.default\thumbnails

these thumbnails look more like screen shots to me?

???

Thats kinda freaky, my searches on Google and YouTube and my post to DSL and my YouTube inbox composing a message.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

about:newtab?

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

said by NotTheMama:

about:newtab?

I don't understand

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Firefox "captures" images of the pages you visit and displays "thumbnails" of the most frequently/recently visited ones on the newtab page. I guess the images get resized as needed for your window size.

»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new···op-sites
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

If you are concerned about your privacy, you can turn this feature off completely:

In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
Type browser.newtab.url in the search box.
Double-click the browser.newtab.url preference and change the url from about:newtab to about:blank. Alternately, you can change it to about:home for the Firefox Google home page, or type in your preferred home page, for example google.com.
Click OK and close the about:config tab.

Got it thanks

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 recommendation

I think to stop Firefox from collecting the screenshots you need to create the following preference (in about:config):
browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled
and set it to 'true'.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

4 edits

OMG this thumbnail folder is a GOLDMINE of screenshots of searches, what I copy pasted......ya not cool.

that's brutal!

From the looks of it, they are not securely deleted when they do is unknown too.
Also Ccleaner does not clean then by default either.

ok I did browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled;true and it is still bulding the screenshots thumbnails after restart.

browser.newtab.url;about:blank
browser.newtabpage.enabled;false
browser.newtabpage.storageVersion;1
browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled;true
browser.pagethumbnails.storage_version;2

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Cartel

I know I'm running Waterfox 18.0.1, but I wanted to report what I have seen in regards to this.

First, when I close Waterfox, the thumbnail directory, located here

C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tp70v0yu.default\thumbnails

Is deleted.

When I re-open Waterfox, I have google as my homepage. The directory gets re-created, and in it I see two files showing the google homepage. As I continue to have Waterfox open, additional files (with a .PNG extension) will be added. But, once I close the browser, they are all removed, including the directory they are in.

Now, I know in my case, when I click on the New tab button (that little + sign next to my current tab), I get a blank screen. No thumbnails show up. But, I do see "spaces" so to speak where they could be.

I know the only modification I have made in "about:config" is this one

"browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML"

I change the value from the default "False" to be "True". This way, every time I exit Waterfox, an export file of my bookmarks (bookmark.html) is created in the root of my profile directory. If I ever need to re-install my OS, or more important, re-install Waterfox, that is the only file I need to save.

Outside of that, I have made a few changes to the actual Waterfox items (Tools then Options). However, I don't know specifically which one of them would cause it to work this way.

In any case, just wanted to point this out.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to Cartel

I believe the thumbnails are also used for panorama, but I don't know if there's some other preference for that (yet). Also, https: pages aren't supposed to be captured in any case.
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Cartel

This is happening to me to. I was going to post that ccleaner doesn't even get rid of it, let alone FF's own delete all history/etc. but you beet me to it.

I don't like this one bit. And don't recall FF doing this in the past. Unless it was doing it in an unknown folder.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

I think to stop Firefox from collecting the screenshots you need to create the following preference (in about:config):
and set it to 'true'.

Exactly. Then the Thumbnail directory is not even created after you go in and delete it and then restart Firefox.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

I think to stop Firefox from collecting the screenshots you need to create the following preference (in about:config): browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled and set it to 'true'.

Thanks for that. I'd already set browser.newtab.url to about:blank a while back but the thumbnails were still being created. Now they're not.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Racerbob

It's still doing here and does not delete when ff closed

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

said by NotTheMama:

and set it to 'true'.

Exactly. Then the Thumbnail directory is not even created after you go in and delete it and then restart Firefox.

It is here, I deleted the folder it was recreated Today, February 03, 2013, 2:36:11 PM

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY

2 edits

OK...you are right...the folder was recreated for me, but there is nothing in it.

EDIT: I take that back. Monitoring it now and I do not see the directory being created.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

2 edits

fixed

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY

Create this in about:config

and set it to 'true'.

I have no further answers for you.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

1 edit

see below

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

3 edits
reply to Cartel

I got it to work now, create a boolean not a string.

thanks

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 edit

I think the fellow you quote here didn't quite understand the "right source", because he/she contradicts it. The preference doesn't exist by default, but the default action of Firefox is to create the screenshots; and the default value for the preference is 'false'. At least, that's what MDN says--not disabled by default.

Could it be the version of Firefox you're using or a conflict with an add-on?

OK... never mind--it's working for you now (and you had 3 edits while I completed my interrupted post ).

[Edit:] Of course, it's possible that the MDN page was incorrect and was updated due to this fellow's post bringing attention to the fact? ...check out those dates.
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to Cartel

And it's set to 'true', right?

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Cartel

yes thanks

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC

I almost think this should be moved to security....this screenshot thing is ridiculous.

I feel like going back to IE8

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

said by Cartel:

I almost think this should be moved to security....

I believe there was some security issue with thumbnails shown on new tabs. I always hated the feature anyway and therefore disabled it.

»www.pcworld.com/article/259493/m···dow.html
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

said by StuartMW:

said by Cartel:

I almost think this should be moved to security....

I believe there was some security issue with thumbnails shown on new tabs. I always hated the feature anyway and therefore disabled it.

»www.pcworld.com/article/259493/m···dow.html

The thumbnails I posted are more than "just websites I visited".
It looks more like a spy on my typed searches and highlight text login pages.
Pretty scary if you ask me.