spc
uniqs
elnad2000
join:2008-07-13
L'Ancienne-Lorette, QC

elnad2000 to DrugTito

to DrugTito

Re: VPN - START Cable customer

I'm also a PIA customer. I really like their VPN. I'm on 10mbps cable with ElectronicBox. In uTorrent, a VPN to North York maxed out my 10mbps. This summer, I will switch to 20mpbs with EBox so I hope the connection to VPN will be as fast as now.

What I really like about PIA is the 3 differents connections at the same time. My HTPC is connected on East US to watch Hulu Desktop, my media server (for torrents) is connected to North York since this server can maxed out my connection and my main rig is not connected to have the best ping possible for gaming.

The only problem I have with VPN is that you cannot use QOS in your router. I have Toastman Tomato and if I activate QOS, the speed drops to almost nothing. I discovered that while playing with settings to find out why the VPN was so slow at first.

The only thing I would like with PIA is an option in the software they use to connect you to disconnect and reconnect every 48hrs so I don't have one of their shared-ips for too long. I prefer to renew my connection once in a while to clear everything.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by elnad2000:

The only problem I have with VPN is that you cannot use QOS in your router. I have Toastman Tomato and if I activate QOS, the speed drops to almost nothing. I discovered that while playing with settings to find out why the VPN was so slow at first.

That is strange. Very possible that your VPN packets were catagorized into the "crawl" class. Don't think you need to disable QOS. Maybe find out what outgoing port is used for your PIA VPN service, and set that to a higher class.