Search similar:

uniqs

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

Iran Built A Fighter Jet---Why Can't Canada?

Lol. I highly doubt it'll fly.
»www.liveleak.com/view?i= ··· 59795485
Expand your moderator at work
RTfM2010
join:2010-07-07

RTfM2010 to Rifleman

to Rifleman

Re: Iran Built A Fighter Jet---Why Can't Canada?

Not being threatened by a war-mongering super-power. Yet.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

3 edits

koira to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman
.made from discarded cardboard refrigerator cartons,duct tape and aluminum foil
Painted with khaki green latex paint from Iranian Tire store

War ? Bring It On

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to Rifleman

to Rifleman
Iran needs those. We don't. At least for few centuries.
We just buy from big brother even if we dont need it.

Rifleman
Premium Member
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

I'll be damned--it flies!
»www.liveleak.com/view?i= ··· 59842829
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

said by Rifleman:

You do realize it's a different plane than the one in your first post, right?

Rifleman
Premium Member
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

I'll be damned--it's a different plane!!

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by MichelR:

said by Rifleman:

You do realize it's a different plane than the one in your first post, right?

said by Rifleman:

I'll be damned--it's a different plane!!

really?
And ouch.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

1 edit

milnoc to Rifleman

to Rifleman
We built a fighter airplane once. Long ago.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· iESBy7u8

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Ztk8uPP0

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

> We built a fighter airplane once. Long ago

My dad worked for Avro - as test instrumentation engineer. He worked on the Arrows. I wouldn't be here if the Arrow program didn't get canceled...

I hear that some divers are really close to finding some of the scale models of the avro they shot out over lake ontario.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

We built a fighter airplane once. Long ago.

we built a high altitude interceptor, slightly different.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman
Maybe we should buy these
»www.liveleak.com/view?i= ··· 13750562
It's 2D thrust vectoring will out maneuver an F-35

Rifleman
Premium Member
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

Here's vid of the damned plane flying--but looks like a model to me. The point I was trying to make is if they have the tech and budget to build these, would our money not be better spent developing our own?
»www.liveleak.com/view?i= ··· 59812981

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Rifleman

to Rifleman
said by Rifleman:

Lol. I highly doubt it'll fly.
»www.liveleak.com/view?i= ··· 59795485

The view inside the cockpit (now vanishing off the internet)shows that Iran has an active and viable fibreglass industry.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

More here:
»www.thestar.com/news/wor ··· dar.html

Canada should buy some.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· SIu8lsks

It appears to fly (or something with the same profile...)

couple of points:

1) The front of the cockpit area appears too small to have any combat usable radar system.

2) The ways the intakes are placed, inset and above the wings, would appear to restrict the airflow in any high angle of pitch (low speed) and could easily cause compressor stalls.

3) The angles on the frame appears to be too smooth. This would negate the (stealth) radar profile (best is multiple sharp angles).

My 2 cents... Oh yea, we don't have those anymore.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to Rifleman

to Rifleman
said by Rifleman:

The point I was trying to make is if they have the tech and budget to build these, would our money not be better spent developing our own?

We can't anymore. After the cancellation, we signed a treaty with the USA that forbids us to unilaterally build our own fighters. We can only build them "in partnership" with the USA.

We've literally surrendered part of our sovereignty to the USA. And considering how poorly the Americans have behaved in foreign nations, it doesn't comfort me one damn bit.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

We could just treat the treaty the same way the Americans treat NAFTA. Build it anyway and too bad if they don't like it.

Not that I support us spending all that money to build a jet. I think it'd be cheaper to just buy one.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

We can't anymore. After the cancellation, we signed a treaty with the USA that forbids us to unilaterally build our own fighters. We can only build them "in partnership" with the USA.

Doesn't stop us from buying the SAAB or the PAK-FA. Wouldn't us
buying the PAK piss the US off bigtime?!

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

You got a citation?

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Good on Iran to combat dependence on foreign industrial production by leveraging their natural resources to finance their own solutions. I wish we were that smart.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

I hear that some divers are really close to finding some of the scale models of the avro they shot out over lake ontario.

We must be the most stupid people on Earth, after spending billions and cancelling this project we went ahead and destroyed all the blue prints and cast machines of this jet plane instead of selling them off to recoup our money... aren't we smart?

To anyone that cares Iran has built it's own home-made vehicles since 1984, it's called the "Paykan" or something like that.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman
Canada isn't working overtime on a nuclear weapons program, either, nor are we hurriedly preparing to go to war.

The only reason Iran is trying to build US stealth fighter jet knock-offs is that their nuclear program has put them under tight international sanctions and no one will sell them the real thing.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

Canada isn't working overtime on a nuclear weapons program, either, nor are we hurriedly preparing to go to war.

The only reason Iran is trying to build US stealth fighter jet knock-offs is that their nuclear program has put them under tight international sanctions and no one will sell them the real thing.

They could buy some good stuff from Russia or China, but they're playing it smart by keeping their dependence on foreign industries to a minimum. Canada... Not so much

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

said by FiReSTaRT:

They could buy some good stuff from Russia or China...

There has been an arms embargo since United Nations Security Council Resolution 1747 in 2007, reinforced by five other binding resolutions after that. China and Russia participated in passing those resolutions.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

said by Wolfie00:

They could buy some good stuff from Russia or China, but they're playing it smart by keeping their dependence on foreign industries to a minimum. Canada... Not so much

No big deal to modify a Bombardier Q400 series to be like an AC-130H/J.

If we put roll-down windows on a Challenger and give the pilots pistols, we'll have a much more advanced fighter aircraft than we had a the start of World War I - there's no propeller to fire through.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by milnoc:

You got a citation?

The Defense Production Sharing Agreement.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De ··· greement

»www.ccc.ca/en/industries ··· PSAe.pdf

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

The Defense Production Sharing Agreement.

Have you read the agreement? It does absolutely nothing like what you described.

Canada could completely do something on their own, and the Americans in turn would be within their right to withdraw production in Canada as per the agreement.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
Canada

FiReSTaRT to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

There has been an arms embargo since United Nations Security Council Resolution 1747 in 2007, reinforced by five other binding resolutions after that. China and Russia participated in passing those resolutions.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was unaware of it. Well, I guess the Iranians will benefit from this bit of adversity once the Sun finally sets on the US and the crusade ends. Who knows, one day, we might even be buying from them, once those F35's start performing like those British subs