On a cliff

[Help] Color Correction using Sony Vegas Platinum

Click for full size
Raw (Kodak Zx5)
Click for full size
Color corrected using Sony Vegas Platinum 10
Click for full size
Raw (GoPro Hero 2)
I visited my daughter's school and shot some video of one of her best friends playing some hoops. What you see is screen caps of the vids:
1)The raw footage of the Kodak Zx5
2)My attempt at editing the footage using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10
3)For good measure, the raw footage of a GoPro Hero 2 - incidental plug too.

After several days of reading tips, watching videos of tutorials and actually editing the video using color correction, white balance, color curve etc., I think I'm missing something. I mean I don't expect to match the color of the GoPro exactly but I would expect to get better quality that what I've come up with.

Is there a secret to getting better results or is it just a matter of "playing" with the color wheel until I get the result I want?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

The scene isn't a straight white balance issue, which I think is where the software is failing. As you can see in your corrected image, you're getting what we used to call in film a 'crossover' effect- where the highlights and shadows are opposite hues (in this case green and magenta, respectively). What happens then is that if you correct for one, the other looks worse. If it was a still, you could correct by manipulating the two separately, but I don't know if it's possible with your software.

One thing you could try (if the software allows) would be to decrease green saturation while playing with the color balance.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium
join:2002-08-06
On a cliff
Yes the software does give me the option to "manipulate" the two hues separately. I've messed around a bit more with that option with no real improvements. Guess there's no real magic fix it's just a matter of me finding the right combination.

Thanks for the tips.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to golden eagle
said by golden eagle:

Is there a secret to getting better results or is it just a matter of "playing" with the color wheel until I get the result I want?

If you had auto white balance turned off then careful manipulation with the wheels will do the job, if you had AWB turned on you are toast as the WB will be varying throughout the video.

golden eagle
Aquila chrysaetos
Premium
join:2002-08-06
On a cliff
The Kodak Zx5 being one of those "pocket" cameras does not have the option to turn "AWB off". That being said, it really is a great camera and has performed really well 'till now.

I'm tempted to say that I was merely in piss poor lighting conditions as I also shot stills at 2500k and still had to touch up in post but ... the GoPro did such a great job of capturing colors.

Thanks for your input.

Learning experience. That's all.