Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
reply to Snakeoil

Re: UI Screenshots

Looks great at 40 fps on ultra. Mine is setting on high at about 80 fps while doing dailies. Haven't tried to run on ultra yet. I'm afraid my gfx card might have a hernia.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

I'm used to low FPS. I think my Linux box was getting something like 20 FPS.

The card in my new PC is an Nvidia geoforce 630 m.

It's towards the bottom when compared to the other cards, but I think it's better than the 96/9800 Gt that is in my Linux box.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Cptbeatstix

said by Cptbeatstix:

Looks great at 40 fps on ultra. Mine is setting on high at about 80 fps while doing dailies. Haven't tried to run on ultra yet. I'm afraid my gfx card might have a hernia.

80 fps does you no good unless you're running a 120hz monitor.

If your FPS is higher than your refresh rate at any time, your monitor will not actually be able to display all of these frames

»www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

Read that.

You'll more than likely get better results (if you've got a 60hz monitor) at 60 fps and vsync enabled.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY

said by McBrain:

said by Cptbeatstix:

80 fps does you no good unless you're running a 120hz monitor.

If your FPS is higher than your refresh rate at any time, your monitor will not actually be able to display all of these frames

Read that.

You'll more than likely get better results (if you've got a 60hz monitor) at 60 fps and vsync enabled.

Or adaptive vsync for later Nvidia cards. My personal preference.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

Read that.

I don't get that quote. It's misleading. A 60hz monitor most definately will display over 60fps (if your GPU has the horsepower to do so). But since only running at 60hz refresh rate, that's where screen tearing will show up. A 120hz monitor is the remedy.

I can push upwards of 90-100fps in some games, but I'll get massive screen tearing as a result.

Goldheart

Ballston Spa, NY

said by Ghastlyone:

said by McBrain:

Read that.

I don't get that quote. It's misleading. A 60hz monitor most definately will display over 60fps (if your GPU has the horsepower to do so). But since only running at 60hz refresh rate, that's where screen tearing will show up. A 120hz monitor is the remedy.

I can push upwards of 90-100fps in some games, but I'll get massive screen tearing as a result.

Screen tearing can result from running higher than 60 fps on a 60Hz only panel.. At 60 or less it is fine. You can enable vsync to alleviate this.

The problem with vync is that you can only sync at 30 or 60 fps so with it on and the fps drops below 60 fps you will get 30.

Adaptive vsync changes that. It is not limited to 30 fps or other multiple. Much better but only newer Nvidia cards have this feature as far as I know.

Personally I do not see a need to run higher than 60 fps especially for a game like WoW. Then there is the fact that there are no 120Hz displays with IPS panels (that I have seen anyway) which is a deal killer for me. I'm strictly an IPS panel guy! 60 fps is perfectly fine.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

A 60hz monitor most definately will display over 60fps

No it won't.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Goldheart

said by Goldheart:

Then there is the fact that there are no 120Hz displays with IPS panels (that I have seen anyway) which is a deal killer for me. I'm strictly an IPS panel guy! 60 fps is perfectly fine.

»120hz.net/

There's hope for you...if you feel comfortable overclocking your monitor, paying $550 for it, and waiting in line for months to get one.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Goldheart

Ballston Spa, NY

said by McBrain:

said by Goldheart:

Then there is the fact that there are no 120Hz displays with IPS panels (that I have seen anyway) which is a deal killer for me. I'm strictly an IPS panel guy! 60 fps is perfectly fine.

»120hz.net/

There's hope for you...if you feel comfortable overclocking your monitor, paying $550 for it, and waiting in line for months to get one.

Hmm nice:

Model: Yamasaki Catleap 2B Extreme Overclock Edition
Specifics: 1440p (2560x1440) Display, 27", LG IPS panel, LED Backlit, Single DL-DVI Input for Low Lag Gaming, 60hz (OC's up to 135hz)
Price: $719.99 ($400 Declared Customs Value)
Ship Date: Around the first week of February