spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rocks911
join:2012-06-05
Garland, TX

rocks911

What to do with STB with flat panel

I just purchased and installed a 42" LED on my bedroom wall with a tilt mount. Now that I've got that sleek look where do you suppose I should put the clunky box?

What if I were to use a digital converter, maybe throw that behind the tilt and hope that it will kinda receive a signal?

Is there any way to have FIOS service with a flat screen and no electronic junk with cables?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I feed the TV with HDMI through the wall. I don't know what type of "digital converter" you're referring to, but only STBs from Verizon will work to get Verizon programming. "Digital converters" for over-the-air will not work unless they have a QAM tuner. Some TVs have QAM receivers and will receive channels 1-49 and local HD channels from Verizon using a direct coax feed with no other box.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to rocks911

Premium Member

to rocks911
If you can tuck the STB behind the tv, get an IR extender.
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911

I suppose I could pick up an IR extender at Radio Shack? It would work with the Verizon remote?

Never had an extender, dont know exactly how they work...duh.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

This will work »www.amazon.com/Infrared- ··· 02JSDHCY

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
said by PJL:

I feed the TV with HDMI through the wall. I don't know what type of "digital converter" you're referring to, but only STBs from Verizon will work to get Verizon programming. "Digital converters" for over-the-air will not work unless they have a QAM tuner. Some TVs have QAM receivers and will receive channels 1-49 and local HD channels from Verizon using a direct coax feed with no other box.

I get Verizon programming from my TiVos. No need for a Verizon FiOS STB.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Yes, but you are using a Cable card (im guessing) . You still are using a box. The OP is concerned with hiding the box.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to rocks911

MVM

to rocks911
And the digital converter OP is referring to could be the DCT700. It is smaller and could more easily tuck in behind the tilt mount.

Downside is it's SD only. Defeats the purpose of having a nice 42" HD display.
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911

Thanks for the replies.
I dont know what model digital converter I have, its about 4 years old. It works less than well.

I dont want to have to pay for a STB that will be used maybe a week out of the year.

I struggle with keeping Verizons monthly bill down. Its almost my part time job, watching it climb and working to keep it down.

I'll just use a WD TV and forget about cable TV.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by rocks911:

I dont want to have to pay for a STB that will be used maybe a week out of the year.

You bought a new TV for your bedroom that you watch one week out of a year?
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911

Guest bedroom.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by rocks911:

Guest bedroom.

Let me guess, in-laws...??? (I had to do the same to appease my wife)...

troyh72
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Keller, TX

troyh72 to rocks911

Premium Member

to rocks911
Try these HDMI over ethernet plates. You can run the box from anywhere you can run cat5. We use them at the office, worked great.

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to rocks911

to rocks911
You didn't say what manufacturer.
Would it happen to be LG or Samsung that has the FIOS app?
You could use that if you have wireless.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to rocks911

Premium Member

to rocks911
If this is just an occasional use TV in a guest room and has a QAM tuner, what about just providing "basic" programing via that tuner, rather than using the converter?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by buckingham:

If this is just an occasional use TV in a guest room and has a QAM tuner, what about just providing "basic" programing via that tuner, rather than using the converter?

Yes.