how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

godsmacked92

join:2012-11-06
reply to godsmacked92

Re: [memory] Installed Memory (RAM)

if i upgrade to a higher WINDOWS version do i have to install new drivers or i could use the same?

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

You can use the same drivers only if:
The O/S you buy is a 32-bit (x86) O/S and is Win7, similar to what is installed.

You will need to obtain different drivers if:
If you buy a 64-bit O/S (Win7), as you need drivers for the 64-bit architecture.

If you go to Win8 you will need specific drivers for it, either 32-bit, or 64-bit.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Depending on the hardware and specific driver, older drivers can work. I've used Vista drivers with Windows 7 and 8 many times (last one was a few days ago for my 11-year-old HP Scanjet 2300c, Vista 64-bit driver worked beautifully on 8 64-bit). Occasionally, even XP drivers can work, although the range of hardware that you can do that with is much smaller.

As norwegian See Profile posted, what you'll really have to pay attention to is whether you're installing a 32 or 64-bit OS, and using the corresponding drivers.
--
KI6RIT

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX
reply to godsmacked92

If you stay with 32 bit Windows 7, you won't even have to re-install anything, you'll just have to enter a new product key.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Are you sure? The CD iso picks at the beginning which version to install, not the key, so how would that work. Link please?

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

1 recommendation

He already has Windows Starter (32 bit) installed. So as long as it is still installed, all he has to do is the Windows Anytime Upgrade on the System Properties page (click the Get more features... as shown in the first post in this thread).

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Understand. I've never done an upgrade because of driver issues in the past. Guess that isn't the case here.

Good point.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to tcg

Ah, I completely forgot about that.
--
KI6RIT