uniqs
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

[WIN7] Do I need these updates?

I am offered these updates: KB2505438 which is for slow performance with Direct Writer API, and KB92018 regarding compatibility of Windows 7 with Advanced Format Disks available.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and have no idea if I quality for these updates (although they are offered through Updates).

Would anyone know if I should install them?

I am also offered some optional updates which seem to me to be hardware related - I'm not comfortable installing any of them, but will put a screenshot for any comments in a following post.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
hardware updates?
These are the hardware optional updates (I don't think they are available at the Lenovo download site - I have a Lenovo G570)
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

The driver updates you should see if there are newer versions at the part manufacturers site, Microsoft, while being a multibillion dollar company has always been too cheap and lazy to keep the drivers they host up to date. Which is something you get from every other player in the OS market, even on the free OSs out there.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you for that information. I'll hide them.

Sincerely, Libra
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Looks like you need to at least do three things manually, update the video drivers from the intel site, update the .inf driver for your monitor, and download whatever software you need for your logitech device if it's got any special features you can't use now.

As far as logitech software goes for mice I prefer it for one feature, acceleration. The faster you move the mouse, the faster the cursor moves, and you can go from dragging it slowly to zipping it across the screen without having to drag it across the desk.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I don't know why it's showing those hardware items. I don't have a Thinkpad, I have a Lenovo Essential G570. I updated the Display Driver (Intel onboard graphics driver) and a Realtec USB2 card reader. My Logitec mouse works fine. I don't know anything about an .inf file and I didn't find one at the Lenovo drivers and download site.

I was concerned about KB2505438 which is for slow performance with Direct Writer API. Do you know if I need that? It's listed in Windows Updates, but is unchecked. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Intel drivers seem generally safe, but I'd avoid giving a blanket recommendation that says the vendor drivers are always better.

Hardware companies, particularly in the wow-gosh end of the video card market, are fond of rushing out not-well-debugged drivers. You could be better off being a little behind the curve. In such a case, Windows Update is sometimes the wiser choice.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
Lenovo Download and Drivers page
I just went to the Lenovo drivers page and the only thing I can find is the Intel Onboard Graphics driver (which is under Video). I can't find the other things MS is showing in the categories on the Lenovo page. Also, a while ago I clicked on "more info" from the Windows Update page, and I didn't get any information except that it was for developers and it wanted me to join something, I think.

Would you know if I can install the Direct Writer API download referenced above?

Sincerely, Libra
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Libra

to Libra
Looks like Microsoft is aware they have screwed up again »support.microsoft.com/kb/2505438
Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Oleg. In reading the article you provided, it seems to me that I can install KB2505438 as long as SP1 is installed, which it is.
I'll think about this for a while.

Sincerely, Libra