Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Vlan with non vlan router!

Good day.

I need advice.. My internet connection is over fibre, using an ONT.

To have my inet working, my router need to negotiate PPPoE, into a specific vlan.

Im using a pfsense box now, as its the only way i was able to get it work.

I have a Juniper ssg140 that I want to use, but i cant. It support VLAN but only over DHCP.. not on PPPoe.

I also have a managed switch. I tried to create a vlan with the same ID as my isp need. I add one tagged and one untagged port. I plugged the tagged one on my ONT, and the untagged on my router..

It doesnt work.. Maybe my switch block some protocol ?

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I too have an ONT that was supposed to connect to an ISP supplied action tech router. I am on a bell aliant fiberop connection. I replaced the action tech with a zyxel usg router which allows the vlan programming required. I have not tried it for any tv cable service. Many use the asus n56U router with a specially developed firmware for fibreop.

What type os service do you have.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

I cannot use a "personal" grade router, as I need functionnality of the juniper.

So that's why im trying to figure out something
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Frank_IT

MVM

to Frank_IT
said by Frank_IT:

I have a Juniper ssg140 that I want to use, but i cant. It support VLAN but only over DHCP.. not on PPPoe.

For pfsense, how did you configure the WAN interface to work with the VLAN? The SSG should also be able
to do something similar via a subinterface config and you should be able to tag a VLAN to that... have you
investigated that option?

Also, SSG-140 can do PPPoE... check around for a config guide.
said by Frank_IT:

It doesnt work.. Maybe my switch block some protocol ?

Switches work with FRAMES (Layer 2), protocols are Layer 4. If you think the switch is "blocking" something,
have you tried throwing up a computer with wireshark on it and checking?

Regards

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
What kind of switch are you using? I would suspect a misconfiguration there.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Hi,

finally i was able to have it work.

Hellfire: Yes, SSG can do pppoe, but not over a vlan (sub-if with tag). It can only on a physical interface.

clarknova: Yes.. finally it was that.. I'm using a brocade manageable switch, gs648p. There is one option that i had to enable.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Frank_IT

MVM

to Frank_IT
Glad you got it figured out Frank_IT See Profile Find it hard to believe SSG can't do that... but I'm not
a SSG expert by any stretch.

Edit : Looks like SSG can't do it afterall.

Regards