spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Two Rivers
@optonline.net

Two Rivers

Anon

Turning off Wi-Fi

Just got Optimum Online Triple Play with a Netgear N600 router, and apparently there's no way to turn off the Wi-Fi even though Netgear offers a way to do it with these routers normally. It seems Optimum doesn't want clients turning off Wi-Fi. Any idea why? And does it compromise my security? I don't use Wi-Fi and was able to turn it off easily with Verizon's ActionTec router. I always use hardwire connections, but could the always-on wireless hurt me in any way? Thanks.

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

Mangix

Wi-Fi is dangerous in the sense that if the password is default, someone can bruteforce the password and get into your network(newer NETGEAR routers default to using a wifi password of the form: adjective+noun+3 digits which is easily bruteforceable).

As for turning it off, if the web interface will not work, you probably need to telnet in to the router, which I do not know if you can do.

»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/net ··· .console

If you need to download telnetenable for windows, »dl.dropbox.com/u/1020119 ··· able.exe

Note that doing this will probably void any warranty you have. This method is also not supported by NETGEAR or your ISP as it's equivalent to rooting an android device. YMMV.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
Just don't use the router. Connect the computer right to the modem.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

^^^^
Not if he has more than one device which it sounds like is the case
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
If all else fails get a different router.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
In a review I saw in the first result of a google search, it states "The front panel features two buttons: one for WPS, and the other to disable the wireless signal with just a touch." Does that match what you see?
JosephB
join:2012-10-19
Manhasset, NY

2 edits

JosephB to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
Two Rivers,

Your allowed to use your own "store purchased" Router with Optimum.
So, why don't you just go out and buy your own Netgear Router or another brand from a store (staples, etc), so that is *not* managed by cablevision, but instead you manage it ?
... It is relatively cheap to buy your own Router these days.
... P.S. When you buy your own Router, you will have to support any problems with the Router yourself, cablevision will *not* resolve issues you have with it. ... But, with the Router Vendor's support forums and/or direct Router Vendor's support you will have Router assistance should you need it.
Two Rivers
join:2013-02-03
Ramsey, NJ

Two Rivers to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
The Netgear N600 has a physical button to turn off wireless, but it doesn't work on the modem I got from Optimum. I can turn off WPS online. I didn't know buying my own Netgear N600 was an option. I'll call tech support and ask if I can. I'll report back to all of you when I find out. Many thanks.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

said by Two Rivers:

The Netgear N600 has a physical button to turn off wireless, but it doesn't work on the modem I got from Optimum.

I'm not sure I understand. The button is on the N600 router, not the modem, right? Are you saying the wireless button on the router is disabled with the Optimum firmware - so even in the off position wireless is still on? They may have done that to avoid calls from people saying their wireless is not working, only to find the switch was off. They had plenty of trouble with the "standby" button on the modem, and people calling because their internet was out.

Don't call tech support - Optimum will not sell you a router. You can buy your own router at Amazon, Best Buy, PC Richards, Staples, Radio Shack, Walmart, and many other places.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
said by Two Rivers:

The Netgear N600 has a physical button to turn off wireless, but it doesn't work on the modem I got from Optimum. I can turn off WPS online. I didn't know buying my own Netgear N600 was an option. I'll call tech support and ask if I can. I'll report back to all of you when I find out. Many thanks.

You can't buy it from CV. You would have to buy it from a 3rd party vendor.

I did not realize the button was disabled. Use WPA2 encryption with a god password, and make sure your optimum id & password & security questions are secure.
JosephB
Manhasset, NY

4 edits

1 recommendation

JosephB to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
Two Rivers,

BTW, if you don't care about the lack of full management of the Router by yourself and the only issue to you is the ability to Turn OFF the Wireless, you should reconsider your stand on *not* using Wireless, as you loose a lot of flexbility without Wireless.

... With Wireless you can in the future puchase a Laptop and move it room to room and easily have Internet access whcih is easier than snaking cables in the walls to all the rooms where you want to be able to use the Laptop. Additionally, by using Wirless, with a very lightweight Laptop or iPhone or Tablet (iPad or Kindle) you can with the Optimium App watch TV in any room of the house.
... Wireless is very secure (and wireless data communications is transmitted encrypted), if you set the Router up as follows:

1. WPA2-PSK [AES] - only choose AES by itself, *not* combined with TKIP.
2. Change SSID from default of "Netgear" OR "NetgearXX" (for the Netgear Router) to a "Unique" - Long SSID Name of about 15 to 20 characters in length.
3. The most important of all - Create a Wireless "Network Key" (aka "passphrase", "password") that is:
... A Minimum of 30 (to a Maximum of 63) "Random characters" consisting of a combination of Uppercase letters, Lowercase letters, Numbers and Special Characters (punctuation).
Notes:
a) Use a "Password Generator" at a site like www.grc.com/passwords.htm
to come up with the Random Password.
b) Recommend using the a Full - 63 Random characters for the Password which is fully secure.

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
why would cablevision disable the button? Are they planning on giving these routers to everyone to increase the size of their wifi network?
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by HardwareGeek:

why would cablevision disable the button? Are they planning on giving these routers to everyone to increase the size of their wifi network?

More than likely they are (also?) doing something that will reduce customer complaints about broken routers and disabling the button. I'm guessing it's a tiny minority that want the wireless disabled that received routers from CV.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to HardwareGeek

Premium Member

to HardwareGeek
said by HardwareGeek:

why would cablevision disable the button?

Do you know how many people call CV with "no internet" because the standby button on the modem was pushed? Probably trying to avoid that.
Two Rivers
join:2013-02-03
Ramsey, NJ

Two Rivers to JosephB

to JosephB
Thanks everyone. One of the respondents recommended using another router. I dug around in my closet and came up with an unused WRT45G that I'd used a few years ago. I'd already turned off the wireless on it so all I had to do was unplug the Optimum-provided Netgear N600 and plug in the WRT45G. Works like a charm. As for convenience, I haven't used wireless in three or four years and haven't missed it one little bit so this works out just fine. I might some day try to get into the Netgear while it's disconnected from the DOCSIS to see if I can turn off the wireless that way, but that's a curiosity that can wait. Again, thanks to all.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Two Rivers

Premium Member

to Two Rivers
I didn't even know that OOL provided wireless modems?/routers? to customers.
JosephB
Manhasset, NY

1 recommendation

JosephB

said by DownTheShore:

I didn't even know that OOL provided wireless modems?/routers? to customers.

DownTheShore,

They offer the Free Netgear Router *only* to "New customers" that get the Triple Play with OOL - Boost Plus.
... My guess is to be competitive with FIOS where you get a Router.
JosephB

JosephB to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
Two Rivers,

P.S. I would suggest that - Either you turn in the Netgear Router now or save the Router (and Don't loose the supplied netgear router. Should you ever decide to switch back to fios, they will most likely charge you for the router, if you do *not* return it).

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to Two Rivers

to Two Rivers
For 98% of users, I'm sure they'd be perfectly satisfied to have a wireless router to use free of charge. They are appliances to most users and just want something that works. The fact that the ISP manages the hardware is a nice bonus.
UnknownBeing
join:2012-12-30
Stamford, CT

UnknownBeing to JosephB

to JosephB
said by JosephB:

They offer the Free Netgear Router *only* to "New customers" that get the Triple Play with OOL - Boost Plus.

We aren't a new customer and when the guy swapped out our modems (from Boost to Boost Plus) he gave us a router. We also don't have triple play.