Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

Which HDTV Indoor Antenna to buy?

One of our family members is moving, and she wants OTA instead of paying for Time Warner, as she only watches a few channels. I was wondering which Indoor HDTV antenna anyone would recommend to buy? She has a Vizio HDTV(720p), and she wants a high quality antenna. Also, if we get a Digital Indoor antenna, does she need a converter box? Thanks in advance
--
No Victim=No Crime

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
The good ol' rabbit ears and bow-tie antennas work fine for me.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to billydunwood
Test with some rabbit ears to see whether her TV is "digital ready". If not, she will need a converter. Also check to see whether it picks up all the stations, successfully.

I live with some mountains between my house and most of the broadcast antennae. So I had to buy a moderately sized outdoor antenna and I mounted it inside the top of my attic. I still can't pick all of the stations up cleanly all of the time.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood
I would suggest starting here:

»www.tvfool.com/ with "Check Your Address for Free TV"
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood
I checked the FCC, and it listed alot of channels(that even she watches) will work fine. I did find out the TV has a digital tuner, so hopefully I won't need a converter box.
--
No Victim=No Crime

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
You have to make use it has a ATSC tuner, which is different that having a QAM tuner ( cable ready )

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
kudos:1
reply to billydunwood
I'm using an of old RadioShack double-bowtie antenna (ca. 70's), myself. All of my local stations have their physical channels on the UHF band, so it works great.

Then for the TV card in my computer: rabbit ears for the FM tuner & a clip-on bowtie for the TV.
--
"I wish Information would stop calling me ma'am!" -- Emory: The Boys in the Band (1970)

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood
I use plain rabbit ears with adjustable rotary switches for fine tuning signals. No amplifier. You need to find a spot where the antenna will not get bumped out of position as ATSC signals are really delicate and and having the antenna stay in the proper position is really important.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood
Antennas are antennas. There's no such thing as an "HDTV antenna". There's no such thing as a "digital antenna".

You just need to make sure the antenna you use covers the frequency bands you wish to receive and has enough gain to receive the stations you want. TV Fool is handy for determining both of these.

Your TV likely has an ATSC tuner, so you should be fine.

billydunwood

united state
said by Bob4:

Antennas are antennas. There's no such thing as an "HDTV antenna". There's no such thing as a "digital antenna".

You just need to make sure the antenna you use covers the frequency bands you wish to receive and has enough gain to receive the stations you want. TV Fool is handy for determining both of these.

Your TV likely has an ATSC tuner, so you should be fine.

ok thanks. I was looking at Fry's Electronics and Amazon, and some higher priced antennas said "amplified" or "digital". Thanks for the clarification. I think we will be getting the Mohu Paper Leaf Antenna, as it has great reviews and it looks nice
--
No Victim=No Crime

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
An amplifier can help. How close to the transmitter(s) are you? (Not sure if you said earlier or not.)

billydunwood

united state
TV Fool said for most of the transmitters, 26 miles. 2 are 120 miles away, but she doesn't watch it.
--
No Victim=No Crime

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
I'm am a little closer to the transmitter sites in my town, and I'm using a short length of coaxial cable with the shielding stripped off for my antenna. 100% decode.