spc
uniqs

RAY16
@cox.net

RAY16 to CoxTech1

Anon

to CoxTech1

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase 01/31/13

I think it might finally be time to retire my old SB5120. I've been having some connection hiccups since this upgrade rolled out (upstream in particular) and I've noticed Cox has moved it into a list of modems that are "compatible" but not recommended since the last time I looked at the supported devices list.

Oh well, time to see if I can find a cheap SB6120 on craigslist or some such.
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

Needleinthha

Last i checked Cox was selling cisco 8 channel for 79 new. Not sure what theyre selling now, but if you buy modem from cox and it has a problem then they will fix it. if you buy from a 3rd party they can just say "oh, its your modem, we cant help you with it". just my 2 cents.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to RAY16

to RAY16
said by RAY16 :

I think it might finally be time to retire my old SB5120. I've been having some connection hiccups since this upgrade rolled out (upstream in particular) and I've noticed Cox has moved it into a list of modems that are "compatible" but not recommended since the last time I looked at the supported devices list.

Oh well, time to see if I can find a cheap SB6120 on craigslist or some such.

Watch out buying pre-owned modem's they could be blacklisted by the isp, and you get screwed with a modem that you can't use. If I was you, I would try to come up with $80, and get a D3 modem from a local cox store. Plus the one's at the cox store's should be 8x4 D3 modem's, unlike the Motorola SB6120 you mentioned, that's a 4x4 D3 modem. Which mean's the 6120 is limited to 4 downstream channel's, and is a older D3 modem. The newer D3 modem's are 8x4, and can bond up to 8 downstream channel's. If you want a motorola modem, look at a Motorola SB6180, or SB6141. The SB6141 modem availability is more, compared to the SB6180, but both are 8x4 D3 modem's.

firerx
join:2005-01-28
Avondale, AZ

firerx

Getting an awful lot of disconnections since the upgrade , hope they fix it soon.

RAY16
@cox.net

RAY16 to lilstone87

Anon

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Watch out buying pre-owned modem's they could be blacklisted by the isp, and you get screwed with a modem that you can't use. If I was you, I would try to come up with $80, and get a D3 modem from a local cox store. Plus the one's at the cox store's should be 8x4 D3 modem's, unlike the Motorola SB6120 you mentioned, that's a 4x4 D3 modem. Which mean's the 6120 is limited to 4 downstream channel's, and is a older D3 modem. The newer D3 modem's are 8x4, and can bond up to 8 downstream channel's. If you want a motorola modem, look at a Motorola SB6180, or SB6141. The SB6141 modem availability is more, compared to the SB6180, but both are 8x4 D3 modem's.

Eh, it's unlikely I'll be moving beyond the preferred tier in the near future and money is tight right now. As much as I'd like to have an 8x4 modem for "future proofing" in case I do go beyond preferred I'm not sure I can do it at the moment. I'll spend a few days looking my options and make a decision based on what I've found.

As for buying a blacklisted used modem, I'm aware of the possibility. Best I can do is just avoid ones that seem suspiciously cheap. Too bad Cox won't give me a free modem for being a customer for so long. ¬_¬

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

You only get a free one if you have their phone service with their EMTA modem. But you can't keep it, you just don't have to pay rent for it.