how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
reply to noc007

Re: Why do they want my social security number?

said by noc007 See Profile

The one that's 15 miles away that "services" my home address and the one that' 3 miles away from work both had grumpy, mean women. I would contribute money towards some giggalos for those ladies. The last time I went to a service center, it was when they were opening and the rep just tore up the first customer; all of the customers were polite and patient so there was no grounds for her to rip the guy a new one just for doing what the phone CSR told him to do.

Giggalos?

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
They want it for the same reasons everyone else has stated before. The deposit "MAY" be returned to you after X months/years of good repayment, but most likely will just be held in deposit with COMCAST, till you terminate your service. The deposit again depending on the area, must be paid before your install date, and can be required to be paid up to a week or so before, or they will cancel the install appointment, and the entire order will need to be setup again. You would lose any and all specials and promos that you were given the first time, and most likely would not be able to get them back. The service center option, is to show a COMCAST representative your ID, so that YOU do not have to be there on the day of install, that another person, wife, child over 18, neighbor, etc..... could be there while you are at work. As stated the deposit is a deposit, it does not cover the first month of service, or anything, and will be returned to you a few weeks after you terminate service with them. The amount can vary depending on what type of service, service level, and equipment you want. The main reason to require it, are the area you live in, has had a past bad history, or that you want a DVR, one of the most $$$$$$$$$$$ pieces of equipment from COMCAST.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Which in most cases is a good share of people now days. Companies that base things off credit is declining. look at the prepaid cell market compared to the contract side. contract is losing customers and prepaid is picking up customers. when more and more companies see that, they'll move away from credit terms. The same as other countries, just the US is slow at that- hence why we still don't use metric for every day living.

prepaid is winning because it doesn't have all the unfees that postpaid does. the providers know if they pull this shit theres no etf or any of the other make money off unhappy subs charges.
--
Despises any post with strings.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to damonlab
Asking for SSN, or possibly, Driver's License, as ID as verification to receive services is nothing new. Charter required my number in 2001 as did my cell phone provider. Landlords and employers run credit inquiries. Comcast Chicago accounts needed ID at least in 2004, if not sooner. TWC only received moved to credit checks which shut down a lot of potential sales. Creating false SSN's and papers for migrant workers, among others, has been a thriving business for years. Add to that, parents using their children's SSN's to obtain utilities. These financial losses add to the regular consumer's cost of service.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by NightOwl2:

Asking for SSN, or possibly, Driver's License, as ID as verification to receive services is nothing new. Charter required my number in 2001 as did my cell phone provider. Landlords and employers run credit inquiries. Comcast Chicago accounts needed ID at least in 2004, if not sooner. TWC only received moved to credit checks which shut down a lot of potential sales. Creating false SSN's and papers for migrant workers, among others, has been a thriving business for years. Add to that, parents using their children's SSN's to obtain utilities. These financial losses add to the regular consumer's cost of service.

When I was 3 years old, we lived in a duplex and the neighbors in the downstairs unit were complete dirtbags with kids (kids ended up getting taken by child protective services) and domestic violence was a nightly occurrence. We ended up moving because my mother feared for our safety.

My mother looked in the phone book and found that they had put the phone in their 18 month old's name because they had the phone shut off for non-payment.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
(OT)Thank your mother for moving you! I worked in protective services many, many years ago, in a rural area, and still shudder at the memories, stories you don't even see on tv.

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to damonlab
Why do they even need to do a credit check? This is not like a cel phone where they subsidize an expensive phone and actually lose money if you stop paying...

If you stop paying your cable bill they simply disconnect you. The company doesn't lose much, and you pay for installation anyway so they already recovered that cost.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

Because if you get cable boxes, DVRs, modems etc... Running a credit check shows how much you can be trusted with their products. It's not only service.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to SpottedCat
They dont lose much, LOL it can easily be more than a phone. Part of the game for many years has been start with minimum and order more to try and get as much as they can. You would be surprised how many one year olds have accounts with comcast. Finally at least comcast has smartened up to make sure the social is at least a certain amount of years old. Nothing like knocking on a door to collect the cable bill to be pointed to a baby as the account holder. No less than a hundred times that happened to me when i worked for comcast. Them days are over thanks to this exact policy.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Identity theft is something totally different. Yes, using your underage child's SS# is still identity theft.

And it doesn't matter how much they lose product wise, it's still theirs.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

ZW_Joe

join:2005-10-08
San Anselmo, CA
reply to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

Because if you get cable boxes, DVRs, modems etc... Running a credit check shows how much you can be trusted with their products. It's not only service.

This has nothing to do with that. Have you ever seen how they treat the hardware when you give it back. They have drop boxes outside their offices. Drop. Boxes.

Companies like Comcast, Experian, etc. are the reason for so much private consumer information being out on the open market. They'll give anyone a cable account, even if you have bad credit. Don't be fooled by this ploy.

They do it because they want to suck as much info about you and then sell it back to marketeers and they can. They don't and can't mark your credit file either, so it's not like getting a car loan. They really shouldn't have access to this, or even need you SSN for anything. It's a stupid cable or Internet service, not something truly important.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
It absolutely does. Get service, then don't pay your bill and see if they don't also charge you for your equipment. I never said they care how it's treated but don't think for one second any company will overlook a chance to charge you full retail price for equipment they own and allow you to use.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to ZW_Joe
LOL. Get service and just show your id and lets see if you stiff them If it doesnt make it to your credit score. Because it most certainly will unless of course they allow people to order service under fake names.

taz291819

join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL
reply to damonlab
They didn't ask me for my SSN, nor did I have to pay a deposit, just the rate for the first month's service.

Though, this may be because I only got internet through them, and I owned my own modem.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to ZW_Joe
said by ZW_Joe:

said by ExoticFish:

This has nothing to do with that. Have you ever seen how they treat the hardware when you give it back. They have drop boxes outside their offices. Drop. Boxes.

Companies like Comcast, Experian, etc. are the reason for so much private consumer information being out on the open market. They'll give anyone a cable account, even if you have bad credit. Don't be fooled by this ploy.

They do it because they want to suck as much info about you and then sell it back to marketeers and they can. They don't and can't mark your credit file either, so it's not like getting a car loan. They really shouldn't have access to this, or even need you SSN for anything. It's a stupid cable or Internet service, not something truly important.

Um no, perhaps you've never worked at an MSO, and have not seen people who purposely sign up several times and purposely not pay their bills, and they rinse and repeat until the MSO catches on and eventually blacklists them from ever getting service again. Having that ID information on file, helps service providers cross reference deadbeats to ensure they're not racking up large bills that will never be paid.

Aozora

join:2008-11-28
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

They dont lose much, LOL it can easily be more than a phone. Part of the game for many years has been start with minimum and order more to try and get as much as they can. You would be surprised how many one year olds have accounts with comcast. Finally at least comcast has smartened up to make sure the social is at least a certain amount of years old. Nothing like knocking on a door to collect the cable bill to be pointed to a baby as the account holder. No less than a hundred times that happened to me when i worked for comcast. Them days are over thanks to this exact policy.

My social is less than one year old. I am over 20 yrs old. You can change socials in your life. That is why I said earlier fixing anything with the government can be hell.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Yea that has been a problem for them. Some people have newer social security numbers for a reason. For them people its a trip to the local office to prove identity and age. Not everyone needs to prove anything. Comcasts computer keeps pretty dam good track of people when it comes to them getting stiffed. But of course most people have more than one person per name. But only one social assigned.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
reply to damonlab
said by damonlab:

I tried to a signup and they said I had to either provide them my social security number, pay a deposit, or visit a service center. I do not like any of those options.

They're calling it a risk assessment check. But they are checking credit in some markets. Cable is/was the only ones left that weren't checking credit.

gustavenla68

join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA
reply to ZW_Joe
said by ZW_Joe See ProfileThis has nothing to do with that. Have you ever seen how they treat the hardware when you give it back. They have drop boxes outside their offices. Drop. Boxes.

[/BQUOTE :

1. They don't need your social security number to sell information about you. Marketers don't care about that. All they care about is your demographics.

2. They do what is a called a soft pull. they also want the information so if you do fail to pay your bill or return equipment they can send it to collections and report it to the credit companies.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to damonlab
You can try business service. Those sharks are so eager to sell you service they grossly misspelled my business name and when they told me they couldn't find the name in the registrar of corporations I just ignored them. They still installed the service and they never asked for a tax ID or SSN.

The only downside is there's a long term contract with stiff termination penalties. In my case, they really couldn't enforce it. Worst case they'll sue a business that does not exist.
--
PRescott7-2097

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
Comcasts front line of defense is their own computer. The fact that they have access to everyone that ever lived at that address and access to every person that ever stiffed them. Clear them two hurdles and your good to go. Im surprised they even checked your state registry because they usually dont. Generally the most important fact is if the last person at that address paid the bill when it was canceled. If no money is owed generally they dont go much further than that and dont require a deposit or social unless of course you are ordering a ton of equipment. Around here a new business wont even show up in the state registry for 1 to 2 months after filing the articles of incorporation.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to damonlab
I routinely refuse to provide my social security number to utility type companies and cable companies. They express surprise, I think because they usually steam roll people into providing it. But there is NO LEGAL basis for their asking for it and they cannot turn you down legally if you refuse to provide it.
Basically I do NOT want my SS# to be housed on multitudes of computers which get routinely hacked.
Companies usually then ask for a slightly larger initial deposit. But they can do all the credit reviews they need w/o a SS#.

In short your SS# is between YOU and the Government period. Nobody else has a legal right to insist on it being given to them.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
So I assume you never had a car loan ?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IanR
Or just say you don't have a social security number. Then they'll want a driver's license/state ID card to provide service. Here in Massachusetts, they require you to provide a social security card (metal version not acceptable) and number to obtain a driver's license/state ID. If you don't have an SSN, you have to show an acceptable letter of denial from the Social Security Administration. They also check the SSN you provide against the computers at Social Security when you go to the DMV.

My driver's license number is a randomly assigned DMV number.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

You can try and spin that a deposit means prepaid all you want. But that is not a deposit. You do not understand the word deposit and prepayment or paid upfront.

If it was paid UP FRONT then it would NOT be a deposit. In fact they would tell you that it was paid up front. A deposit means you're putting money into THEIR ACCOUNT which becomes their's if you default on your bill and or not returning equipment. If you are paid in full and leave you would get that back. That is a deposit.

And yes cable has always been one month in advance expect for PPV/on-demand services.

And yes it is different. You are again, claiming that deposit is a prepayment when in fact it is not.

Correct. From an accounting perspective, the deposit does go into the company's cash flow for its own use, but it is not considered income (a prepayment) for which the company has to pay taxes. In other words, the company owes this money back to the customer.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Comcast bills a month in advance you are always billed for the next months service not for the last.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to IanR
And yes you can refuse to give your social security number and they are also legally ALLOWED to require a deposit for doing so. Which is what they do.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
Try getting a drivers license in the state of PA without a social security number. Not happening any longer. Not post 911, No social security number means no drivers license. Surprised all states are not like that since the homeland security act. Flagged my wife after 28 years of driving because we never changed her social over when we got married. What fun that was. As dar as the DMV is concerned no social means your a terrorist even if you are a 53 year old woman that paid taxes for 38 of them years