rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to joako

Re: Why do they want my social security number?

Comcasts front line of defense is their own computer. The fact that they have access to everyone that ever lived at that address and access to every person that ever stiffed them. Clear them two hurdles and your good to go. Im surprised they even checked your state registry because they usually dont. Generally the most important fact is if the last person at that address paid the bill when it was canceled. If no money is owed generally they dont go much further than that and dont require a deposit or social unless of course you are ordering a ton of equipment. Around here a new business wont even show up in the state registry for 1 to 2 months after filing the articles of incorporation.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to damonlab

I routinely refuse to provide my social security number to utility type companies and cable companies. They express surprise, I think because they usually steam roll people into providing it. But there is NO LEGAL basis for their asking for it and they cannot turn you down legally if you refuse to provide it.
Basically I do NOT want my SS# to be housed on multitudes of computers which get routinely hacked.
Companies usually then ask for a slightly larger initial deposit. But they can do all the credit reviews they need w/o a SS#.

In short your SS# is between YOU and the Government period. Nobody else has a legal right to insist on it being given to them.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

So I assume you never had a car loan ?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IanR

Or just say you don't have a social security number. Then they'll want a driver's license/state ID card to provide service. Here in Massachusetts, they require you to provide a social security card (metal version not acceptable) and number to obtain a driver's license/state ID. If you don't have an SSN, you have to show an acceptable letter of denial from the Social Security Administration. They also check the SSN you provide against the computers at Social Security when you go to the DMV.

My driver's license number is a randomly assigned DMV number.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

You can try and spin that a deposit means prepaid all you want. But that is not a deposit. You do not understand the word deposit and prepayment or paid upfront.

If it was paid UP FRONT then it would NOT be a deposit. In fact they would tell you that it was paid up front. A deposit means you're putting money into THEIR ACCOUNT which becomes their's if you default on your bill and or not returning equipment. If you are paid in full and leave you would get that back. That is a deposit.

And yes cable has always been one month in advance expect for PPV/on-demand services.

And yes it is different. You are again, claiming that deposit is a prepayment when in fact it is not.

Correct. From an accounting perspective, the deposit does go into the company's cash flow for its own use, but it is not considered income (a prepayment) for which the company has to pay taxes. In other words, the company owes this money back to the customer.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

Comcast bills a month in advance you are always billed for the next months service not for the last.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to IanR

And yes you can refuse to give your social security number and they are also legally ALLOWED to require a deposit for doing so. Which is what they do.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Try getting a drivers license in the state of PA without a social security number. Not happening any longer. Not post 911, No social security number means no drivers license. Surprised all states are not like that since the homeland security act. Flagged my wife after 28 years of driving because we never changed her social over when we got married. What fun that was. As dar as the DMV is concerned no social means your a terrorist even if you are a 53 year old woman that paid taxes for 38 of them years