share rss forum feed

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

1 edit

need help deciding Cisco 87x versus Juniper Netscreen 208 VP

I currently have a Cisco 2610 in my personal network, and want to upgrade to something with a bit more throughput, and also possibly using it as my Edge router/VPN specially in my needs is setting a site to site vpn to keep my sons and grandkids from getting me into trouble .

I know the 871 will do it, but seems slower according to this

»www.cisco.com/web/partners/downl···ance.pdf

on the other hand here is what I found on the Juniper 208

»www.newsky.net/userfiles/files/J···0004.pdf

my 3rd alternative is the Cisco 891 and that seems sweet.

any ideas or opinions are welcomed.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
Why not upgrade with something current? ASA 5505, or Juniper SRX 100 for example?

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to rtcy
I have installed a couple of 887 VDSL routers which I believe would also fit the bill. They handle VPN connections using Cisco VPN client software. Unless you have an internet connection that isn't xDSL or 100Mb ethernet to the premises then I can't think why you wouldn't use an 887 with IOS security features. CBAC and ACL's should keep the unauthorised out.
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

3 edits
edit: misread it

just did some looking up the srx 100 seems somewhat comparable(to me) to the cisco 891

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to rtcy
What's your end goal exactly rtcy See Profile? Performance gear on your internet, or learn Cisco and performance
gear on your internet?

871 performs about the same level as a 2610, so no performance benefit there. If your end goal is the first option
above, I'd go for the Netscreen over the 871 anyday.

Also, what's your internet package rated at?

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to rtcy
NetScreen has a reasonably large install base, but SRX is the way forward.

If youre looking to familiarise with Juniper, then an SRX is probably the way to go since it runs JunOS and is therefore more like their routing and switching products, so youre getting more learning bang for your buck.

SRX are also very cheap for a rather powerful box (according to the specs anyway.) I recently bought myself a brand new SRX-110 on special for only $300.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

1 edit
reply to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

What's your end goal exactly rtcy See Profile? Performance gear on your internet, or learn Cisco and performance
gear on your internet?

871 performs about the same level as a 2610, so no performance benefit there. If your end goal is the first option
above, I'd go for the Netscreen over the 871 anyday.

Also, what's your internet package rated at?

Regards

more or less both, last night I pulled the trigger and payed for the Netscreen 208, if anything this box looks too good to be true for a home user.

As for the 2610, I love tha box too, thinking about getting a CISCO NM-1FE-TX Network Module and playing around with that too, but it's for just learning.

The 208 OTH is going to be replacing the Verizon router and using it as the edge box with a vpn tunnel to one of the VPN providers and getting the whole house in that tunnel.

Don't know if it will work , but will try it out. that's where the 871 is so easy as it behaves more like a personal routers that the professional units.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to rtcy
Too good to be true with these specs?

ScreenOS version support ScreenOS 5.4
Firewall performance 375 Mbps
3DES+SHA-1 performance 175 Mbps
Concurrent sessions 128,000(5)
New sessions/second 11,500
Policies 4,000
Interfaces 8 10/100 Base-T

I was looking for a netscreen for myself awhile back, believe me I wanted to go for the 208 due to the higher number
of physical interfaces, but couldn't find one so I ended up getting a NS-50. I haven't benched it, but I'm very sure
it'll handle a 100Mb home internet connection without breaking a sweat and come back for seconds monday thru
friday and twice on the weekend.

If you have spare cash left over, look into the 891, or an 180x or 181x. Both are in the same performance class,
and IMO, the 180x / 181x can likely be found for cheaper 2nd hand versus the 891.

My 00000010bits

Regards

aryoba
Premium,MVM
I have not done benchmarking between ASA and Netscreen. We did however benchmarking between comparable model of ASA and SRX, and the SRX outperformed ASA in regards of inspection since the ASA took significant load while the SRX did not even blip.

HELLFIRE
Premium
If we're comparing apples to apples, Netscreen should've been tested against a PIX, ASA to SSG, and SRX to an X-series ASA.

But hey, it's your lab environment aryoba

Regards

aryoba
Premium,MVM
SSG is aging product as TomS_ See Profile said. PIX Firewall is even EOL. So there is no point to do benchmarking on those in business critical environment

ASA OS has less functionality than JUNOS on SRX, such as inability to run BGP, which in some business critical environment is a requirement. In addition to more money to spend in having ASA-X, the choice to go with SRX as firewall was a good one