Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to ccallana

Re: Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Benchmarked Compared Clock-for-Clock

said by ccallana:

30% gains in any product are not reasonable year on year. Especially in a mature market.

And I would venture to say Intel is *not* slowing down on CPU performance - but if you look at the general computing market, for the *vast* majority of users, there is no need for huge jumps in performance. So where the huge volumes are, there is no need to spend a bunch of money to increase basic desktop/laptop CPU performance by huge leaps and bounds. So in the volume products, other areas are likely being focused on. In the performance markets, Workstation, Server, high-end desktop, etc - there is plenty of new horsepower coming.

Keep in mind Intel is a publicly traded company, with a huge advantage in their old market, but is a nobody in the market that most people care about these days - tablets and phones. As a company, they *have* to become a major player in that market, or be moved into irrelevance. So don't be surprised when much of the company's energy is being sent that way - it is vital for the survival of the entire company.

To be honest I didn't expect much of a (CPU) performance increase from Ivy Bridge and I don't expect much of a (CPU) performance increase from Haswell.

Everything you said above is basically what I expected or surmised and I thought I said something similar earlier in the thread.

So no I wouldn't be surprised by a shift in priorities on such products.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA

Haswell introduces AVX2,FMA3,BMI2, and TSX. Don't expect much from legacy programs but it should give a big increase to optimized programs.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Thats assuming the developers properly optimize.

Still thats a good point. the IPC boost may not be much, and the igp may be useless to most of us here, but there are other features that could entice us to upgrade.