how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EddieT

join:2010-01-16
Dubuque, IA

[Cable HSI] Wifi question

I have a question regarding mediacom's internet set up. My grandma has mediacom cable but no other services, she is interested in getting a kindle fire and you really need internet to use that. She really doesn't want to get a PC and as far as I know you need one to set up wifi.

So my question is, can mediacom somehow set up wifi in her home without the need of a computer?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1

Most techs have netbooks also tech support can configure the gateway from their end.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:95

If your grandmother needed the wireless set up I could take care of that for you here.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
reply to EddieT

She is still debating, I just want to know if it's possible that they can set up internet and wifi in her home without the use of a PC.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

said by EddieT:

She is still debating, I just want to know if it's possible that they can set up internet and wifi in her home without the use of a PC.

yes
--

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL
reply to EddieT

Yes. The Kindle has a web browser built in. The router uses a browser based set up. Or as Chad said, if you rent a wireless modem from Mediacom he can set it up remotely for you.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
reply to EddieT

thanks for answering the question guys

Just curious, what router does mediacom use?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Our most common is the Cisco DPC3825

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

Which is a POS router... Had one here, it kept rebooting, overheating, and dying.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA

can't say I was happy with the cisco router I bought at the store, you guys should stock netgear, never had a problem with that brand.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Thank you for the recommendation.

Has the service been setup for your grandmother?

EddieT

Dubuque, IA

Not yet, she still has to buy a tablet. But I have another question.

Will mediacom set up wifi if she has her own router (instead of renting one from you)? And will the tech connect a PS3 and kindle fire to the wifi once set up?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Unfortunately we would not have access to the wireless router so we could not set that up remotely. Technicians are not required to set up additional equipment.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA

how much does it cost for renting a router?

StreatorTech

join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL
reply to MediacomChad

From my experience, it depends on the tech doing the install if they will set up a personally owned router. I used to do it for customers, but I do not any longer as we offer a wifi product and I see that as a conflict of interest.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

said by StreatorTech:

From my experience, it depends on the tech doing the install if they will set up a personally owned router. I used to do it for customers, but I do not any longer as we offer a wifi product and I see that as a conflict of interest.

I still do it. Why not?
--

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
reply to StreatorTech

by conflict of interest, you mean your pocket books then I can see that being a problem.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

By default, techs are advised not to install third party routers as we do not support them and cannot guarantee that they will be setup properly. If the tech that comes out knows how to set it up and is willing to then it is up to him as to whether or not he wants to.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
reply to EddieT

Getting back to my question, or perhaps I should note you chad, what is the rates on wifi router and different internet prices for my area?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Send me an IM and I will look over this for you.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to EddieT

EddieT,

How did the install go? Is everything working properly for your grandmother? Please let me know if you or her need any further assistance!

EddieT

Dubuque, IA

I've herd the guy came and got it set up but couldn't get the PS3 connected. I'm just waiting to get over a cold so I can go get it connected for her.

Thanks for the help Chad.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to EddieT

You're welcome. Hope you feel better soon