spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gtatech

join:2012-08-23
reply to Al198947

Re: [Extreme] Rogers Bandwidth Counter Incorrect?

Hi Everyone, FYI my friend noticed his usage going through the roof as well. After several conversations with tech support on how bandwidth is metered, it's apparently done on the Rogers Router / Modem. His Cisco modem was faulty causing the spike and inaccurate overages. After replacing the modem usage returned to normal. I have the same Cisco modem and noticed that my bandwidth usage has been going through the roof mind you we have been using the Internet more heavily this month, none the less its time to switch to an ISP without Caps.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Yeah, I am pretty sure the tech support agent is talking out his butt. The modem from my understanding doesn't have anything to do with keeping track of usage. If it did, it would have been hacked long ago, since the super user passwords are readily available on the internet.

A bad modem, I still don't see how this could cause serious overages. Data is either being sent/received or its not. The modem merely connects to the Rogers infrastructure, and passes all the data via the connected devices. It doesn't really create data to send, not in the volume needed to effect our usage.

From my understanding anyway. I am sure there is more tech savy folks on the modem stuff that could elaborate, but, that just doesn't make sense to me. Yes, switching the modem appeared to solve the problem, but, I don't see why or how. If it did work, I would love to know why, just because I love to know how things work.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

Yup quite likely talking out of his butt ... the data tranferred is measured at the "Service Engines" (the dreaded throttling boxes) or at the CMTS routers.

Changing a modem is going to change the MAC of the router, and hence its assigned IP address. So if you have someone doing dos attacks or other such transfers to your IP, it will go away.

This shows that it's basically, externally initiated traffic, not traffic from you.