Hilo, HI

Mele20 to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 Review

said by JohnInSJ:

said by goalieskates:

said by JohnInSJ:

I guess he didn't watch the video windows 8 plays you when you install it.

No, I think it's more a case of do you use your pc recreationally or to get work done.

Intro videos are nice, but some of us need to produce. That often means multitasking, for example. Anything that slows us down costs us time and money.

I don't get this at all. My statement was simply that he didn't bother to learn the three new gestures he needed to use Metro. Swipe down (or right click with mouse) Swipe in from right (or mouse to right corner) and Swipe in from left (or mouse to left corner)

There, you learned everything you need to know for Metro.

What are you guys talking about an Intro video that plays when you start Win 8 the first time? THERE IS NO SUCH THING. You just get thrown on the OS and Microsoft tries to FORCE you to create a Microsoft account to use instead of a local account so they can track you all the time. There is NO video...no orientation to the weirdness that comprises Win 8 on the Metro side and that is totally worthless if you have a desktop. All Metro does is slow you down and there is no way to completely stay off Metro. If I could stay on the Desktop ALWAYS I could be ok with Win 8 but I am forced to Metro (even with Start8) because search on desktop doesn't work for some things. You must search on Metro. That sucks badly and I still may downgrade to Win 7 because of this.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

What are you guys talking about an Intro video that plays when you start Win 8 the first time?

We're talking about the video that plays while it is "preparing for first use" - I have done 10 installs, it's played that same video 10 times. Even on the Surface RT.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Mele20:

What are you guys talking about an Intro video that plays when you start Win 8 the first time?

We're talking about the video that plays while it is "preparing for first use" - I have done 10 installs, it's played that same video 10 times. Even on the Surface RT.

Correct. I've also done at least 2 dozen installs of Windows 8. At some point in the install process, you get the little demo that we are talking about.

I also believe that once Windows 8 is installed and running, if you create a new user account (not sure if it has to be a local user, or it can be a Microsoft Account), it will also run that little demo too on the very first time you login to that new account.

It shows you how to "move the mouse to any corner" and the Charms bar will come up. The video shows the mouse moving to the top right corner, and then the Charms bar pops out. However, if you move the mouse to the top left corner, or the bottom left corner, you don't get the charms bar, so that is a bit mis-leading. However, if you follow what the video shows, and not what the text says, you will have no problems getting the charms bar to pop up.

Here's a video from Youtube that shows this. Start watching around the 6:30 mark to see what we are talking about. The Screen will be black, and the text "Check out the new way to use Windows" will be displayed.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gSxulr_4

--Brian