uniqs
SyphonBW
join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH

SyphonBW to cleanaudi

to cleanaudi

Re: [TWC] TW Internet Ultra 50/5mbit getting only 1mb/sec Usenet

Im using usenetserver i get full 50 mb all the time if i dont use SSL
if i do enable SSL i will only get 10mb or less.

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria

said by SyphonBW:

Im using usenetserver i get full 50 mb all the time if i dont use SSL
if i do enable SSL i will only get 10mb or less.

SSL = totally useless for usenet.

UNS: 10 connections, average 32.5 mbit 24/7 on 30/5 plan

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by Elyria:

I wouldnt say it is useless. It certainly has its uses for ISP related issues.

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria

said by swintec:

said by Elyria:

I wouldnt say it is useless. It certainly has its uses for ISP related issues.

Not knowledgeable how the SSL relationship with the ISP is utilized , unless it's anon abilities are what you're referring to .
I do know, that the usage slows downloads. If the session keys to encrypt and decrypt were fast enough to keep up.......we wouldn't see any difference using it. Right ?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Elyria:

Not knowledgeable how the SSL relationship with the ISP is utilized , unless it's anon abilities are what you're referring to .
I do know, that the usage slows downloads. If the session keys to encrypt and decrypt were fast enough to keep up.......we wouldn't see any difference using it. Right ?

Plenty of users (quite a few in European countries) use it to get around traffic shaping and throttling issues seen on non-encrypted traffic / ports from ISPs.

Also, keep in mind that NNTP passes login information in plain text. SSL / NNTPS would be useful if you were on a public wifi network.

I wouldn't say it slows downloads necessarily, just makes downloads marginally longer. If you have a 50 MBit connection, your newsreader will still show you downloading at 50 MBits with SSL enabled, it will simply take a bit longer since there is SSL related data in the packets...which leaves less room for the actual data that you want. So essentially, you need an increase of data packets to come up with the end result....but it will still download at the same speed reflected in your newsreader.