signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Octavean

Re: Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Benchmarked Compared Clock-for-Clock

Ok, and it doesn't actually affect me anyways because I can't afford it. But why a new socket?

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
New sockets are usually driven by some new external technology - DDR3 to DDR4 for instance, or the need for more power/ground connections. While I can't say for certain, some changes are made just to physically prevent older parts from getting plugged in - usually for a good reason, like the voltages are different, etc - because even though a package says "this isn't supported" - if it fits, somebody will plug it in, and then claim no fault. What I can say, is that the reason is never "oooh, oooh, here is a way we can screw the system builders and make them buy more parts, let's change the socket!"
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Then why has AMD stuck with the same socket for years?

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
That's one of the things that annoyed me about Intel for years but I overlook it because Intel has been pouncing on AMD for years ever since the Core 2 Duo came out and AMD has yet to really come back with an answer to Intel's dominance.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)