signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Octavean

Re: Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Benchmarked Compared Clock-for-Clock

Ok, and it doesn't actually affect me anyways because I can't afford it. But why a new socket?

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

New sockets are usually driven by some new external technology - DDR3 to DDR4 for instance, or the need for more power/ground connections. While I can't say for certain, some changes are made just to physically prevent older parts from getting plugged in - usually for a good reason, like the voltages are different, etc - because even though a package says "this isn't supported" - if it fits, somebody will plug it in, and then claim no fault. What I can say, is that the reason is never "oooh, oooh, here is a way we can screw the system builders and make them buy more parts, let's change the socket!"
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Then why has AMD stuck with the same socket for years?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

That's one of the things that annoyed me about Intel for years but I overlook it because Intel has been pouncing on AMD for years ever since the Core 2 Duo came out and AMD has yet to really come back with an answer to Intel's dominance.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)